JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Friend has an old school Winchester 243 Bolt action.

It has an odd Scope " Hurricane" ...is all it says.

Shoots fine
BUT
There is No way to adjust the scope.
No Turrets

How was this done??

Looks to be Weaver Mounts.......There are 2 seperate mounts on Receiver F/R

Mounts do not look adjustable.

How is it possible to "adjust " the cross hairs.

I Find Nothing on the internet.....This is likely 50's -60's Vintage +-.

Quite curious if theres an answer from the Hive??????????????????

Adjustable mounts were common then. Many different styles.

And sometimes the scope used non-adjustable bases and shims were used.

No "dialing" allowed! :)

Photos might help answer the question.

Bruce

I had a Hurricane scope on a Parker Hale .270 years ago, but it must have been a newer model, as it had conventional turrets/adjustments. Looked like this:

I'd be very interested in seeing a picture of those mounts. Here's Leupold's version of adjustable mounts ("Adjusto mount") from the '50's (in this case, mounted on a Mannlicher, with a 2.5x Weaver: conventional turret adjustment). This mount operates on cone screws, much as a Conetrol or S & K, and Leupold's early scopes like the Pioneer had no internal adjustments.

In a scenario like this, a fully adjustable mount allows for better centering of the reticle within in the travel range of the scope's adjustments (for a better quality of sight picture).

1676561386824.jpeg

It was common then to use adjustable mounts with an adjustable scope. Early scopes had a moving reticle in the view. It could end up way off center. Later scopes used a moving image, with constantly centered reticle. This was a big advertising feature until it became normal for all scopes.

Bruce

I had a Hurricane scope on a Parker Hale .270 years ago, but it must have been a newer model, as it had conventional turrets/adjustments. Looked like this:

I'd be very interested in seeing a picture of those mounts. Here's Leupold's version of adjustable mounts ("Adjusto mount") from the '50's (in this case, mounted on a Mannlicher, with a 2.5x Weaver: conventional turret adjustment). This mount operates on cone screws, much as a Conetrol or S & K, and Leupold's early scopes like the Pioneer had no internal adjustments.

In a scenario like this, a fully adjustable mount allows for better centering of the reticle within in the travel range of the scope's adjustments (for a better quality of sight picture).

View attachment 1366588
Were in the same town.

I looked over the mounts for a whille......No slotted holes in the Base to Receiver.

No screws on the side of mounts like Luepold bases from back in the day.

I i'll try and grab a pic of this as its one of those "How did they..." questions.

No other verbage on the scope we could find........Almost wanted to pull it off to have a better look but..Its close where its at so ..Leave it alone.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top