JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Same here but what will we do if the internet ever fails? Books will take up space but I like having written text to fall back on, Hell if needed, I could burn the books to cook some vittles...:eek::eek::eek::p:p I copy the pertinent info into my Relader book (black book) with the min & max tolerances then work up the load and log it with lots of !!! and underlines with stars pointing to the BEST LOAD....:D:D:D

Good point. Best to keep your most pertinent load data hard copied (hand-written or printed) just in case during an SHTF scenario you need to access that info but the Norks toasted our grid and the internets are down until Al Gore can fix them :rolleyes:

Like many, my reloading manuals date back a bunch of years to when I first started reloading, so more than 20'years ago...

Today, I reference the powder and bullet manufacturers sites, the only issue with that method other than the net being nuked, is you lose perspective of the historical data. So, I request hard copies of their load manuals, if available.

I like paper, and over the last couple
Of decades have compiled a volume of reload recipies from the inter webs and personal experimentation, which I've compiled into a 2" 3 ring binder, all in page protectors, organized by caliber.

I have bunches of books.
Then I updated bunches of books because of new calibers.
But then I came to realize, that all my pet loads for my particular guns run the gambit from top of the list to the bottom of the list for any reference book's load offerings. Its not like you pick one line item, and that load is perfect.
New to the game should glean as much info from as many recognized and published sources for both the equipment / mechanical application of loading , and material performance an they are able. Especially understanding powders and burn rates.
However,
Here is my take for the seasoned loader with plenty of reference books;
The material on hand will get you in the ball park. Likely no farther away than a new book will.
From there, you hone in on what your tool likes to play with.
A new book will not circumvent the bench tests.
Depending on your needs and view, three factors may alter the old book is good enough opine, but for different reasons and for me does not alter the above reasoning..
1. New (to the world) calibers not covered in old books.
2. Radical change in bullet design not covered in old books
Old or new powders not covered in old books
Even then, I found that online scrutiny of manufacturers web pages of the specific powders or bullets with skeptical side views of related forums, will get you enough info in conjunction with your "old books" and exceptional past experience, to start your test loads without added books.
Of coarse, you will be taking and archiving notes along the way. (won't you :rolleyes:?)
My take is generally, New books have only minutely altered and updated things of interest but considerable cost. Dollars better applied to the new cartridge your working with in terms of powders, dies, projectiles or brass.

Then again, some like massive libraries to dust.

(As an aside, One other thing I have noticed; it could be because of lawyers, or new powders made under old names are hotter, but some loads from a few companies seem to have been down sized over the years such that I have surpassed the recommended high end, and still not achieved the speed or case / primer degradation one would expect. this actually has extended my bench testing since I started way too low. Range time for testing is becoming an expensive and drive time consuming experience in these modern times)

Great info guys, that's what I was looking for.
I have always done a little book for each specific weapon, and then hard copies of general caliber load recipes that I have loaded and tested in the past. The books are great, for a lot of reasons mentioned, if for nothing else but cartridge specs and history. I was aware of the online data, but the few I had viewed were fee sights and I didn't want to "join" for one or two loads. Nice to see that more sights are available online for free, and that makes me want to hit the bench even more now. :D I'm thinking of shopping around for newer ( used) manuals for hard copy refrence. Now that I'm in Orygun for a little while, it's prolly a good idea to hit the used book stores and gun shows.!:)

We should have some sort of resource here for people to post the loads they've verified, especially with newer powders or bullets.
I agree with this. Maybe something simple that allows a member to input all component data and display it like a spreadsheet. This might help those members who post the common question "Does anybody have load data for XYZ round" with the typical answers being check a manual or with the Mfg. load data site (which should be a starting point for anyone)

One must be extremely careful vetting older data regardless of source credibility. As an example: loads generated by Jack O'Conner for my .270 are too high of pressure using the same named powder manufactured today so must be backed down some. Same goes for Warren Page's pet loads. Granted we are talking ancient history here but the moral would be to include dates of any powder lots, and load data to any group project of sharing.

