JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My Wife's Remington 700 ADL has a silver matte stainless like finish, which for some reason i thought was painted on in some way.

Anyway, it got attacked by the damp a few years ago being stored in a gun case under the bed in a damp apartment before i knew enough about them not protecting against damp etc.

My question i guess is can these light rust spots be easily repaired? can i just use Flitz or similar? I was worried that as i thought this was some kind of painted finish, that i'd make things worse and remove the good stuff too.

If it is actually stainless then bring it in and we can bead blast it, removing the rust and giving everything the same look. Other then blasting or a complete refinish, I would use a 0000 steel wool and lightly go over the rust spots. That should remove the rust without polishing as long as you are not heavy handed. If you use Flitz you will probably remove the rust but you will have a matte gun with polished spots all over.

I'll have to drag this out soon, i've cleared my gun desk, but i don't have the time *just* yet to pull out the 700 to recheck the damage.

It's apparently 'matt' shot-blasted stainless finish so as Jon said, i'll probably end up with a shiny part if i Flitz the area too much.

Annoyingly i'm pretty certain the horribly intricate bolt handle end has rust in it as well, that will be very hard to fix.

I'll have to drag this out soon, i've cleared my gun desk, but i don't have the time *just* yet to pull out the 700 to recheck the damage.

It's apparently 'matt' shot-blasted stainless finish so as Jon said, i'll probably end up with a shiny part if i Flitz the area too much.

Annoyingly i'm pretty certain the horribly intricate bolt handle end has rust in it as well, that will be very hard to fix.
Go ahead and shoot me a message and we can set up a time to bring it in. The bolt isn't that hard to take apart and we'll bead blast everything so it matches.

Thanks, Jon.

Not ready for anything like that just yet, the bolt is obviously one piece, i think the trigger guard is another, the barrel has some touch points as well.
Like i said, i need to get this out and give it the once-over so i know exactly where it's at.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top