JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello, I've had this shotgun for quite some time now and I was curious on if anyone would know how rare these are if at all? I know they're not made anymore, finding them on gunbroker for decent amounts but I've never seen them for sale anywhere else. Is this a particularly rare gun or are these still fairly common to find used?

14B1D040-E8BA-4A0C-BDC9-32CCE625FE7F.jpeg D89D9447-31AD-4048-8D97-D6855DB5A04B.jpeg 7086D4F9-6B65-4E99-A1F7-8B6FFDF1F78F.jpeg

Not really all that rare, no. Especially the poly furniture ones. I don't know how all "common" it is to see them for sale or not. I mean... a guy would have to be pretty hard up for cash... or just plain stoopid... to let his mariner go... is all's I'm sayin. 🤣

I think used 870's for sale have always been a little bit on the scarce side. They certainly retain their value quite well, but I haven't looked recently to see what they go for these days.

The last one I bought was also a marine mag exactly like that and picked it up 6hrs before 941 was to go into affect. I seem to recall I paid something around $375-$425ish(?) I honestly don't remember exacty but it wasn't a whole lot and was in near new "pristine" condition... and with a fastfire III sight on it.

If you've got hands on one I certainly wouldn't even consider selling it.. or if the price is at all reasonable.. buy it while you can! Without hands on it's impossible to say, but just from the photos it sure looks next near to new conditions as well.

Last Edited:
I shoulda thought about that more before I said all that... if it's yours and you're looking to sell it... hu. :s0140:

What I meant to say was... if that's yours... it's incredibly common and looks a bit beat up. No one will want it with that junky poly furniture crap on it and will cost quite a bit to restore it back to original wood furniture.

If you're selling I "might" be willing to take it off your hands if the price was low enough. With Christmas and all, I bet no one is going to have spare cash laying around and be willing to give you much at all for it.

(Good recovery??;))

Not really all that rare, no. Especially the poly furniture ones. I don't know how all "common" it is to see them for sale or not. I mean... a guy would have to be pretty hard up for If you've got hands on one I certainly wouldn't even consider selling it.. or if the price is at all
I shoulda thought about that more before I said all that... if it's yours and you're looking to sell it... hu. :s0140:

What I meant to say was... if that's yours... it's incredibly common and looks a bit beat up. No one will want it with that junky poly furniture crap on it and will cost quite a bit to restore it back to original wood furniture.

If you're selling I "might" be willing to take it off your hands if the price was low enough. With Christmas and all, I bet no one is going to have spare cash laying around and be willing to give you much at all for it.

(Good recovery??;))
Ha, yea it's mine and part of the group of guns I'd never sell unless I absolutely had to. I probably paid too much for it anyways considering what you're telling me so it would be hard for me to even make my money back if I did sell it. Thank you for the info! It's a cool shotgun and definitely my go to "Apocalypse" gun if that were to ever happen..

Yes, but it's been a while. For some reason these weren't as popular as I thought they would be. 870's are great and having one in stainless would be cool.
It's actually full nickel plated inside and out vs. SS. Not to be confused with the police model that was gunmetal cerakoted. The marine model was for just that... mainly for the water arms of the miliatary forces. The nickel plating preventing rust in highly corrosive environments.

They "used" to be standard fare in a gun shop... of the blond wood furniture variety. Extremely attractive... but later replaced with poly-carbon when the commercial shooting world decided to geek out and go tacti-cool. Long about that time that the express line of 870's came into being. That's likely what kind of killed off the mariner. The nickel plating treatment wasn't exactly budget friendly in comparison to the express line and more serious shooters paying the bigger bucks were not as interested in the then considered more "bling" 870 in the short 18.5" barrel.

I have a 28" wingmaster barrel to swap around as needed, but granted, a blued barrel on a nickel receiver does look a little odd. Sure shoots like a charm when you want the length, though.

Last Edited:
My guilt got the better of me... and probably shouldn't harsh on the "tacti-cool" too hard.

One mariner I did put a mesa tactical on it for a pistol grip and telescoping buttstock.. and a GG&G side saddle... and a burris fastfire III. It's kinda bada** for an SD shotty. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top