JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yet it is a very capable round.
It is.

I like the .44 mag better, but there is no .44 Casull or the equivalent of the .460 mag

There is the .445 Super Mag, but it never really took off and only DW made a revolver for it as far as I know.

And I wanted to have something that would shoot .45 LC so I got the .460V - when i saw one available I decided that was as good a choice as the rest - as the Ruger SRH was about as large and heavy but only went up to .454 Casull

Once upon a time I had one of every model of Model 29 made between 1956 and 1995, but that was long ago.

Now this is what I shoot here in yUK...........357 Mag Super Redhawk - 12" bbl and Burris 2 -7x24 scope

View attachment 321282

At an guest day last month, a guy walked up to me while I was reloading it, showed me his FAC [allowing him to buy such a piece] and offered me $3200 in my hand for it. :eek:

How ridiculous is that? :rolleyes:

tac
Is that a shoulder stock on the bottom of the grip?

Is that a shoulder stock on the bottom of the grip?

Nossir, its a piece of circular rod welded into the bottom of the grip frame to make the whole thing 24" long.

upload_2016-11-5_20-38-23.png

Apparently that makes it so difficult for a criminal to carry that they resort to using MAC10s, Skorpions, UZIs, any kind of Glock, Makarov or copies thereof, AKs of any kind...

Makes sense to somebody, I guess, although not to me.

Needless to say, since they became 'popular' in the early 2000s, not a single one of them has ever been stolen and used in crime.

tac

Nossir, its a piece of circular rod welded into the bottom of the grip frame to make the whole thing 24" long.

View attachment 321289

Apparently that makes it so difficult for a criminal to carry that they resort to using MAC10s, Skorpions, UZIs, any kind of Glock, Makarov or copies thereof, AKs of any kind...

Needless to say, since they became 'popular' in the early 2000s, not a single one of them has ever been stolen and used in crime.

tac
:s0140:

View attachment 321289

tac
Well I, for one, feel safer just knowing that you have that rod welded to your gat.

It is.

I like the .44 mag better, but there is no .44 Casull or the equivalent of the .460 mag

There is the .445 Super Mag, but it never really took off and only DW made a revolver for it as far as I know.

And I wanted to have something that would shoot .45 LC so I got the .460V - when i saw one available I decided that was as good a choice as the rest - as the Ruger SRH was about as large and heavy but only went up to .454 Casull

I love the three cartridge capability of the 460. That alone makes it more appealing to me than the 500 magnum. Not that I have either.

If I were to hot load for a .45 LC firearm, I would use cut down .454 Casull brass instead of .45 LC brass, as the latter is probably a lot stronger. My understanding is that the .45 LC brass has a weak web. The .454 brass is thicker? Maybe less capacity when cut down to .45 LC length, but with the right powder a person could probably compensate for it.

I am shopping for ammo for the .460V

Probably won't buy any hot .45 LC ammo, get .454 or .460 instead. Probably .454 for deer hunting, .460 for bigger game.

Big Horn Armory makes a lever action in .460 and .500 - tempting, but expensive.

Wouldn't you have something with that lever action? I have been tempted by the 460 more than once over the years but have always found a reason not to. I think I am afraid that I won't like it and that the resale market will be rather thin.

I don't think you would have a problem reselling a 460V

But once you get too much above $1500 then the market gets "thin" as you say.

The BHA lever actions start around $3K and go up from there.

That market (and above) is fairly thin for used rifles at that price range - especially if it isn't a safe queen and was actually used for hunting. Even new I bet they don't get many orders and probably don't build the rifle until they get a deposit.

The BHA sounds onterestinf, nonetheless. I can imagine if I brought of those home I would be sleeping on the couch. And the couch would be in the front yard.

I was thinking that the 460 might be a slower resale not so much on price as maybe not so many people like the really big boomers. But upon further reflection that's probably
wrong. I imagine there is a whole class of shooters for whom a 44 mag would be minor league.

The 406V is about like a .44 magnum in a 629 with 6" barrel IMO.

I have only shot the 200 grain load though - I am sure that the 300+ grain full loads are more stiff - they are in the .44 magnum. I will find out when I get some.

I was tempted to get the BHA, but I have other things that I want more. I can afford it, but it is a matter of choices as I cannot afford every gun I would like to have, and I don't shoot that much anymore, so I have to prioritize.

I may just roll the dice on the 460. Again, the versatility of ammuntion is appealing. The 329 is more of a gamble, I think, but for some reason it appeals to me more. Maybe it's the big boomer carry gun thing. I don't know. I have a 3 inch 629 that is big bore carry capable, but you never for a minute forget you're lugging around that big chunk of metal. On the longer jaunts I think the 329 would really shine when size and weight become more important.

I'm a little late to the party, but this is my newest acquisition.
IMG_0006.JPG
Dan Wesson 44 8" built in the early 80's. I found it on Gunbroker for about half of what all the others were going for so I just couldn't pass it up. It has a bit of the discoloration that these guns are known for but I think it adds character. Got to shoot it for the first time yesterday and that long barrel and shroud really tame the recoil. This is one I will never get rid of, though I will be keeping an eye out for 4 and 6" barrels.

If I were to hot load for a .45 LC firearm, I would use cut down .454 Casull brass instead of .45 LC brass, as the latter is probably a lot stronger. My understanding is that the .45 LC brass has a weak web. The .454 brass is thicker? Maybe less capacity when cut down to .45 LC length, but with the right powder a person could probably compensate for it.

I am shopping for ammo for the .460V

Probably won't buy any hot .45 LC ammo, get .454 or .460 instead. Probably .454 for deer hunting, .460 for bigger game.

Big Horn Armory makes a lever action in .460 and .500 - tempting, but expensive.
This was my understanding as well. The 454 creates about 3times the pressure of a LC. But even the LC has more capacity than a 44 mag,so if you cut the 454 cases down you can load them to higher pressures.
Make sure your gun can handle it. Don't do this thru a cheaper single action gun.( for others reading that don't have a ruger)
Now the Redhawk did come in the 480 "ruger" instead of the S&W caliber,the 460.;)
My buddy loaded his for me with 3 shots. I took one and gave it back.lol
I was investigating these big calibers a while back and ran into a thread,that became a pissin match of course,lol
Everyone telling why their caliber was better.
One guy said he had tried most every one of these calibers up to and including the 500.
He said he could kill anything with his 44 mag just as dead as with the others.... without the nasty recoil and expense of the ammos

My dad was, and still is a wheel gun guy. He doesn't own an auto, so my first pistol was an H&R .22, followed by a Smith mdl 43 (still have this one), then a Dakota SA in .45 LC., Blackhawk .41 mag, another in .45 LC, and one in 30 carbine. A very early NAA .22 short revolver, and now a newer .22 mag also. Two I still kick myself for letting go are a nickel Colt Cobra 2", and an Agent 2". Have the Smith 360PD (brutal to shoot, but awesome carry), a beautiful 686-3, I'm sure I'm forgetting some..

I didn't own an auto until the late 90's when I purchased my first Sig Sauer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top