JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting article. The author mentions Nixon's support for gun control, but doesn't specify that he wanted a complete ban on handguns. From a taped conversation on May 16, 1972:

"I don't know why any individual should have a right to have a revolver in his house. The kids usually kill themselves with it and so forth. [why] can't we go after handguns, period? I know the rifle association will be against it, the gun makers will be against it. [but] people should not have handguns."​

While it sounds good this kind of article is what keeps getting us (gun owners) in trouble. Yes it is true that many GOP have been compromisers. Which always means we lose. Yes many Libertarians are all in for all rights, as mentioned. The rub is normally when one runs all they do is get the liberal elected. Then they pretend like it was a good result. Well it is if you want more gun control. As I keep saying politicians of all stripes only fear one thing, losing power. Now if some super pro gun candidate is running and has a real shot at winning? Great, they have my vote. When the best they can do is take enough votes from the most conservative person to let the most liberal person win, well I call that a loss for us. I often end up voting for a Dem here as often it's the only choice. I pick the most conservative one to vote for.

I've said it many times on this site - I don't truly believe most Republican politicians are "pro-gun" so much as they are "anti, anti-gun". In other words, they live to fight anti-gun politicians on the left, but whenever they get a majority, they seem to go completely silent on gun rights. Guns only serve them when there's a fight. When they could virtually walk through a pro-gun bill like reciprocity or the HPA, they leave us in the cold - and it happens again and again. And that's one of the big reasons why I'm no longer a member of the Republican party.

That said, I typically vote Republican if it is for someone that helps preserve my rights from further erosion. But it will take considerable proof before I ever buy that Republican politicians, on the whole, are truly pro-gun. They want votes, that's all they really love. Honestly, I have a strong feeling that the pro-gun/anti-gun fights are pre-arranged by these dipshi!ts in back-room discussions so they can each fire up their bases for more money, votes and power.

We're all the pawns here, like it or not.

...they live to fight anti-gun politicians on the left, but whenever they get a majority, they seem to go completely silent...
^^^ THIS ^^^
Rs pander to us just like the Ds pander to minorities. They've been courting that voting block (and mostly won them over) without ever providing a single thing or improving their lives... that's the point: a REAL and permanent "solution" would remove their main political platform and, not coincidentally, any reason to vote for them.

The name for it is "fear mongering" and Rs do it too but, at least in my opinion, the threats from the Ds are real. No, Republicans will not institute slavery or Jim Crow laws. But Dems will ban and confiscate the tools of freedom if allowed to.

I dintclick because, although I may or may not find it interesting, it's not informative.
I assume that, along with Nixon, Ronald Regan's interest in gun control was also used. If not, then it was an opportunity missed.

Anti-rights activists think that using our canonized "heros" against us will change our collective minds.

Why? Because... as unwise as we are to assign logic and/or reason to the "resistance" movement, they are as equally unwise to assign their own "hive-mind think" to those of us who disagree with them.

"They" tend to think that if RWRegan said it (or even weirder, RMNixon said it), that we should stand up and take notice... THAT, friends, is the true difference between "conservatism" as a philosophy and "progressivism" as an ideology.

One transcends "leaders" and politics. The other counts on pop culture, current trends, and identity.

Pick one... vote accordingly.

Last Edited:
Gary Johnson got Hillary elected?

Gary Johnson was a libertarian in name only in my opinion. And he was pretty slimy on the campaign trail. At least the libertarian party could stop settling on weak bubblegum candidates like him and gain a backbone.

Most Republicans could use a backbone too.

Sorry didn't answer your question just had to complain a bit about him. Trump did win by a slim margin. Gary Johnson contributed to that slim margin, albeit only mildly because a lot of libertarians voted for Trump. And there are plenty of leftist libertarians I'm sure would have voted for Hillary. I think Hillary would have gotten less of the tiny amount of libertarian votes.

I'm probably going to join the red wave unless the libertarian party starts putting forward real libertarians. And I'm still debating ignoring the libertarians just to keep the Democrats from being in power because being under Democrat rule sucks.

Some do ,some don't.
You can never say a ''certain type'' or ''entire group'' of people do, like or dislike any one thing.

Who dose like guns?

Us here!
And what are we made up of?

People with a common interest in guns. :s0132: :D

Last Edited:
There are actually dozens of political office holding Democrats invested in Ammo and gun manufacturing and appears more then Republicans do, let that sink in a bit and then ask yourself why ? It then makes total sense.

Last Edited:
He's the reason libertarians voted for Trump... The Libertarian party had better candidates and yet he was the one nominated.

Trump turned EVERYTHING election on it's ear. He still is, just look at what goes on with him daily. Many are still in shock she lost. Many gun owners are still mad she lost, look how many of them you see here who wish she had won. I guess they don't have enough to complain about so they wish she had won so they would have more gun laws to complain about. <shrug>
Now as for the 3d parties, as I said the normal thing they do is elect the liberal. Now and then a liberal will run some kind of 3d party but its not the norm. Notice how really angry left gets when one does, they know that all the 3d party is good for it defeating the candidate of the party they lean towards. There are some exceptions but they are rare. Run a 3d party who really leans conservative and they will pull votes away from the most conservative person running who may have a chance of winning. This is how gun owners keep shooting themselves in the foot every two years. There is always a "better choice". Often the better choice is far from perfect so gun owners get all righteous and refuse to vote. Then you get the Governor of OR for example, so the same gun owners who voted her in scream it's all someone else's fault. Amazing to watch it happen over and over again. I only hope more will wake up in a few weeks, we shall see soon enough.

Sorry to pick nits, but that statement isn't factual.
DJT lost the popular vote by 3 million or so.
The electoral college wasn't even close... he won 30 states.

I believe the Russians provided Hillary with the 3,000,000 spare votes for the popular win, but didn't quite understand the EC concept ;)

My NiTs!

Np, I mean the popular vote, probably should have clarified.

I think that in general the left is more pragmatic when it comes to voting, whereas the right tends to be more idealistic. Many on the left will gladly vote for anyone left so long at it advances their cause in the smallest way. Many on the right will look at an imperfect candidate and proudly stick their nose in the air and refuse to vote, even if it means their worst enemy gets elected.

On another note, in regards to the Nixon quote; isn't it interesting how gun control has changed over the years? In the past, going back a hundred years even, there was a real push to ban handguns. It was their major focus.

The culture has changed. You never see any serious talk about banning handguns anymore. They lost that battle, hands down, so they changed tactics a couple decades ago to going after "scary looking guns" instead.

The culture has changed. You never see any serious talk about banning handguns anymore. They lost that battle, hands down, so they changed tactics a couple decades ago to going after "scary looking guns" instead.

You think that's because ground was won with banning drop in autosears? Now they figure they can come in and ban what's left of the rifle they gained ground on?

I'm a bit young to remember it, when I hear strories of 75$ drop in auto sears and AR15s sitting next to M16s for only slightly more and a 250$ tax stamp it sounds amazing. I wish I could have been alive to see that.

And today's youth probably thinks that particular norm of liberty is crazy talk.

If liberty is crazy I would want to live in the insane asylum.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top