JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
LOL I dont think my question was centered on the inspection process but what if. just what if... a cracked case was missed and relaoded what might happen? that is the question. to be honest the only cracked cases I have seen over the many many thousands of reloads I have done is at the mouth down and of course they get chucked/recycled. The feedback I have received is about what I expected. visual inspection and sound has worked for me.

Clearly your gun is bad.
I'll give you $8.95 and a coupon for a burrito for it..

Let's see... $900 rifle and $1200 scope.
$1 new brass with 4-5 loads to point of cracking, maybe more if you annealed.
Not worth the risk.

Last Edited:
I am going to kill this thread. what started as an innocent question has turned itself into insinuations of using defective brass, taking risks and endangering myself and others. that is not the case and not what I asked. You guys do a great job at shifting the conversation into a mess on a question that was never asked. I know we've been inside for a while but go outside and see whats there.

thanks for the good comments here though some of you got it. Jed I'm still willing to work with you on lunch. I probably owe you anyway.

I am going to kill this thread. what started as an innocent question has turned itself into insinuations of using defective brass, taking risks and endangering myself and others. that is not the case and not what I asked. You guys do a great job at shifting the conversation into a mess on a question that was never asked. I know we've been inside for a while but go outside and see whats there.

I wouldn't worry about it. Like I've said before, any worth-while thread that lasts more than a few posts will inevitably take on a life of it's own. Some folks are bound to get all rude and condescending. It's nothing personal. :)

By the way, I've had a LOT of cracked cases over the decades, especially back when I shot a lot of old, questionable surplus. I never once blew up a gun, but then again I don't have a $900 rifle, and most definitely have never owned a $1200 scope.

Last Edited:
I had an interesting cracked case Saturday afternoon while loading some .357.
I was loading some test ammo and was hand weighing the powder charges.
Well about 10 cases charged and I was seating the bullets and one case I picked up did not feel 'smooth'. I looked at it closely and it had a perfectly straight, vertical crack from the base to the mouth. The ends of the crack met so well I almost overlooked it !

Found a .45 ACP case last night with a weird crack. It made it through resizing, and I had already stuck a primer in it without noticing, but the cracked side was up in the bin... a vertical crack that didn't go all the way to the case mouth. Into the junk bin...

I've found that I can almost always find a cracked case just by sound. When handling loose brass it makes a jingling sound, like tiny little bells. When one has a crack, it's like one cracked bell among many. It just sounds off, and if you take the time you'll find the bad one. I'm sure all the experienced loaders here know exactly what I'm talking about.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top