JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
but without an adjustable parrellex? Seems like an adjustable parrellex will get in the way of a hunting rifle. One that is fixed would be better? The Weatherby has a 24 inch barrel. Any ideas. Thinking less than $600. Thanks.

How much money ya wanna spend?
Me? Even when I had stars in my eyes, I thought I was being a little crazy when I dropped the $500 for my Leupold VX-R. Mine is a 3-9x40 and they make a 4-12, too. Because I'm paranoid about missing something in the very early or very late light I wanted that red dot/duplex reticle package. If that's not in good glass it's basically wasted. Mine has the CDS reticle and while it does great, and repeatable range work, I don't like the exposed elevation turret. Since my focus really is hunting and I've turned that turret by mistake when moving thru the brush I would like a normal, capped turret.
This is the 4-12x40 version of what I would buy if I was shopping now.
VX•R 4-12x40mm | Leupold

I've also used the lower dollar Leupolds with great results. I did look thru some Nikon scopes that were pretty impressive for the dollar, but never used one to give any real advice.

How would the parallax adjustment knob get in the way? Do you mean the knob itself, or the fact you could end up setting the parallax at the wrong distance?

I have a $300 4.5-14x Sightron II scope for a 17 HMR that doesn't have parallax adjustment. Great scope for what I use it for, but at 14X I can see the parallax errors at 50 and 150 yards since it is set at the factory to be parallax free at 100 yards. No big deal since it is a hunting scope and a little parallax at the other distances don't result in a miss.

However I would say if the rifle was capable of shots longer than 200 yards, I would want parallax adjustment because it could be a factor at longer distances with higher power scopes. I have a Weatherby Vanguard 270 Win and normally it has a 3-9x Leupold on it. But when hunting wide open country, I put a 5-20x Nikon Monarch with side parallax adjustment on it. I set it for 100 yards for close range shots. Anything beyond 150 yards, I typically have the time to make the needed parallax adjustments.

I do think you would be okay with a 12 or 14x scope without parallax adjustment. I highly recommend the Sightron and I know Leupold makes one too within your budget you would be happy with. Myself though, with a 270 that can reach out there 500 yards or even more if you are that kind of shooter, I would rather have parallax adjustment.

How would the parallax adjustment knob get in the way? Do you mean the knob itself, or the fact you could end up setting the parallax at the wrong distance?

I have a $300 4.5-14x Sightron II scope for a 17 HMR that doesn't have parallax adjustment. Great scope for what I use it for, but at 14X I can see the parallax errors at 50 and 150 yards since it is set at the factory to be parallax free at 100 yards. No big deal since it is a hunting scope and a little parallax at the other distances don't result in a miss.

However I would say if the rifle was capable of shots longer than 200 yards, I would want parallax adjustment because it could be a factor at longer distances with higher power scopes. I have a Weatherby Vanguard 270 Win and normally it has a 3-9x Leupold on it. But when hunting wide open country, I put a 5-20x Nikon Monarch with side parallax adjustment on it. I set it for 100 yards for close range shots. Anything beyond 150 yards, I typically have the time to make the needed parallax adjustments.

I do think you would be okay with a 12 or 14x scope without parallax adjustment. I highly recommend the Sightron and I know Leupold makes one too within your budget you would be happy with. Myself though, with a 270 that can reach out there 500 yards or even more if you are that kind of shooter, I would rather have parallax adjustment.

thanks, that sounds like good advice.

Otter had a good reply, but we really need now info on what you want and will do with it.

No doubt I'll be in the minority here, but here is a FFP option to take seriously.
Weaver Tactical model #800363. 3-15x.
FFP, matching turrets and reticle. Illuminated reticle, locking and zero-able turrets, side parallax adjustment. This scope has better glass/coatings than most people will ever buy, and will actually tolerate constant dialing and recoil from professional shooters. Not uncommon to find them for about the $600 dollar mark.

i will look it up. Thinking for hunting. The scope weight is 28 ounces and that with rings would put the rifle at about 10 pounds which might work. I have a Nikon
black 4 x 16 illuminated and I will compare. Your Weaver looks really good. Thanks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top