JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have an RRA A2 Carbine upper and just added an A2 stock to the rifle. Interested in adding a retro carbine handguard set like these (or similar):
REPRODUCTION M16 CARBINE COMMANDO HANDGUARD SETS

Any experience or information on adding these is appreciated. Will it fit without modification? It appears I will need one of these:
AR15/M16 .625" triangle hand guard cap

Not sure how hard it is to install?

Also considering having barrel cut and then a proper flash hider pin and welded.

Any suggestions or information is MUCH appreciated.

I will post some pictures of what I currently have.

Thank you
MilitantBEEMER

IMG_1918.JPG IMG_1919.JPG IMG_1920.JPG

Last Edited:
I just swapped out my .750" triangular handguard cap, and driving out the taper pins is the bane of my existence.

I was gifted a mid length upper, and wanted to put on the MOE SL handguards. They needed a round cap. In the end it looks good, but they are a nightmare to remove even with the right tools. Soak the pins in penetrating oil at least.

IMG_4495.JPG

Last Edited:
PEM sent. Place the barreled assembly in a deep freeze. Chill to whatever. Marvals Mister y Penetrating Oil first. Wrap in a plastic bag as not to pollute the frozen food.

Heavy anvil. A helper. You need three or four hands. A good dimpled proper steel pin punch needed. Also a three pound hammer. Small end of taper pin. Big end of taper pin. Smack the small end ... HARD. BAM!!

The chilled stuff will also let the OEM site base slide hammer off easy. Sometimes easy to remove. Loose sometimes. Sometimes not. Hope this helps. Be sure to support the barrel and OEM site base exactly.

NODAK SPUD has retro stuff for the AR15. Lots of cool stuff not on the site. Call and ask. Good folks.

Hundreds of Builds.

If one likes 12" groups at 100 yards with M193 ammo, then go ahead. Several things can go wrong with a wacked short barrel. Getting the crown exactly correct is difficult. One would have to default to the 1x7 twist to optimize accuracy.

Once the long permanently attached flash hider is drilled, blind pinned and welded over it is very difficult to address future muzzle crown issues. Also understand attaching the long flash hider can slightly distort the bore and rifling. Welding heat.

But ... once in awhile a short barrel shoots extremely well. We built a 11.5" CAR that shot well inside 1" at 100 yards with a simply clamped on 3x9x40 borrowed scope. M193 FMJ. But ... usually all you get is a noisy piece that shoots lousy.

Finally; one runs into the legalities while building of having a short barrel with a non registered SBR lower AR15 receiver. Best to either buy the barrel already manufactured OR ... do not command, possess or intent a 11.5" barrel build with an AR15.

Corrective Action: ... Buy a 16" threaded barrel and then just screw on a fake looking 5.5 inch long CAR flash hider. The kind that greatly overlaps the barrel. Overall length about 17". The gun might shoot a whole lot better. That plus added velocity.

All fun and easy to do. What one would end up with is a replica SA CAR15 that looks 90% correct. A slab side lower and an early upper with a flat style slip ring would help also. Also get an aluminum siding butt stock and early pistol grip. A doable project.

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply. Hundreds of builds. Respectfully.

www.nodakspud.com An excellent source of hard to find AR15 retro parts including straps and mags.

If one likes 12" groups at 100 yards with M193 ammo, then go ahead. Several things can go wrong with a wacked short barrel. Getting the crown exactly correct is difficult. One would have to default to the 1x7 twist to optimize accuracy.

Once the long permanently attached flash hider is drilled, blind pinned and welded over it is very difficult to address future muzzle crown issues. Also understand attaching the long flash hider can slightly distort the bore and rifling. Welding heat.

But ... once in awhile a short barrel shoots extremely well. We built a 11.5" CAR that shot well inside 1" at 100 yards with a simply clamped on 3x9x40 borrowed scope. M193 FMJ. But ... usually all you get is a noisy piece that shoots lousy.

Finally; one runs into the legalities while building of having a short barrel with a non registered SBR lower AR15 receiver. Best to either buy the barrel already manufactured OR ... do not command, possess or intent a 11.5" barrel build with an AR15.

Corrective Action: ... Buy a 16" threaded barrel and then just screw on a fake looking 5.5 inch long CAR flash hider. The kind that greatly overlaps the barrel. Overall length about 17". The gun might shoot a whole lot better. That plus added velocity.

All fun and easy to do. What one would end up with is a replica SA CAR15 that looks 90% correct. A slab side lower and an early upper with a flat style slip ring would help also. Also get an aluminum siding butt stock and early pistol grip. A doable project.

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply. Hundreds of builds. Respectfully.

www.nodakspud.com An excellent source of hard to find AR15 retro parts including straps and mags.
Good information. I like the 16" barrel with slip over idea. Maintaining some accuracy would be nice.

Very nice carbine ... If I ever get another AR15 it would be like yours in the OP , a carbine with a standard A2 stock.
No laser , lights or any add ons ... just a good basic carbine.
Andy

A basic AR is way under rated and one of my favorites. Light weight, handy, durable and no crapola to get in your way or fail. If you can't shoot accurately with these sights you need more practice. This one is always in the Jeep when we go play in the woods, for just in case. I have an A2 stock but need a rifle length buffer tube, they do look nice, have storage, and balance well. Keep it simple.

IMG_20170417_073402.jpg

Having a short barrel doesn't mean it has to be innacurate. I have several sub 16" barrels that will shoot sub moa. In fact in many cases a shorter barrel is more rigid, promoting good accuracy. As far as shortening a barrel screwing up the accuracy, I think the chances are very low if you hire a competent smith. It is a very simple procedure.

This is the way I like um! I found one of these stocks at a local gun show, but haven't done the swap just yet. Mine also has a 14.5" barrel with 1/7 twist Wylde chamber. it shoots every bit as good as the longer barreled rifles!
unsung_wip_car15_4.jpg

My heart says yes.. but my wallet says no.. stupid wallet

It's honestly ridiculous how much these things sell for, almost entirely due to states who still have AWB's. I didn't list it here because I wouldn't want any of you guys paying that much for a lower :s0114:

NoDak Spud is your friend!:)
I have had nothing but the best with dealings with them.
I ordered one of their AR-180 kits that takes AR-15 Mags and a modern barrel assembly. In my mind, the -180 was the better rifler design and should have been developed and issued to U.S. personal. but I digress.....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top