JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not a handgun hunter so I have no firsthand experience, but anecdotally I know of 10mm being used to hunt in some of
it's hotter iterations. 357 sig, though a fantastic round and one of my favorites, seems a bit light. I agree that the gap between pistol and rifle is a formidable one.

A 357 magnum fired from one of Dan Coonan's pistols might be an interesting experiment. If nothing else it would lead to hearing loss in the intended target, making it harder for them to hear you coming the next time.

I don't hunt anymore and when I did I didn't hunt with a handgun IIRC back then they didn't allow hunting with a handgun - dinosaurs are hard to put down with a handgun. :D

But I do carry a revolver sometimes while in "the field" and when I was hunting. Around here there are cougars, coyotes and bears, not to mention feral dogs. Never had a problem with wildlife attacking me, but dogs, yes, I've had them chase me when walking or biking past a property, and I have seen lately what I suspect is a feral dog here on the mountain (city people who dump their dogs out here).

When I used to work in Alaska and Montana I would carry a DW .44 Mag with bear loads. Now I would carry a S&W 329 PD - much lighter.

Be a toss up as to who that 329 would hurt more, you or that feral dog.

With bear loads it is a bear to shoot! :D

With 165 gr or 180 gr Hornady Critical Defense in .44 Special it is okay, but you still know you have shot a very light handgun. I am going to try the grips from my 460V on it and definitely get it ported. I don't need the "bear loads" here in Oregon, but I hang onto them in case I ever go back the brown bear country. Shooting them is not fun.

I think I read somewhere that the X-frame grips help considerably with the recoil impulse of the 329. Porting probably would as well, I imagine. You are a better man (or woman) than I am, Heretic; I've yet to subject myself to The Beast. Always liked the tiny bones in my hand just the way they are.

The 329 is a beast. With the bear loads it numbs my hands. Even a standard 240 gr. load makes my hands tingle. I have yet to shoot anything from it that is fun to shoot - haven't tried my light loads yet (something like 5 grains of bullseye with a cast bullet).

The worst recoiling handguns have always been the light guns - a Grendel .380 was the worst - it actually left bruises.

The 460 magnum is tame by comparison, but it is a heavy gun with a large compensator.

I recently bought a Charter Arms Pitbull in 45 ACP and that is enough for me. I shot ten rounds of +P and said it is accurate enough and quit! I have the same gun in 40 S&W and I like it better.

The CA Bulldog Pug I had was about the same recoil as the 329 with 44 special, but it was blued and a snub nose and not as nice as the S&W and couldn't shoot .44 mag/etc.

I've had two snub nose revolvers - the CA and a Ruger SP101 and I didn't care for either one. I prefer 4 to 5 inch barrels on my revolvers.

I wish S&W would make a scandium PD with 4" barrel in .45 LC with the ability to take .45 ACP with a moon or star clip.

I am going to have my 460V cut for .45 ACP clips, but it is too heavy to be a regular field gun. I would only carry it somewhere I was sure to encounter dangerous game that required its power - like Alaska, and then probably only on the northern coast, or Africa (not sure what if any parts of Africa would allow non-citizens in with a handgun).

Have any of you owned a Smith & Wesson 640? I'm thinking of getting one.

IMG_0275.jpg

I recently bought a Charter Arms Pitbull in 45 ACP and that is enough for me. I shot ten rounds of +P and said it is accurate enough and quit! I have the same gun in 40 S&W and I like it better.

I know the feeling, I once sold a 3 inch barrel 44 magnum after shooting it twice. I have been interested on the CA in 44 special though. If the ammunition wasn't so expensive....

The CA Bulldog Pug I had was about the same recoil as the 329 with 44 special, but it was blued and a snub nose and not as nice as the S&W and couldn't shoot .44 mag/etc.

I've had two snub nose revolvers - the CA and a Ruger SP101 and I didn't care for either one. I prefer 4 to 5 inch barrels on my revolvers.

I wish S&W would make a scandium PD with 4" barrel in .45 LC with the ability to take .45 ACP with a moon or star clip.

I am going to have my 460V cut for .45 ACP clips, but it is too heavy to be a regular field gun. I would only carry it somewhere I was sure to encounter dangerous game that required its power - like Alaska, and then probably only on the northern coast, or Africa (not sure what if any parts of Africa would allow non-citizens in with a handgun).
I really like the scandium frame on Smith's 357 magnum and your idea of a scandium 45LC has merit I believe.

Once upon a time I had one of every model of Model 29 made between 1956 and 1995, but that was long ago.

Now this is what I shoot here in yUK...........357 Mag Super Redhawk - 12" bbl and Burris 2 -7x24 scope

upload_2016-11-5_20-13-39.png

At an guest day last month, a guy walked up to me while I was reloading it, showed me his FAC [allowing him to buy such a piece] and offered me $3200 in my hand for it. :eek:

How ridiculous is that? :rolleyes:

tac

Once upon a time I had one of every model of Model 29 made between 1956 and 1995, but that was long ago.

Now this is what I shoot here in yUK...........357 Mag Super Redhawk - 12" bbl and Burris 2 -7x24 scope

View attachment 321282

At an guest day last month, a guy walked up to me while I was reloading it, showed me his FAC [allowing him to buy such a piece] and offered me $3200 in my hand for it. :eek:

How ridiculous is that? :rolleyes:

tac
That is a serious revolver. Take down a low flying plane with that. Or at least 007 could.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top