JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This old timer dates to 1954 and I'd like to clean it up cosmetically, but I'm clueless. I don't think it's actually stainless but possibly a finish of some sort. It's actually pretty clean for its age and none of the scratches go through to bare metal, so I can live with it if that's the case. I don't mind if it shows it's age a little.
I'm afraid to use oil and steel wool for fear of lousing it up. So any help would be appreciated.
I am going to fit some new grips either way because it deserves new shoes.
Thank you.
20211218_143840.jpg 20211218_143823.jpg

Last Edited:
It's not aftermarket, it's a factory finish but it definitely looks like Robar. Years ago I had a Browning with the same finish.

As far as I can tell the finish is called "Matte Chrome". They also had a "Brilliant Chrome". I'm still trying to find out what the finish actually is. It's stood up pretty well on this old gun.
I had an Argentine Hi Power that had a Robar finish, but it didn't show marks like this does even though they're light.

I found this on the FN Collectors forum:

Below are all the finishes that was available on the High Power Pistol from FN, according to the FN Factory Chart that's shown on Page 223 in R. Blake Stevens' book, The Browning High Power Automatic Pistol.

The number indicates specified finish.

0 Gold

1 Phosphate

2 "Old Silver"

3 Standard Blue

4 Sandblast/Blue

5 Matt Chrome

6 Nickel

7 Brilliant Chrome

8 Black Anodized (alloy frames)
Last Edit: Oct 14, 2020 at 2:04pm by
If your path demands you to

Last Edited:
I don't think I'd do anything but oil it for fear of screwing up the original matte finish.
That piece would look good with dark grip panels.

I might entertain a thin panel type of G10, ebony or micarta

Last Edited:
This old timer dates to 1954 and I'd like to clean it up cosmetically, but I'm clueless. I don't think it's actually stainless but possibly a finish of some sort. It's actually pretty clean for its age and none of the scratches go through to bare metal, so I can live with it if that's the case. I don't mind if it shows it's age a little.
I'm afraid to use oil and steel wool for fear of lousing it up. So any help would be appreciated.
I am going to fit some new grips either way because it deserves new shoes.
Thank you.
View attachment 1121058View attachment 1121059
Magic eraser and rem. oil.

I'll try the eraser somewhere under the grips and see what happens. It can also just get a good oil wipe down and new grips and call it good because it's already pretty clean. It's a shooter and it will be just fine either way, I just get picky about stuff.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top