Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Removing broken 45acp shell

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by Redneck Rampage, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Redneck Rampage

Redneck Rampage Rainier, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have a AR45. I had a shell have the head come off. Most of the shell is still in the chamber. What is the best safest way to remove the casing.
    I can not find any broke shell extractor in 45acp.
    Any help world be great.

2. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

have you tried a bore brush? Our gunsmith has used a tap but you must be very careful as if it hits the barrel you are done. Flat screwdriver.

3. Redneck Rampage

it is jam in there good. But tap sound like a good bet. I will be working on it after the 4th so I have a little time to get info befor I try. thanks for the idea.

4. kenno

kenno eastern WA Active Member

Congrats!
    You've done something extremly special.
    I would sugest a 11.7 mm or 1/2 inch tap to screw into the casing and remove it.
    Before anyone jumps my elderly bones I was a depot certified small arms repairman as well as a small arms repair inst. at TOCAS Aberdeen Md.

5. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

Question. What happened? Was it over charged? I had a case stick in an AR barrel and I was told by two barrel mfg not to use it. Others may say otherwise.

6. Redneck Rampage

I have not found out yet. I was running powder charge at the low end. I took all the other rounds from that batch apart an did not find anything wrong. I just hope to fix the gun an run more rounds down range.

7. Redneck Rampage

Gun is fixed had it repaired bye oly arms.

8. Oohrah

Oohrah NorthwestSouthern Oregon Coast Member

Did they give you any advise on a repeat occurance? Brass failure is not uncommon, even in military specs it happens or else broken case extractor wouldn't have a need!