JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently purchased a 16 20 Socom. Can someone recommend either a red dot, holographic or optical sight for my 66 year old eyes? I'm planning on using this for sport and unlikely hunting. Likely shooting at 50 or 100 yards.

I have a Ultra Dot/Match Dot II on a Ruger Government Bull barrel-so that seems to work well at 50 yards.

Can some one recommend a "handle" for carrying the AR with the option to a fix a optical sight as above?

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ANTICIPATED ASSISTANCE. TKDGUY

so you want carry handle, and optic on top of that?

something like this?
100_3034.jpg

most people don't like mounting optic on top of carry handle, because it's too high and you can't get good cheek weld on it.

and what price range?

so you want carry handle, and optic on top of that?

something like this?
View attachment 91529

most people don't like mounting optic on top of carry handle, because it's too high and you can't get good cheek weld on it.

and what price range?
I'm thinking $400 for the optics and mount (roughly). I see the problem you described above with a handle and a scope ontop. I like the handle for carrying. Seem that it would be a whole lot easier. tkdguy

While having the eye piece so high off of the cheek piece is an issue it's not insurmountable. I use a variety of scopes on my Colt H-BAR including a Baush and Lomb 6-24 power varmint job, looks pretty goofy sticking out past the front sight. I have a lace on cheek piece and it works very well but I rarely use it anymore. You just get used to placing your lower tooth line on the stock just the same every time. Good luck finding your perfect solution!

Highly recommend that you do some field research in brick-n-mortar stores first of all, to (literally) see what type of sight will work best for your eye type and vision. Then take it from there. This is a highly subjective choice.

For some, a Holo sight is the best fit and for others, the red-dot type will be a winner.

Some people with astigmatism have problems with red dots.

My choice was an Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic which has been running constantly for 3 years on the same battery, and produces very good results for me. Never a single problem.

Mounted on a LaRue QD mount, it's been a great piece of gear.
Aimpoint-PRO-285x245.jpg
I had a detachable carry handle, but removed it to minimize snagging during handling and to get a better sight picture from a Magpul ACS stock.

A single-point-sling has taken care of the carrying chores.

If your budget is upto $400 - check out Vortex' newest dot sight - the Spitfire. A friend of mine is a manager at the new Sportsman's Warehouse, he showed me the sight the other day (they just got their shipment, hadn't even had a chance to put them on display yet) - very clear glass, and an interesting reticule - it's a 2MOA dot inside a 20 MOA circle that has a 65MOA circle around that. (I think I got those circle sizes right) - it's like the EO Tech reticule but with an extra circle. The reticule is supposed to be etched, and is supposed to be usable with illumination turned off, and it was VERY clear and crisp compared to the other $400 and cheaper sights I've seen. The sight has both red & green - which is nice because I find the green to be more visible in most situations and prefer the green setting on both the Vortex Strikefire and Redfield Counterstrike.

Like the Strikefire and Counterstrike, the Spitfire comes with the mount. Retail on the Spitfire was $300.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/spitfire_prism_scopes

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR