JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking at getting a reloading type bench for my garage. I've checked on line and found that they do make reloading specific benches which are fine, but I was curious what you guys all use - have you found a bench say from IKEA or other than works just as well or perhaps better?

I guess it will depend on whether you want to stand or sit down when reloading. If you want to sit then find a sturdy desk. I have used one of three old "US GOVT" office desks over the years and the best was an old 60's era metal army office desk (OD green/gray) with a hard, rubberized surface which I still have. Heck if you were closer to me I would say come and get it

I am limited on space in the house, so I modified an old bakers rack.

I braced the holey living crap out of it & mounted it to the wall. It's small but it works well & I really have no complaints about it.

I like the height of it because I can work while standing or sitting on my stool.

I hope this helps.

2010_0402MAG-10Ithaca0008.jpg

costco has a nice 2" inch maple top bench for 200. It is 6 foot over all. I am putting it in my office for my gun work bench and using my loading bench for loading only.

I started out with one like BGW posted plans of and it worked great for years. Now I have a cabinet shop so I made some out of Diamond Plate pattern melamine. Whatever you build out of, I highly recommend using MDF for the top and it is dense and solid. I use 1 1/8" for my tops and clear coat them.

dsc03593e.jpg

I am limited on space in the house, so I modified an old bakers rack.

I braced the holey living crap out of it & mounted it to the wall. It's small but it works well & I really have no complaints about it.

I like the height of it because I can work while standing or sitting on my stool.

I hope this helps.

2010_0402MAG-10Ithaca0008.jpg

what you have there as far as size is exactly what I need. Thanks

costco has a nice 2" inch maple top bench for 200. It is 6 foot over all. I am putting it in my office for my gun work bench and using my loading bench for loading only.

I'll check it out - I might persuade myself not to build one after all since I bet that sucker will be crooked in the end :s0155:

I started out with one like BGW posted plans of and it worked great for years. Now I have a cabinet shop so I made some out of Diamond Plate pattern melamine. Whatever you build out of, I highly recommend using MDF for the top and it is dense and solid. I use 1 1/8" for my tops and clear coat them.

dsc03593e.jpg

WOW - if this reloading thing works out - I might upgrade to what you've got - very nice. however if I had something like that I would never leave the garage/shop.

thanks

I got a solid oak 5' x 20" w/4 drawers and bottom shelf at Oak Harbor. It was on sale and I had a 20% off coupon, total price was $111.98 reg price was $199.88 Extremely sturdy and looks nice also........

Man I sure feel under classed after seeing what everybody else has for their set up. I just went down to the local Goodwill and picked up a old heavy wooden desk for $10. Brought it home, did some reinforcing and modifications, put it in the garage and it has worked out well so far. It has a few different drawers which are handy for storing brass and tools. In fact I think the chair I use to sit at my bench came from Goodwill too.:s0114:

I made one out of 2x4 and 4x4 many years ago, while a broke a** college student. The top is 2x4s glued together and hand planed to make a nice smooth and sturdy surface. It now has a Forster single stage press opposite the Dillon. I move it to where I need it, usually in front of the couch so I can watch TV, but sometimes out in the garage etc..

RL_Bench.jpg

These type stores have many of those computer desks we all had before laptops.
Thick tops, sturdy drawers, perfect for sit-down loading.

I have even seen beefy looking headboards that would make a good narrow wall mounted stand-up loading "station" by extending the legs.

If you decide to build that hammer zone bench I would suggest making it narrower (16" front to back) and doubling the OSB on the top.
Both Home Depot and Lowes will cut the OSB for free!!!

I've built a few, with some ressembling an aircraft carrier or tresel bridge, and the deeper I made them the more stuff ended up there.

My latest is a 16" deep stand-up loading cabinet with a door to keep the little fingers out.

Just sayin'
Tilos

CabOpen.JPG

CabClosed.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show