JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got my renewal form from Lane county sheriffs office and I noticed that there have been a couple of changes. First , you must now present a passport or birth certificate to
prove citizenship , even on a renewal . Also there is a question asked about whether or not you want your permit status to be released publicly . Interesting

Multnomah sent me a letter several years ago asking if I wanted my info kept private and the reasons for that. Concern for my and my family's safety was one of the reasons I could check.
When I did my renewal they asked the same question.

I took a CHL class recently and, as I understand it, there is some litigation that the sheriffs are dealing with regarding public (newshounds) access to information on permit holders. If you request the information not be released your are helping the sheriffs' case.

The same sort of thing happened here in WashCo - a letter from the sheriff arrived asking a single question: "Do you want your CHL status to be kept private?"

It's all about this lawsuit ~
Oregon Judicial Department Appellate Court Opinions
Apparently if you say that you want your information withheld for personal-security reasons, the sheriff doesn't have to reveal it.
Critical Court Rulings Decide 2nd Amendment Rights | The Oregon Catalyst

Our sheriff clearly feels that it's nobody's business who's carrying legally.

Following up on the CHL class I checked the Marion County Sheriff site for an application. The Sheriff's department is promoting this option to have the information kept private BIG TIME.

This is a case of the media trying to get information that doesn't have strong enough legislative protection. Too bad the legislature couldn't pass a bill excluding this information from the public last session. I think any news outlet trying to acquire this should also post the reporter's and their editor's/publisher's/producer's home addresses and floor plans.

In response to release of this information in other places I belive the permit holders have, in fact, released personal information on the reporters or news agency. I'd have to go back and check some similar threads on THR and TFL for the details, verification and results.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top