This brings up another issue with older data, especially when that data pushes the upper edge. One must do their due diligence when approaching any of these older recipes especially as powders change! One of my books has a series of hand written notes on .300 wm that would be flat out dangerous if done today with out starting quite a bit lower and working up!

Every load should be worked up, regardless of how old it is. I treat data from 60 years ago the same as new data, start low and work up. The powder could be different, but they also could have been working with different thinner brass, or different primers, maybe their rifle has a longer throat, maybe they didn't mention they're seating .050 longer than normal, too many variables to just start any load at what someone says.

Online data is a relative term to me. Online from hodgdon, alliant, ramshot, i'll us that data. Online from a forum, may jot it down to reference reliable sources.
As for posting here? My typing finger pushes the wrong button quite often. 54.5grns vs 44.5grns. As stated earlier, seating depth. Rifles too long is real bad and too short is real bad for some pistols.
I have no problem helping new hand loaders along the way or sharing tips or sources, but I would feel real bad if someone got hurt using my data, even if it was their fault. You never know who is going to use the data. Just me guys.
When things go wrong in a chamber it can be catastrophic.

A hand? Priceless, An eye?, priceless, a gun, a grand. A life???
There is much more in these books than just "recipes", and the reasons are posted above.
Exactly correct. They're NOT just recipe books. There's a TON of information in them. I personally own about 6 or more reloading books and or printed information from the different powder sites. Then cross reference. What's hot in my gun might not be in yours, and vice versa.

Exactly correct. They're NOT just recipe books. There's a TON of information in them. I personally own about 6 or more reloading books and or printed information from the different powder sites. Then cross reference. What's hot in my gun might not be in yours, and vice versa.
I do this also...this lessens the chance that you will have an issue, but it's not perfectly safe no matter how careful you are being. Even in old age and experienced with published data you can get into trouble before you know it.

Example: I had no experience with Universal powder but scored 4 lbs during the great shortage. I tried some in .40 S&W and it worked great. I was running low on my usual powder for .38 so I noticed data for Universal in the Lee 2nd. Looked at the powder chart and thought it might be a bit slow but decided to pursue it further because similar powders are listed also. Cross refrenced with Hodgden and another book refrence (don't remember which). Result? Stuck the first starting 158 grain plated rn in the barrel. Cleared it (thinking perhaps I messed up and loaded a light charge). Tried 1 more and it barely made it out of the barrel. Okay stop. Went home and checked several charges and all were spot on. Reasoning...starting charge too low for this specific app. Okay back to the range and skipped up .5 grain for a starting charge (lots of room in the data range for this and reported pressures look reasonable. Result: first shot bounced off the range curtain and came right back across the sights and smacked me in the upper lip. Shatter proof safety glasses on, hearing protection, and sitting at a bench with a plywood sheet in front just in case...

Lesson learned: no testing with a range curtain lol, and nothing right behind the target that the bullet can bounce off of. Thought I was being very safe, woulda coulda shouldas? I don't know. It's an inherently dangerous hobby and stuff can go haywire in spite of even being what you think is even too careful.

I also learned that a 158gr bullet will just about knock your head off even at low velocity. It looked like someone busted me in the lip.

I'm just sayin'. You really can't be too careful. What works in yours or theirs may indeed not work in mine.

I just had a look at my reloading manuals and other resources and realised my books and other data is 10 years old or more. What books and other resources do you like and why? Any other resources you recommend!

********************************************************************************
I like to use loading manuals that are put out by bullet manufactures. They tend to list a wider variety of powders in their recipes than the powder manufacturers, so I feel like I am getting more for my money. A recipe that lists a bullet weight of one hundred grains can be used just as well for a bullet that weighs 105 grains, but the recipe for a single brand of powder will usually not vary the weight of powder for a particular bullet by very much. Some books put out by powder companies only list their powder. So what happens when their powder is not available? Guess?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top