JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Discussions about revolvers only (my motorcycle forum has this, why not here?).

Someone yesterday asked me if I ever shot a revolver.

Here are the ones I have owned and/or shot (not my pics - found online):

First one (I may have shot a friends revolvers before this, I can't remember as it was 40+ years ago):

8567-1.jpg

High Standard Sentinel Mark IV in .22 LR

Gross trigger, mediocre to okay accuracy, too barrel heavy, the chambers would get dirty way too fast.

5800cb8ecc1cf179422005a5ae62fada.jpg

Dan Wesson .44 Mag with 6" ported barrel. Most accurate revolver I ever owned. Had a problem at first with too light hammer, but they fixed it. Competed it pin shooting in college for fun. Carried hiking and in Alaska - too heavy, but a pleasure to shoot.

After carrying that around all over the place and being tired of the weight, I went the other way:

Charter_Arms_Bulldog_2.JPG

Charter Arms .44 Special Bulldog. Got some Pachmyer grips for it, but still a bit much in the recoil dept. - not bad, but not pleasant. Carried this when hunting/hiking. Sold it to a friend's son's wife so she could give it to him as a Xmas present.

625a%20%2013.jpg

Ruger SP101 snubby in .357 Mag. I really like the design of Ruger DA revolvers, very stout and modular. Put Wolff springs in this, but the recoil and muzzle blast were not to my liking. I wanted a longer barrel to. Sold it to a friend who begged me to sell it to him, then a year later wanted to sell it back.

But I had already bout this - Taurus "Total Titanium" (model 627) .357 Mag:

627SH4C.jpg

Despite it being really light weight, between the porting and the ribbed (for your pleasure :D) grips, it is a pussycat to shoot. Came from the factory with less than 0.001" cylinder gap, so cylinder refused to revolve or open after first 50 rounds through it. Trigger is gritty - needs action work.

Taurus .44 Mag model 444 with 6" barrel:

647227_ts.jpg

Took this in trade from a buddy who really needed a semi so I traded him an extra Glock 21 I had bought on a whim.

Best trigger of any revolver I ever owned - go figure! Taurus makes crap one day and makes great stuff the next. Mild shooting with a 6" ported barrel, but heavy. Never carried it - too heavy. Traded/sold it at a gun show.

163414_01_lg.jpg
S&W .329 PD. Do you see a pattern here? Mild recoil heavy revolvers to lightweight boomers?

The .329PD will bust your hand - even my SIL doesn't like to shoot it more than a few times. In my old hands it makes them tingle for half an hour after shooting anything in it, including .44 special. Still my favorite though because of how it handles and how light it is. Not for plinking, but a great "field gun" for hunting/hiking/etc. - going to have it ported and some different sights and try the X-frame grips on it from this:

163465_01_lg.jpg
Even with the .460 Mag loads (300 grain Hornady IIRC) it is lighter recoiling than the .329 PD. Oh you know you've touched off a magnum, but totally controllable in comparison. Just a monster of a revolver to carry - very heavy and huge. 454 is ok to shoot and .45 LC is mild in it. Got it on a whim because I wanted something in .45 LC and S&W doesn't make a Scandium in .45 LC (does in .45 ACP). Trigger and action are nice and I will have the cylinder modified to take .45 ACP too.

d34d3fdeb5eb8d95698cb414f8e9524a.jpg
S&W R8

Nice action and build. A bit barrel heavy - would have preferred it be more balanced. Bought this on a whim too (and paid too much) - but wanted something more reliable in .357 Mag than that Taurus.

That's it for now. If S&W ever brings out a scandium in .45 LC I may get that, but the only revolver left on my list to get now is this:

Mvc-010f.jpg

S&W 317 Kit gun. Wish they made it with a 4 to 5 inch barrel, then it would be perfect.

Last Edited:
Nice.
I'll have to make a note to contribute to this thread.
About a separate revolver forum, I'm against it.
How else would those self shucker bois know of the elegance of der wheelgunigans unless it's right under their noses!?
so no

Revolvers I haven't owned but shot.

Ruger Blackhawks in .357 and .44 mag. I don't like SA revolver grips, but it is fun to shoot them with light loads - a little.

Colt Python and Diamondback. I don't care for the wood grips. Nice action, but the style is doesn't appeal to me.

Shot one of the Spanish or Brazilian clones of a S&W - can't remember if it was a Taurus or something else. Long time ago. I think it was a Llama?

Oh - I forgot. Got this (or pretty close to it) as a present for my dad:

SWModel10.jpg

He had an older M&P before I was born. I think he sold it to pay bills. He talked about it from time to time, so I found a nice one in and an original box, at a gun show and gave it to him for his birthday.

Nice.
I'll have to make a note to contribute to this thread.
About a separate revolver forum, I'm against it.
How else would those self shucker bois know of the elegance of der wheelgunigans unless it's right under their noses!?
so no

I have both semis and revolvers.

If I had no need for self-defense from people, I would only have revolvers as I consider them more versatile, but less robust (actually easier to break and get mucked up in the field).

