JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
although I inspect my brass to ensure its serviceable I wonder what would happen if I accidentally loaded a cracked case. My thoughts are nothing would happen the chamber would keep the brass confined and the bullet and gas would exit out of the easiest way possible..... the barrel. curious on general feedback and thoughts. I did google but I did not search this forum well so if this topic has been hammered to death please let me know and I will search it.

Cracked case go boom. Sure.

At what cost, unknown.

Magbe a stuck case, if anything.

In my opinion it would depend on were at. Mouth not really a big deal unless bullet sets back due to recoil. Which could raise pressures not real likely but possibly I guess.
Neck and farther down can possibly cause a separation and a monumental battle to remove said case at times. Or in certain rifles if the rim/base blows out it can cause issues with gasses blowing back through the action.
Just my thoughts.

I've shot lots of 45 ACP with cracked cases. That round is so low pressure and so forgiving, my rule is if it feeds it shoots. I don't think I'd do that with some other types of rounds, but with that one, it's just a non issue.

thanks guys. I can certainly see that the case could no doubt separate and have eject issues no doubt, I have seen a few things lately where people actually think it could blow the gun up - which I somewhat disagree with.

BTW the crack I am talking about is the typical ones i see where at the neck down maybe 1/3 of the case length. I catch them all at least I think I do they always sounds tinny.

In my opinion it would depend on were at. Mouth not really a big deal unless bullet sets back due to recoil.
Absolutely correct. It also depends on whether rifle or pistol. On handgun rounds, bullet setback can make a big difference, though if the bullet was loose because of the crack maybe not as much; honestly I don't know.

I've shot a lot of cracked cases over the years. Not on purpose of course, and not much anymore because I don't shoot near so much surplus, but on some surplus ammo it was somewhat common. If the crack is in the neck, it's kind of a big nothing. Some say it could micro-etch the chamber so I wouldn't do it on purpose, but most of the time you'd never know until you saw the brass. On the body of the case about the same. So long as the lower part of the body seals the chamber you'd hardly know it.

It's when it lets go down at the base that things get exciting. I've had surplus rifle ammo crack and leak down near the web of the case, and high-pressure gas leaks out into your face. You really want to be wearing safety glasses, but on a rattly old war-horse like the Mosin-Nagant or Mauser it still doesn't typically do much harm to the gun. When the crack lets go through the web/base of the case, into the primer pocket, all bets are off. I had that happen once, with an Israeli round in an FAL. The rifle survive undamaged, amazingly, and I was stunned but not seriously injured, but believe me you don't want to go there. That type of case failure most definitely can blow up a gun.

Nowadays I cull my brass carefully. If I found I loaded a cracked case, I pull it down and scrap it. I know it would shoot fine but I've just gotten picky. I also don't care to shoot questionable surplus anymore.

As to people who say it'll blow up if it gets the tiniest ding or crack; they're just being overly cautious about something they don't know enough about, and that's not a bad thing. Better safe than sorry.

So far, I think all the cracked cases I've dealt with in straight walled pistol cartridges have gotten detected either during cleaning/brass prep, or as they go through sizing on the press. A sudden increase in force required, or a big change in feel as you pull the lever... and then on inspection the brass is all cracked down one side. I worry that I'll miss something like this, since I'm usually loading thousands of rounds at a time, so inspection isn't always as thorough as I'd like.

And is the point of your question whether to worry about a poor inspection process?

If it is, and you do, I hope you never shoot with anyone or let anyone shoot guns with your reloads.

If sound was your defining criteria, I surely hope you are talking about all the same cartridge from the same manufacturer, and that your hearing is pretty good.
  1. Pistol round, split case neck = high probability of bullet setback and kaboom.
  2. Pistol round, bulging case head (aka Glock bulge) = possibility of kaboom
  3. Bottle neck, split neck : possible bullet setback, higher pressure, if shoulder seals well, OK
  4. Bottle neck, split shoulder : as long as case seals, OK
  5. Bottle neck, split case head (cannot see) : case head separation, face full of gas
All assuming these are standard, normal pressure rounds.There are those here who have ruined guns from some of the above. Plenty of examples on the interwebs of people seriously injured or even losing body parts to #'s 1 & 2.
I have experienced 1, 3, and 4. Not fun, glad I was wearing safety glasses. I've also had case head separation, though I don't think I loaded a defective case.

When reloading a cracked case you should feel a substantially reduced amount of pressure to seat the bullet on a manually operated press in comparison to good brass. My experience.

And is the point of your question whether to worry about a poor inspection process?
LOL I dont think my question was centered on the inspection process but what if. just what if... a cracked case was missed and relaoded what might happen? that is the question. to be honest the only cracked cases I have seen over the many many thousands of reloads I have done is at the mouth down and of course they get chucked/recycled. The feedback I have received is about what I expected. visual inspection and sound has worked for me.

Have at er.... wanna use these???

D55A49CC-58BB-46D7-BFFE-624C40478449.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top