JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just bought an SKS (my first) from a member here. A neat little para model, but the thing looks like hell.

Someone had decided to paint (I'm assuming spray paint) the ENTIRE rifle. When I took it all apart I could see that they took it apart and painted everything. It's now some OD green color. Though the guy I bought it from scrapped off the paint from the stock, it still needs a lot of attention as well.

So my question is how can I remove all the paint from the rifle safely? I obviously don't want to ruin anything, and while I will probably get a new stock, that's more for the future. I'd like to clean this up and get it looking great, and cleanup the stock well enough to re-stain it.

Thoughts?

MEK (methyl Ethel ketone) will strip most paints very quickly off metallic surfaces. Chemical gasket remover works on wood to strip varnish and paint. These chemicals are pretty aggressive and you should review the instructions and be mindful of the safety requirements. These strippers will also remove ALL oil and cause rust is left uncoated for long periods of time in damn locations.

Awesome, thanks everyone! I'm going to start working on it today. I'll take some pictures and post some results (when I get results). If I basically bathe all the parts in some solvents, am I going to hurt anything? I don't want to walk away while it soaks only to come back to corroded metal :p

Unless your "solvent" is an acid or something like Lye, no worries. Acetone, toluene, toluol, MEK, etc are all pretty neutral as far as metal parts. For all the small pieces it would be great if you had access to an ultrasonic cleaner. For long parts that are hard to immerse like a barrel, wrap in a piece of cloth and keep wet with whatever solvent you choose. It will hold the solvent against the paint and goo longer than just pouring or painting. Once softened then you can scrub the residue off, usually with a stiff bristled paint brush that you've cut the bristles to about half their length. The cheaper brushes are great for this as long as they don't have synthetic bristles. Also, brass brush that looks like something the character called "Jaws" in the James Bond movies might use as a toothbrush works great. I found a couple at Harbor Freight once.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top