JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking at getting a reloading type bench for my garage. I've checked on line and found that they do make reloading specific benches which are fine, but I was curious what you guys all use - have you found a bench say from IKEA or other than works just as well or perhaps better?

I guess it will depend on whether you want to stand or sit down when reloading. If you want to sit then find a sturdy desk. I have used one of three old "US GOVT" office desks over the years and the best was an old 60's era metal army office desk (OD green/gray) with a hard, rubberized surface which I still have. Heck if you were closer to me I would say come and get it

I am limited on space in the house, so I modified an old bakers rack.

I braced the holey living crap out of it & mounted it to the wall. It's small but it works well & I really have no complaints about it.

I like the height of it because I can work while standing or sitting on my stool.

I hope this helps.

2010_0402MAG-10Ithaca0008.jpg

costco has a nice 2" inch maple top bench for 200. It is 6 foot over all. I am putting it in my office for my gun work bench and using my loading bench for loading only.

I started out with one like BGW posted plans of and it worked great for years. Now I have a cabinet shop so I made some out of Diamond Plate pattern melamine. Whatever you build out of, I highly recommend using MDF for the top and it is dense and solid. I use 1 1/8" for my tops and clear coat them.

dsc03593e.jpg

I am limited on space in the house, so I modified an old bakers rack.

I braced the holey living crap out of it & mounted it to the wall. It's small but it works well & I really have no complaints about it.

I like the height of it because I can work while standing or sitting on my stool.

I hope this helps.

2010_0402MAG-10Ithaca0008.jpg

what you have there as far as size is exactly what I need. Thanks

costco has a nice 2" inch maple top bench for 200. It is 6 foot over all. I am putting it in my office for my gun work bench and using my loading bench for loading only.

I'll check it out - I might persuade myself not to build one after all since I bet that sucker will be crooked in the end :s0155:

I started out with one like BGW posted plans of and it worked great for years. Now I have a cabinet shop so I made some out of Diamond Plate pattern melamine. Whatever you build out of, I highly recommend using MDF for the top and it is dense and solid. I use 1 1/8" for my tops and clear coat them.

dsc03593e.jpg

WOW - if this reloading thing works out - I might upgrade to what you've got - very nice. however if I had something like that I would never leave the garage/shop.

thanks

I got a solid oak 5' x 20" w/4 drawers and bottom shelf at Oak Harbor. It was on sale and I had a 20% off coupon, total price was $111.98 reg price was $199.88 Extremely sturdy and looks nice also........

Man I sure feel under classed after seeing what everybody else has for their set up. I just went down to the local Goodwill and picked up a old heavy wooden desk for $10. Brought it home, did some reinforcing and modifications, put it in the garage and it has worked out well so far. It has a few different drawers which are handy for storing brass and tools. In fact I think the chair I use to sit at my bench came from Goodwill too.:s0114:

I made one out of 2x4 and 4x4 many years ago, while a broke a** college student. The top is 2x4s glued together and hand planed to make a nice smooth and sturdy surface. It now has a Forster single stage press opposite the Dillon. I move it to where I need it, usually in front of the couch so I can watch TV, but sometimes out in the garage etc..

RL_Bench.jpg

These type stores have many of those computer desks we all had before laptops.
Thick tops, sturdy drawers, perfect for sit-down loading.

I have even seen beefy looking headboards that would make a good narrow wall mounted stand-up loading "station" by extending the legs.

If you decide to build that hammer zone bench I would suggest making it narrower (16" front to back) and doubling the OSB on the top.
Both Home Depot and Lowes will cut the OSB for free!!!

I've built a few, with some ressembling an aircraft carrier or tresel bridge, and the deeper I made them the more stuff ended up there.

My latest is a 16" deep stand-up loading cabinet with a door to keep the little fingers out.

Just sayin'
Tilos

CabOpen.JPG

CabClosed.JPG

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class