JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all

One of my winter projects this year is putting up some partition walls and building a gun room in my garage. I'll be putting in a built-in reloading bench to hold both a Dillon 650 and a Lee single-stage press. I know the Dillon is 38 1/2" tall with the case feeder, and I should probably leave some room above that for dumping cases in. Keeping in mind that the ceiling is only about 7 1/2' tall, what height should I make the reloading bench?

Greg

belly button high, or as close to it as you can hit and still have room up top!!! I have built, and remodled my bench, and that seems to be the best height... so saying xyz inches could throw you off, if you go with the belly button rule, (a) it seems to be comfortable to me for a tall chair( i use a barstool), or standing (b) it gives more room underneath than standard counters.
just my .02 cents worth
Doug

I have mine at 36" standard cabinet height but mine are on strong mounts. You can shorten the case feed tubes for a lower ceiling. I can stand comfortably or sit in an adjustable stool I have.

9c4e1888.jpg

I have mine at 36" standard cabinet height but mine are on strong mounts. You can shorten the case feed tubes for a lower ceiling. I can stand comfortably or sit in an adjustable stool I have.

9c4e1888.jpg

Thanks for the photo. The 650 I'm using is on a strong mount, so I think having the reloading bench at 36" to match the adjacent workbench would be best.

Hoping to get everything put together by the end of the weekend!

My bench is at 36" and I have the Dillon 550 on strong mounts, I can sit on a stool or stand.

The other part of 36" I like is the press is near one end then I have several feet of work area, for cleaning guns, and dis/assembly.

Ok, next question. How many outlets do I need? The workbench will be 8' long with the press at one end. I was thinking three outlets along the top of the bench. What do you think, too many? Too few? Can never have enough?

I framed the walls in yesterday, I'll be running electrical and hanging plywood for the wall surfaces today. I told the wife I'd probably have all the gun stuff moved out there by Sunday night ;-)

My wall along my bench is about 8' and I have 3 duplex outlets. Depends on what you have and how far you want cords to reach. If I were to do it again, I would probably put 4 or 5 outlets. You possibly have case feeder, scale, lights, radio...who knows....better to put to many than to few, it cheap to do it now.

My wall along my bench is about 8' and I have 3 duplex outlets. Depends on what you have and how far you want cords to reach. If I were to do it again, I would probably put 4 or 5 outlets. You possibly have case feeder, scale, lights, radio...who knows....better to put to many than to few, it cheap to do it now.

Thanks. I went with four duplex outlets behind the bench. Sheathing is up, wiring is done, going to build the bench, put in shelves and move in tomorrow. Good times!

How do you like the light? I looked at the same one or close to it at HD. I ended up getting the T5 model with smaller bulbs. I to am doing a few things in my garage unfortunately I can not make a room so just setting up a bench on one wall. Ran a new leg off my box and have 4 outlets on a 15 amp breaker that was not being used.

Looks good so far:s0155: Are you going to paint the walls? Would help to brighten it up.

How do you like the light? I looked at the same one or close to it at HD. I ended up getting the T5 model with smaller bulbs. I to am doing a few things in my garage unfortunately I can not make a room so just setting up a bench on one wall. Ran a new leg off my box and have 4 outlets on a 15 amp breaker that was not being used.

Looks good so far:s0155: Are you going to paint the walls? Would help to brighten it up.

The lights are good, a little slow to start when it's cold (garage is unheated, but the room will be heated when it's done).

I might paint the walls, we'll see how things go. The pegboard is tan though. And I really hate painting, so there's that.

Modeler614,

Don't forget to run spacing strips behind the pegboard, so your hooks can rotate when you
put them in.:s0155:

Jack...:cool:

Oh, don't I know that! I had pegboard up on the walls before I built the room, I'll be rehanging the same stuff for now.

I also have a single-stage Lee press I'd like to mount and leave set up for .45-70; anyone have any recommendations on location? The bench is 88" overall, the clear space is 68" (left side of photo), I'd like to mount it so that it doesn't interfere with easy operation on the XL650 but I'd still like enough open space to be able to use the bench as a bench for cleaning guns and such.

I notice you have what looks like a free standing cabinet. That's handy for rifle cleaning as you can move around a long gun while it's in a stand, rather than try to work up against a wall.:s0155:

The most important decision in the ergonomics of reloading press height, when the handle is all the way down, you should be able to reach it without bending down, maintaining about 3" of slack in your arm. If you don't do this, it will be like doing a multitude of situps for the time you are reloading and you will tire easily, and will likely hurt afterwards. This is how I pulled my psoas muscle, which I do not recommend, as it's like having someone drop kick you in that sensitive place for several weeks. Even while taking fentonil and soma it still hurts like you wouldn't believe, you're mostly just drugged up so you don't care.

My bench must the right heigth then, but my fingers sure start to cramp after a 100, or
so 9mm. I do the primers by themselves because small pistol get to be a bugger to
hold on to.:s0131:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews