JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Reddit has announced that they are going to start charging for access to their API. Many redditors are very much not happy and have turned their subreddits private in protest. I'm sure they will fold soon, but how soon?

What's an API? Application Programming Interface. It lets your application or widget request data from Reddit or send it data. Subreddits often become a lot more popular if someone writes an app that uses their content. Take that away, lots of people get upset.

Here's what you get when you try to access r/guns:
1686620307989.png

:s0114:

Not sure what any of that means. But only time I use Reddit app is when directed by some post on here. I figured reddot was just some blog thing or like Twitter or something.

Reddit has announced that they are going to start charging for access to their API. Many redditors are very much not happy and have turned their subreddits private in protest. I'm sure they will fold soon, but how soon?

What's an API? Application Programming Interface. It lets your application or widget request data from Reddit or send it data. Subreddits often become a lot more popular if someone writes an app that uses their content. Take that away, lots of people get upset.

Here's what you get when you try to access r/guns:
View attachment 1436764

:s0114:
They will fold tomorrow. The 3rd party parasites could start their own platforms.

Reddit is a valuable resource and also a valuable timesink for millions, myself included. Searching dozens of different forums is time consuming and often the same experts/aficionados/content creators are blended together in easy-to-find subreddits, which makes finding what you're looking for nice and simple.

Sure, it's swarming with neckbeards and extremists but at its core it's a resource that will be missed if it somehow doesn't recover (much like this forum ;) )

Someone pointed out that now Reddit owners/directors have a list of subreddits who went private/dark in order to eventually permanently ban those. Basically the corporate version of the whole "register with ATF=eventual confiscation of arms" :rolleyes:

Small loss.
Depends on the person. Aside from youtube, a ton of my education tutelage came from reddit oddly enough (professors lacked English skills usually). And as a profesh engineer I still occasionally rely on opinions from forums and places like reddit where professionals come together to brainstorm on specific subs (huge grain of salt obviously, taking advice from the internet without checking is asinine).

Gunsmithing, DIY, hiking recs, vehicle mods, cooking are interests of mine and reddit has tons of info for any hobby or task.

Depends on the person. Aside from youtube, a ton of my education tutelage came from reddit oddly enough (professors lacked English skills usually). And as a profesh engineer I still occasionally rely on opinions from forums and places like reddit where professionals come together to brainstorm on specific subs (huge grain of salt obviously, taking advice from the internet without checking is asinine).

Gunsmithing, DIY, hiking recs, vehicle mods, cooking are interests of mine and reddit has tons of info for any hobby or task.
Don't they hate guns?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top