JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We have two English Springer Spaniel pups and one just seems very "willing", such that I thought it might be fun to do some informal training. At this time I don't have any plans to hunt with the dog.

Any book recommendations?

Two books I found were very useful were, "How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves" and "How to Have the Best Trained Gun Dog". Both are by Joan Bailey.

In my experience the most important things about dog training are making it fun for both you and the dog and consistency. Also, multiple short trainings are far better than something long and drawn out. Like kids, dog's attention spans are short. Also like kids, dogs learn at different rates and each dog will have strengths and weaknesses.

Good luck - English Springer Spaniels are smart, elegant and beautiful!

I will take a picture of the pile of books that i bought when i got Thor, he is my avatar picture.

My key takeaways from everything i read:

1. Short and sweet, create better training sessions
2. Make it fun for both of you
3. Most hunting breeds already have the instincts in place, they just need to be taught what they for and how to focus them

Start with a hiding a wing around the house and yard. Move to open fields. Learn to read your dogs cues. They know what they are doing mostly, you there to learn from them. Always use positive reinforcement.
People get crazy with all the do's and dont's. I dont have time or patience for that. I wanted a hunting buddy that was also a great family companion. That is what i have. We have fun together.

Thor has been to a trainer twice, mostly due to out of country traveling. Rather than putting him at a kennel i sent him to a trainer.
He has become a couch dog. Mostly my fault. When he is on his game in the field, there is nothing like seeing him lock up and point, then killing a bird over him.
I am a casual bird hunter. It is something i enjoy doing before and during deer season.
I'd like to spend more time over on the east side chasing birds eventually.

The trainers said i made their jobs easy with all the work i did with him. They put some finishing touches on his skills and also reigned in some of his leash behavior(I am terrible at teaching leash skills and behavior).

See if you find a place that the state plants pheasants take him out there once he knows whats up. You guys will have fun bumping birds. Who knows maybe you will end up hunting with him.

I'll ask my FIL. He's been training black and chocolate labs into fantastic bird dogs down in Utah for decades now.
They aren't as smart as a springer, but I'm sure some stuff will translate.

I'll ask my FIL. He's been training black and chocolate labs into fantastic bird dogs down in Utah for decades now.
They aren't as smart as a springer, but I'm sure some stuff will translate.
@ATCclears
FIL says that he never really used books for training , and I believe that. According to him the attitude of the dog can pretty much dictate the training path. Hyper dogs need slowing, slow dogs need sped up, etc. Also he says that the most important aspect is an honest breeder. Case in point: He has a super sweet choco lab named Millie, that he bought to train as his new birder after his old dog zeke passed. He asked the breeder (a new breeder to him, he had no past relationship with this one) if the pups had been tested or shown signs of a specific ailment that comes from inbreeding of labs that basically shuts off their back legs when they get excited, but it doesn't manifest fully until after a certain age. Breeder says they've had the blood tests done and results show no sign.
First day of real training proved that a lie, Millie got excited and couldn't chase anything. I thought he was gonna brain that breeder.

Anyhow, according to him it's the breeder, your relationship with the dog, and the age of the dog at which point you start training that are the most important things.

Edit: punctuation

I've pretty much only trained Labs, but going through my collection I have the following recommendations:

The Wolters series is awesome. For your Springer pup, get https://www.gundogsupply.com/gun-dog-by-wolters.html

Though I would get the whole series, just because they're such great reads.

I have this book as well, not sure how good it is: https://bestdogtrainingbookss.blogspot.com/2012/04/best-way-to-train-your-gun-dog-delmar.html

For puppy traing generally, the Monks are the ultimate authority: https://www.amazon.com/Art-Raising-...=art+of+raising+a+puppy&qid=1647740957&sr=8-1

And for anyone who has a dog, ever, or wants to understand what a dog is, historically, biologically, and socially, the one must read go to text is: https://www.amazon.com/Dogs-Understanding-Canine-Behavior-Evolution/dp/0226115631

Seriously, no one anywhere should ever own a dog without reading the Coppinger book first. Just my humble opinion.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top