Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Restocking a Winchester model 70 in .223

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by zeezee, Feb 6, 2011.

1. zeezee

zeezee nowheresville Member

Hey, has anyone restocked a model 70 Winchester? I'd like to be able to put a bipod on it without ruining the wood. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've heard tell of McMillan stocks, are they worth the money?
    ZZ

2. tomcat

tomcat oregon coast, coos bay Active Member

3. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

If you want a truly hand-layered synthetic stock (not the run of the mill injection molded offerings) that will hold its shape and integrity, we are fortunate to have MPI stocks right here in Portland. Among the best respected synthetics in custom gunmaker circles. Go to their website and give Doc a call.

4. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've heard good things about both MPI and McMillan. If I was looking for a stock like that, I'd probably go MPI because they are local and you can have a face to face conversation with the makers of your stock.

A lot of the stock you choose depends on the kind of hunting/shooting you do with your rifle. I'm partial to Hogue because I use my rifles in wet and/or cold conditions and I love the "grippy-ness" of the rubber overmold. They are also not as hollow sounding as many other synthetic stocks. I have both pillar bedded and full length bedding block styles. If I was going to hang a bi-pod on one, I'd use the full length style because the bi-pod will mount at the front end of the block where the stock is extremely rigid.