JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a RPR .308 and am wondering if anyone out there has one and reloads. If you do I would LOVE to find out what your load recipe is.

NOW I KNOW each gun (even the same modules) will shoot different ammo differently. So this is just a starting point.

How does no one load for a RPR .308...dam :(
I can tell you my .308 Rem700 SPS loves 175gr SMK's with XXgr of 3031 powder loaded .025" off the lands.

Powder load not listed because it's 1.7gr over published max load and it's loaded wayyy long to compensate.

One persons load is probably not going to be the most accurate load in your rifle, even if they are from the same manufacturer.

My general procedure is to pick which bullet I'm going to use, then find out which powder will give me close to 100% load density with said bullet. Then do some ladder testing with the powder and bullet ( I won't go into what that is here there are much better written instructions out there than what I could provide), after that I'll choose a node and do some more testing and bang, there it is.

lapua brass and 175 or 168 SMKs are a good starting point.

I'd suggest looking at a few load manuals and buy some Varget and RL15 and play around with some book loads. Work up and find the sweet spot. I always use the book from the bullet manufacture I'm loading, keeping in mind that it could be a big mistake using a different load manual for a different bullet manufacture. Bearing surface, ogive locations, OAL and related pressures can all vary/differ from brand to brand.

One persons load is probably not going to be the most accurate load in your rifle, even if they are from the same manufacturer.

My general procedure is to pick which bullet I'm going to use, then find out which powder will give me close to 100% load density with said bullet. Then do some ladder testing with the powder and bullet ( I won't go into what that is here there are much better written instructions out there than what I could provide), after that I'll choose a node and do some more testing and bang, there it is.

lapua brass and 175 or 168 SMKs are a good starting point.
As I stated in my OP "NOW I KNOW each gun (even the same modules) will shoot different ammo differently. So this is just a starting point." As of right now I will be starting with Lapua brass and Sierra MatchKing TMK 168 grain. Now I need to figure out the powder LOL:mad:

Now I need to figure out the powder LOL:mad:
Whatever you can buy in an 8lb jug.

Because..... I'm sure whatever load you develop you will have a blast shooting it a lot. :)

I've loaded 3031, CFE-223, 4320, and another that I can't remember in the Oh-eight. I don't take my own advice either, I buy in 1lb bottles.

I have a couple 308s but no RPR. 168 TMK is a good bullet
to start with. IMHO. The Sierra manual lists a "most accurate" load
at the bottom of each bullet weight.;) This would be a good
starting point. I am working on load development with
IMR 8208 XBR. I have used Varget, AA 2520 and few other
powders. I like how IMR 8208 XBR meters more consistent
than other stick powders.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
100 yard 5-shot groups with Savage model 10 and a cheap scope.
168 SMKs and IMR 4064
DSC00082.JPG

Last Edited:
get a box of each weight by company you want to try. mid south shooters supply has test 20 pack of nosler custom competition bullets for 5 bucks ea. don't discount 155gr pills either.
make sure your barrel is the correct twist rate for what you are throwing down range. I don't mean read the side of the barrel either. take a quality cleaning rod that spins in the handle mark it and ensure that if it reads 1/10 that it really is 1 complete turn in ten inches. a lot of times its close. sometimes not even close.
I use imr 4064, varget for the 308. as one person said above find the "most accurate load" listed in the manual and load in steps below it and a little above it. I load 5 rds of each weight to find the most accurate load. once I find a group that's nice and tight, then start adjusting powders again to tighten it up. once that's done start testing seating depths. you will find some bullets like to be jammed into the lands others like a little jump. no one barrel is the same due to chamber inconsistencies, dull reamers, long throats, bad QC, etc, etc.
I weigh all my cases for testing accuracy loads and use the same cases through the entire process. 308 is relatively easy to load for and very forgiving. take your time do the homework before you start.

IMR 4064
Lapua brass
CCI LR BR primers
SMK 175gr
Start .010" off the lands
Work up slowly from bottom listed charge to top. Watch for pressure signs and know what to look for. Flattened primers aren't always the best indicator of a hot load.

Once you see a promising load or two, go back and proof it.
Once you have the proofed powder charge settled, start moving the bullet seating depth by .005" in each direction, knowing that as you touch and start jamming the lands, pressures are going to increase.

Most of all, be safe, and have fun!
Oh, and be sure to post pictures of the targets shot with your perfect load!

I have a couple 308s but no RPR. 168 TMK is a good bullet
to start with. IMHO. The Sierra manual lists a "most accurate" load
at the bottom of each bullet weight.;) This would be a good
starting point. I am working on load development with
IMR 8208 XBR. I have used Varget, AA 2520 and few other
powders. I like how IMR 8208 XBR meters more consistent
than other stick powders.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
100 yard 5-shot groups with Savage model 10 and a cheap scope.
168 SMKs and IMR 4064
View attachment 345028

Awesome shooting Ron!! I like seeing those groups centered on the bull. The way it should be.....;)

I also have a.308 RPR, I just bought a press and scale just for it. I have found mine likes FGMM 175, my goal is to improve on it for my RPR. I will be following this page

View attachment 345138

It's hard to improve on FGMM ammo, but it's always fun trying right? One bullet that seems to be made for the 308 Winchester is the good ol 155gr. Lapua scenar. It's easy to get those pills to shoot straight...

As I stated in my OP "NOW I KNOW each gun (even the same modules) will shoot different ammo differently. So this is just a starting point." As of right now I will be starting with Lapua brass and Sierra MatchKing TMK 168 grain. Now I need to figure out the powder LOL:mad:

The 308 win is one of the least finicky cartridges ever devised by man. Powder choice will be easy. Pick a new powder like some of these guys are suggesting or go with the old tried and true RL15 and Varget. If you consult a load manual for that bullet, you'll find many good powder choices:

H4895
IMR4064
RL15
Varget
N540
N550

Just to name a few...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR