JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I know. Sounds like a ridiculous question. I'm thinking about buying a .410 pistol, but want to reduce the effects the rifling imparts on the pattern, without totally removing the rifling and putting myself in to legal issues with the gun.
Any ideas?
I was thinking about maybe using like a small ball hone in the bore and just try to break the edge of the rifling a little bit.

I have used hones after back boring and extending forcing cones on shotguns.

I'm not a gunsmith, but lapping sounds more like what you are looking to accomplish; breaking the edges and polishing the bore.

You can slug the barrel and use any number of powdered abrasives (brownells) or valve grinding compounds to polish the bore. Even using JB bore cleaner on a patch too aggressively will cause accelerated wear.

Lots of knowledge on the net detailing lapping, my ritual includes holy water and kroil.:)
Just my .02
Steve

Last Edited:
Just a word of caution for the sake my own conscience.

Before someone destroys a pre-64 with valve grinding compound or laps a chamber.

When a premium barrel maker hand laps a barrel, they recommend taking an inch plus off the muzzle because of the adverse damage caused by the lap entering and exiting the barrel. Chambering takes care of damage created on the other end.

There are tutorials out there that cover lapping without damaging the last inch of the muzzle/crown. Same considerations apply to not damaging the chamber.

It could possibly benefit the forcing cone on a revolver, but again not having gone to gunsmithing school, I don't recommend what I don't know or have personal experience with.

Fire lapping kits (David Tubb) are probably still out there. Truly respect Mr. Tubb's dedication and skills, but in my opinion, throat erosion in my rifles happens too fast as it is.

In short, please be careful, learn/read everything you can, consider your ability/skill sets and make good decisions.:)
All the best,
Steve

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR