JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Fox, thanks for the tip... somehow I've not come across that KelTec. One thing, though, you were comparing it to Kahr's P9... the PM9 is a full inch shorter, and three quarters inch less tall (handgrip length). Its like a P9 left out in the rain ahd shrunk two sized.

I will have a squiz at the KelTec, though..... I've heard some good things about them, though they don't seem to be quite the quality of the Kahr. Price is an issue, but lower down on the ladder for me. I'll spend what I have to for the right gun... although that Rorbach, or whatever, at twice the Kahr, is out of the running.

thanks again

Playboy wrote a great review on the Kahr CW9 and PM9 a couple months ago. I'm sure it would be very useful if you can find it. Keith's sells the CW for a little over 400.00 and Coctailer sells the PM for under 600.00. I own both, and have shot alot of 9's, IMO best all around 9 for the money is Kahr.

I stopped by Cabelas again today, the didn't have a KelTec or the Walther PPK in stock.. or te &W 39. Sold them, not replaced yet. I looked at the others on the lists I've been growing..... from what I've seen so far, its definitely heading toward the Kahr. The PM 40 would work well, and is affordable though higher than some. That's OK for a good gun, though.

Sportsmen's/Wholesale had nothing but the Kahr PM 40. Their gun stock is WAY up, their ammo is worse than Portland's BiMarts were two months ago, but they do have some other stuff in.

I'll be in Tacoma tomorrow, maybe I can find someone with the MK Kahr, or a KelTec. or Walther. I know I wouldn't be going wrong at all with the Kahr, but I do want to see all the viable options.

Considering a high quality very small back-up type carry pistol in semi auto, either nine or forty S&W. Six, maybe 8 round mag capacity. Small enough to be readily be carried in a pocket or ankle holster. I'm wanting a high quality piece, not a cheapie. Handy, reliable, trusty, durable...... I've seen the Baby Brownings, but they are all in .25 ACP, not enough authority. Want 9 or .40. I've got bigger guns in those calibers already, so I won't have to begin stocking yet one more round. Lighter weight is nice, but not enough to make/break a choice.

Recommendations?

thanks in advance.

Check into Para Ordnance's WartHog in .45ACP. 10 plus rounds and then some. Or if you could find a P-10 "Limited", which is an older but tricked out version which later became the WartHog. Though not light but packs the punch and firepower.

Check into Para Ordnance's WartHog in .45ACP. 10 plus rounds and then some.

ten rounds of .45 ACP by definition is far too big for my purposes. I am looking at five and six round 9mm and .40 S&W pieces... single stack, probably. Ten of .45 ACP single stack will be far too long a mag, and double stack ten mags for .45 ACP will make the grip far too thick.

Thanks anyway, but just won't work.

Most of what I am looking at is in the order of five inches length and four inches tall, parhaps three-quarters inch thick, max. Some are a tad smaller.....

I recently got a new production kel tec pf9. I read quite a bit about them before I bought. $300 out the door including BG check. seems like they had some growing pains that have been worked out. I did a mild F&B per kel-tec owners website before I ever shot the gun. I've put 250-300 rnds of umc FMJs & HPs thru the gun. not one jam. very flat, fits in the front pocket of my jeans easily. 7 +1 9mm firepower. shoots to point of aim very well within 7-15 yrds. certainly not as well refined a gun as a Kahr or Walther, But, I would bet my life on this gun..... my $.02. good luck with whatever you get!

Looked at a Walther PPS, that's a full "size" larger than the Kahr. Same size as Kimber Ultra Carry, Spfld XDM, and Sig's smallest. So, that's out.

I've been trying to find a LekTec to handle, but so far no luck. I'll put off buying until I do, though.... several have highly recommended them. I know the Kahr would serve well, but waht to see the only remaining contender. Unless a Kahr drops into my lap at a screaming low price.... and I have found one online that may well do that... if no one else wakes up this week and decides its theirs...

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews