JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As a secondary/deep carry pistol, I carry a LCP in .380. I also have one in .22LR just for fun. It operates wonderfully and remains quite tiny.

The scope of this OP was which .22 handgun, not would you carry a .22 handgun. So, if the choice was a .22 handgun or nothing, I would still choose a .22 .

Last Edited:
I am a no on any semi auto in 22lr for sd. If you absolutely are set on 22lr get one of the small revolvers mentioned or learn to throw your main carry piece accurately when it runs dry.

If you're thinking small 22 as a back up to one of the others you mention look at the Sidewinder from North American Arms. Just dont have a stroke when you see the price tag.........Maybe just go with a regular one. I've been just going with a Kimber micr 9 as back up lately but I can hide it with my clothing choice, but that's me. I dont always carry a back up just depends on where I am going and for how long or if I am traveling alone.
Price tag is not that bad for the quality. Sidewinder 22 mag was $280 at northwest armory but don't know what it is now. 6.7 ounces. Gunzone deals was $283 but it's $309 now. Great belly gun or up close and personal imo.
A9D9658A-E0CA-49B5-A5CA-D1CDDF9F13D9.jpeg
1E424465-7E43-42D1-906A-77B9D423A957.jpeg

Last Edited:
View attachment 1131340
Maybe with some extensive range time I could trust one of these.
Suggest staying away from beretta Bobcat (I have never shot Tomcat) at ALL COSTS. Too many flaws to list here and I have listed them in other threads. It's a long list. Probably the worst gun I've ever owned and I've had some dog Sh$t guns.

Horrible, horrible gun.

Last Edited:
Suggest staying away from beretta tomcat at ALL COSTS. Too many flaws to list here and I have listed them in other threads. It's a long list. Probably the worst gun I've ever owned and I've had some dog Sh$t guns.

Horrible, horrible gun.
Lol.
I hated shooting my inox Tomcat , so I sold it.
But it was so ugly/beautiful and fun to manipulate that I miss it constantly.

Ex's are like that sometimes.

Hard No.
I have one and absolutely Love it! One of my most favorite guns! I REALLY like it.
Love Stingers too!
However.....just one misfire/no fire, even just a failure to eject...completly shut down :(
If there were an extractor and a slim grip option the search would be over.

Joe
A .22 LR gun would be my last ditch handgun - if that. I prefer a Kahr PM/CM 9 or something like that as a backup and a .22 LR pistol would be something I stick in my pocket, not intending to use it for self-defense, for the reasons you mention.

But the OP wanted a .22 backup. so *shrug*

Serious question. Instead of a backup to your primary why not just another mag? Less weight, less footprint…

NAA Pug in 22WMR, it'll ruin ANYONE's day from bad-breath range to about 5 meters.

View attachment 1130842
View attachment 1130843View attachment 1130844
I agree with that 5m distance. Also this video shows pretty well the type of accuracy you can expect (how easy to shoot accurately I mean, not mechanical accuracy of the gun if it were in a vice).

Also due to size their are lots of carry options (including pants watch pocket). This is the one I use fwiw (multi tool belt holster). I always thought it would make a great ankle gun too but never bothered researching ankle holsters for it.
82482A4A-C63E-4740-89E7-15EBED53DE3B.jpeg
527C1F8E-4655-4882-9AE8-209E4E5D43BE.jpeg

Last Edited:
Ok, I'm going to ask, what's a New York reload?
Old line from long ago. It is of course a waste but, I have done this all my life. The chances I will ever need to use a gun in defense again are really out there. Chance that the one I have would fail? We are getting into hit by lightning odds now. Why do I still carry two? Don't really know, I guess it just makes me feel better? So even though I know many laugh at it I still do it. Will probably go to grave never needing it but, figure what the hell. If I ever do need it I can be happy? :D

I think he's talking about backup not increasing capacity via 2nd gun. Fe if first gun is disabled/lost/whatever. A snubby revolver as backup Fe means you can fire with muzzle contacting opponent such as if grappling with opponent. It's a second option that may never be used. Clint Smith carries a snub revolver for that Fe:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top