They each have their pros and cons

Just a few to show this time.
A 625 I bought new in 1989.
revolvers 008.JPG
A ported 606 Taurus, .357. Porting works very well. Shooting 38's, little felt recoil and no muzzle rise.
revolvers 006.JPG
A 445 Taurus, 44 special. Is a third lighter than the above 357. Recoil is not bad but does have a sharp slap to it. 2" patterns at 25' with 240 grain slugs.
revolvers 007.JPG

I really liked the Dan Wesson 15 I've shot before. It also looks real nice. It might be just me but I think a revolver with a full length under lug and a ventilated rib on top is just dang Sexy.

Gp100 6", first and only revolver I ever owned/shot.

I really loved it.

Traded for some cash and into a low end 1911 which ultimately is a better carry gun but not as nice of a woods gun.

I'll buy another someday.

Have my great grandads .38sl police special (or detective, can't remember) and a box of 50 low power rounds for it but my dad asked me to not shoot it so I'll address that when he isn't around anymore. That and someone put the wrong grips on it so they didn't even fit:confused:.

Totally forgot I have an ancient SAO .22lr I got for almost nothing.

Fun gun to shoot and has maybe 1 lb trigger on it (hardly have to touch the trigger when it's cocked). It need the sights done something with because it shoots 8" low at 20 feet...

I have a S&W 629 half lug, a 44 Magnum in Stainless with Hogue grips. Charter Arms Pittbull in 40 S&W and another in 9MM. A blued 6" Ruger GP-100 a 357 with Hogue grips, Three screw Blackhawk 357. Taurus 605 a 357 snubby. S&W 637 J frame 38 with Ergo Delta Grip. Ruger LCP in 38 and a LCP six shooter in 327 Federal Magnum with the longer Hogue tamer grip, it needs it with the stout 327 Federal Magnum Loads, a pussycat shooting 32 H&R Magnums. Heritage Rough Rider single action in 22 Magnum. NAA 1 7/8 22 Magnum. Another Ruger LCP, eight shooter in 22 LR. And finally a first year Colt Frontier Scout in 22 LR.

For 'collections' sake, i want something S&W, short and blued, for .38's - OR (maybe and) the Model 29, again, mostly just for collecting.

I've come to the conclusion that i don't care too much if i don't have the dies/reload for these extra calibres (.303 British, .44 Magnum etc) that i'm far less likely to shoot them as often, so just buying retail ammo would be fine for those.

My first handgun was a Smith & Wesson Model 19 purchased back in about 1984 and I've been hooked ever since. At this point I have about as many revolvers as I do autoloaders. Most of what I have are Smith's although I do have the odd Colt, Charter Arms, Taurus, and Hawes. I carry a compact 1911 because of the size but I prefer to shoot revolvers. No matter what I am practicing with at the range I always have a Smith Model 10 in the bag for fun.

Not sure if we need a revolver only section. Why segregate the pistol guys from revolver fun?

I am a revolver guy. I also own autos, but wheelguns make me happy. 2x357 maximums, one never fired on the box. 29-2 smith, 27-2, smith model 68 (yes 68) a 480 ruger...and few others,,,all enjoyable to load for and shoot.

I am a revolver wannabe guy. I love shooting them but I suck at getting good marks with them. It's just all over the target... But then I'm pretty much new to the revolver world anyway.

I currently have S&W M500, 637, and Ruger Redhawk 45LC. While I enjoy shooting the SW revolvers a lot, I am having some trouble with the Redhawk as its cylinder gets stuck and it's just getting out of control. Not funny at all.

Bought it new and shot 115 rounds so far. Cleaned & lubed the trigger unit according to the instruction from Ruger with a hope that it would fix the issue. Well.....no luck, so I'm making a phone call to Ruger to tomorrow send it in for repair. :(

Have a few firearms from Ruger, but from my personal experience, I'm convinced that they indeed have QC issues. But they haven't lost business from me as they have outstanding quality in their customer service.

On the other hand... the M500 is fun to shoot and I dream of a day that I can create a nice and tight 8" group at 50ft with it. Having said that, I still suck even with the 637. But I can dream it at least, right? I'm sure it will be a long journey for me, but I have been enjoying walking through it.

Last Edited:
My first was a S&W model 17 K-22 Masterpiece, 6" barrel, adjustable target sights, target hammer, target trigger and target grips. So smooth and such a tack driver...

Then a S&W model 28-2 Highway Patrolman, 6" barrel, tuned action, smooth as glass. That was a beautiful revolver.

Taurus model 82, 3" blued, back in the late 80's. Round butt, reasonable smooth revolver for the price point. That was back in the days when Taurus had some quality in their revolvers and they really mimicked Smiths.

Taurus model 85, 2" barrel, blued. Shot so much it was almost like having an action job done on it. That was a great revolver, ate 10's of thousands of rounds, trouble free...

Taurus model 66, 4" blued. Very smooth action, nice solid performer. Very accurate... Well balanced...

And finally this year my first stainless revolver, a Rossi 352, 2"... Very smooth action, nice solid lockup, have about 1,200 rounds through it so far and still very pleased... Accurate as a 2".38 can be, certainly more accurate than its operator... A sharp looking little revolver... We'll see if it turns out to be durable...

Some folks think I am a dinosaur, and I only like revolvers.

Not entirely true, as sometimes I like wine, too.

And carrying multiple revolvers means I don't have to carry all those awkward spare magazines.

WAYNO.

P1000597.jpg GEDC0557.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR