JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Considering a high quality very small back-up type carry pistol in semi auto, either nine or forty S&W. Six, maybe 8 round mag capacity. Small enough to be readily be carried in a pocket or ankle holster. I'm wanting a high quality piece, not a cheapie. Handy, reliable, trusty, durable...... I've seen the Baby Brownings, but they are all in .25 ACP, not enough authority. Want 9 or .40. I've got bigger guns in those calibers already, so I won't have to begin stocking yet one more round. Lighter weight is nice, but not enough to make/break a choice.

Recommendations?

thanks in advance.

I've seen good things about the Kahr, and am trying to find one in stock I can handle and play with. SO far, none available.

As to the Glock, I've handled nearly every one of their line, and my hands are too small, I have never felt I had it firmly in hand..... just can't get comfortable with any of them. Others love them, they are great guns, but hey, a fahve hunderd dollah pair a shoes that don't fit just ain't worth nuthin.......

Okay,for the purposes you describe: pick up a Sig P239. Small for carry, great handling, comfortable to shoot and accurate. To "you know where" and back reliablity.
Either caliber, one of the best. Pick one up and handle it, don't just 'muse' about it. If it fits, you'll know.

I recommend the Kahr PM9, good trigger, good sights, light, but recoil is not terrible. Close to a Glock 22 which is a full size 40 SW, in terms of recoil.

Use to have a Glock 27 it is too wide, and recoil is horrible. Shot it once or twice and sold it ASAP.

I highly recommend the Kahr P9. I also have small hands and for most of the years I wore a badge, I carried a S&W Model 36 (J frame). The Kahr feels just as comfortable in the hand as the Smith. So far, I have fired 100 rounds or so without a single malfunction. After the first 20 rounds or so getting used to the trigger pull, I can now keep all in the 10 ring at 7 yards and in the black at 15. It's one of the best I've ever owned. It's also very comfortable to carry concealed. Hope this helps.

Went to the website, interesting enough, but no dealer in Western Washington, I won't drive to Spokane to "look" at a pistol. Price is high, right up there with a top quality 1911 full size. I know, the same number of parts to make the thing work. Still.....

I can't buy from Oregon, as I'm sentenced to isolation in Washington when it comes to handguns. Stupid interference with interstate commerce and all, coupled with the infringement of my right to keep (which included buy) and bear arms.

Thanks for the suggestion... it DOES look to be a nice piece of work. If I happen to be anywhere near Gresham, I may stop in and have a grab. Wonder how they could arrange for me to buy one, should I fall in love with it? Carry it across to Washington so I can buy it there? Crazy, these regs...... the thing isn't much heavier than an Airlite, which is impressive. Doesn't seem to be rated for +P loads, though.....

Went to the website, interesting enough, but no dealer in Western Washington, I won't drive to Spokane to "look" at a pistol. Price is high, right up there with a top quality 1911 full size. I know, the same number of parts to make the thing work. Still.....

I can't buy from Oregon, as I'm sentenced to isolation in Washington when it comes to handguns. Stupid interference with interstate commerce and all, coupled with the infringement of my right to keep (which included buy) and bear arms.

Thanks for the suggestion... it DOES look to be a nice piece of work. If I happen to be anywhere near Gresham, I may stop in and have a grab. Wonder how they could arrange for me to buy one, should I fall in love with it? Carry it across to Washington so I can buy it there? Crazy, these regs...... the thing isn't much heavier than an Airlite, which is impressive. Doesn't seem to be rated for +P loads, though.....

correct not rated for +P loads.

and you can purchase it from a oregon dealer as long as you have the dealer ship it to a firearms dealer in wa. then you will have to do the paperwork in wa with the dealer you had oregon ship it to.

Just toddled off to Cabelas to put hands on some things...... I've settled on the Kahr PM 40 or the MK 40... same gun, one has lightweight poly frame, other is metal. Metal is four ounces more weight, Difference between 9 and 40 for weight is about one ounce... making it a no brainer to get the .40. Now, its just find a good buy on one. The P 40 is significantly larger... half inch more barrel, but a full inch overal length, and another inch in height. Makes the 3" barrel models the one. I was able to compare side by side with the S&W 642, the MK 40 is actuallly a tad smaller... believe it or not!!

SO--- I've settled on what I need to find. Handled the Sigs, in 40 they are all double stack, there was a small single stack in 9, but it was quite a bit bigger than the Kahr. Checked out a S&W as well, about the same size as the Sig and the P 40, a LOT heavier, and didn't have as fine a feel to it in the action. I also like that the Kahr has concealed hammer, and is true double action. Nothing sticking out the back to snag.... or that can get hung up when its time to fire.

Also, and the thing that got me looking at them, is Massad Ayoob likes those tiny Kahrs a LOT.... has had thousands of rounds through them, and they ALWAYS work. Good recommendation, as I am convinced he is one dud that lives his words.

thanks to all who piled on here.. it helped to get more ideas.

I went through 3 guns before I settled on my primary Conceal hand gun.
In order:

*Sig P228 9mm (Too heavy and Too Big) paid $400 used
*Taurus 24/7 PRO C DS 9mm (still too heavy and wide) $425 new
*Kel Tec P3AT (too small only fired a .380 round) $235 used

I then found the Kel Tec PF9 $279 new and fell in love with it! It's now my current carry piece.

I looked at the Kahr P9. I had both the PF9 and KahrP9 together on the counter and handled them and compared them. Kel Tec $279 - Kahr $675. Both held 7+1 9mm, but the Kel Tec was thinner, lighter and fit the bill for what I needed it for.

Yes, the Kahr is shorter, but feels much wider, bulkier and a bit too heavy for my personal taste in concealed carry. The finger extension on the Kahr was also more pronounced and seemed to hang up on clothes more then the PF9 did.

The slide was also noticeably harder to rack then on the PF9.

I'm sure the Kahr is a nice firearm. Might work great in winter though.

I ended up going with the Kel Tec PF9 instead. The Kahr was still bit heavy for summer concealed carry and for it's larger size only held and a bit wider then the Kel Tec.

What I personally Liked about the PF9.

*Smallest 9mm in the world.
*Light weight
*Thin
*All fingers would still fit on grip with mag extension.
*Fit in my hand better then the Glock 26.
*Holds 7+1 9mm rounds
*Built in Rail for Laser and or Light
*Decent Sights with adjustable rear sight.
*Under $300 bucks.
*Small enough to fit into a front or back pocket, yet feels nice to hold and shoot.
Not too small, and not too big or heavy.
*Extra Magazines are only $20 bucks.

I purchased an extra magazine, added the finger extension, put on a Hoag Grip, and added the attached belt clip.

The total price I paid for the PF9 and all the extras and accessories was only $315.
Half the price of a stock Khar.

For me I needed 4 things.

*Comfortable to have on me all the time in any type clothes.
*Large enough to fit my hands well yet small and light enough I'll carry it all the time and be comfortable.
*Decent Caliber for defense +P Ammo capable.
*A Price that wouldn't break my bank.

You can easily carry this with shorts, slacks, Jeans, tank tops, T-Shirts, suit pants, etc. Not too small, not too large.

The recoil is less then that of the P3AT .380 as it has dual recoil springs.

If I was to get a SECOND carry pistol it would probably be either the Kahr or PPS. Just with the PPS held a few more rounds for that price!

Granted I purchased this for Conceal carry ONLY. It only needed to fill one job role. The show pistol will follow! haha

That's my 2 cents.

The Kel Tec PF9 fit this for me perfect!

I did also check out the Walther PPS. Nice, but is only a 6+1 and costs around $675. Twice as much new.

0.jpg

pf9_02.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top