JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Summary: Earl Blumenauer supports ban on magazines etc.

Earl Blumenauer
Member of Congress

April 17, 2013

Dear Mr. "Me"
Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts on gun ownership and gun safety
legislation.
Like all Americans, I was deeply saddened by the horrific shootings in Connecticut
and at the Clackamas Shopping Center. I was also reminded that such events are
unfortunately all too common in our country.
I support the right of sportsmen to purchase guns to hunt and target shoot. I also
support the right of law-abiding citizens to own certain firearms in accordance with
the Second Amendment. However, I believe that current gun laws in the United States
are contributing to a problem of gun violence that is out of control. In many
states, it's impossible to even close the gun show loophole where individuals can
purchase unlimited amount of guns without a reasonable background check.
Hundreds of people die from gun accidents and thousands of people are killed by gun
violence every year. Assault weapons are available over the counter and can come
with enormous magazines that serve no purpose in sports or target shooting. Too
often our system of providing care to those with mental health disorders, who may
become violent, often falls short.
In the aftermath of recent shootings, it has been encouraging to learn that many
people actually do think that reasonable common-sense steps can be taken to reduce
gun violence. It is time to have a thoughtful and rational conversation about gun
safety, and I am pleased that the President has engaged in this conversation. I look
forward to working closely with other members of Congress on achieving this goal in
the 113th Congress.
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with me. I hope you will continue to be a
part of this important discussion. Please continue to be in touch.
Sincerely,

Earl Blumenauer
Member of Congress

"I also support the right of law-abiding citizens to own certain firearms"
Somehow Earl missed the fact that he works for us....not the other way around.
You don't get to decide Earl...sorry :)

You want to get even? Write him a letter back telling him you will support the opposition in the next election as a campaign assistant, and contribute, and then do it

You want to get even? Write him a letter back telling him you will support the opposition in the next election as a campaign assistant, and contribute, and then do it
In OR, you actually get a tax credit too. Granted, you'd need to find someone with a D after their name. Earl's had some pretty easy reelection campaigns.

this was my reply:
Sometimes people do evil things because they have the freedom to do so. Please ban high capacity pressure cookers as well. Please pardon my flippancy.
"Assault weapons" with high capacity magazines are rarely used in crime. More people are killed with blunt objects than "assault weapons" so it seems that public fears of "huge magazines" may be disproportionate to the level of risk. These so-called huge magazines are a standard feature of almost all guns of modern design.
The "gunshow loophole" is another name for private party person-to-person sales; the major problem with such sales is the trafficking of guns to Mexican drug cartels (which the US Govt has done quite a bit of too). The easy way to stem the tide of drug violence is to reduce cartels' profits through decriminalizing certain (perhaps many) narcotics and developing better ways to regulate them.

Best regards,

Somehow Earl missed the fact that he works for us....not the other way around.
You don't get to decide Earl...sorry

No he doesn't work for us, he works for just the pretty people

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews