JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What's gonna have less recoil at the shoulder, 300 winmag in 150 (smaller bullet more powder) or 180 grain (bigger bullet less room for powder) I bought a. Tika T3 and boy does she kick. But I like carrying it in the woods due to its lightness

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The 150 grain bullet will generally produce less recoil. Does the box give muzzle energy data? the box with the least muzzle energy will have the least recoil.

Answer: a .30-06.

Seriously, Hitman, the lighter bullet load will develop less recoil than the heavy bullet load. You are right that bullet weight is not the ONLY source of recoil (especially FELT recoil). Amount of powder does contribute. And, as you are finding out, rifle weight and design are factors as well.

You could also look at having a muzzle break put on the rifle to help a little bit with the recoil. Or figure out how to make the rifle a little heavier, this also impacts recoil.

Or just change caliber. :) Of course, remember if you are hunting with the firearm you want to have enough power to drop your target. So, grinning and baring it might be a fact of life.

M

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

So with the same rifle, whichever load is carrying less energy forward is going to recoil less backward. Now, your shoulder may or may not be "calibrated" enough to determine this. And it's all made worse by a light rifle. I started hunting with a friends featherweight Husqvarna in 7mm Rem Mag. For a while I feared pulling the trigger on the rifle. It was a very nice gun, just a huge pain to shoot.

lightweight and .300wm are 2 words that don't belong together.

as mentioned a muzzle break, a limbsaver or other cushy butt pad and you might put one of those shell holders on your buttstock loaded with shells, to add more weight. Its weight you would probably be carrying on your body anyway but it does seem to help by adding to your rifle ) same concept as adding a heavy buffer to a ar15 to show the bolt carrier down which also softens the felt recoil.

A little background, I have hunted with a very custom mosin nagant with muzzle brake timney trigger with modern safty and custom stock with 22 in. Barrel. Last year I used my AR10 with spendy bullets. All heavy but easy to shoot,plus I always get snow in my muzzle break. So I wanted a all weather, stainless steel light gun with no break. Just simple. I purchased some 180 grain hornady super formance SST that are supposed to add 200 fps without felt recoil. Well jt kicks twice *** hard as my mosin before the muzzle brake. Wich I thought would be fine because I usually don't get to shoot it hunting, just pack it around. But I let all my hunting buddies shoot it last weekend and they all swore it puked split green soup on them and spun its head around three times after they shot it. So I was thinking about getting normal rounds lol

Before I had a .308, I used Remington Managed Recoil ammo for deer hunting with my Savage 111 300WM. Combined with a limbsaver it was like shooting a .308. However, the standard loads still kicked. The limbsaver is a must have if you are shooting more than a few rounds.

I will used a sled to target it in, but if I shoot a elk or deer I doubt I will even remember shooting it. I walk miles and I like the feel of this new rig. I think if I get 150 grain bullets that are not super charged, I will be comfertable. I thought it was tollerable before but my buddies tell me to tame it down abit

A thick Limbsaver or Decelerator is a must. My 300 WSM with the Decelerator weighs under 7 lb. ready to hunt and it doesn't hurt. I bought a Vais brake at the same time but Tornado Tech was too busy to thread the muzzle so when the mounts came in I took it out, got it dialed in on the Lead Sled and then shot it freehand with Fusion 150s @ 3300. You should have seen my jaw drop open, the muzzle jump was fierce but the recoil didn't faze me. I shot off the rest of the box and all that night I kept feeling my shoulder for pain or bruising, none. I've shot 180 gr elk loads since then and it still doesn't bother me.

It really jumps off the bags so it's a challenge to shoot accurately, I'm going to try draping a towel over the front bag and moving the bag closer in. If I can't get it to settle down I'll mount that brake and get a thread cap for when it's not on.

Here's some good low recoil SR-4759 and IMR-4198 loads for deer and practise. Takes it from 300 Savage - 30-06. <broken link removed>

AA-5744 and 4895 work too.

If you are real careful and don't double charge a case you can use Blue Dot and run 7.62x39 or 30-30 velocities.

I will used a sled to target it in, but if I shoot a elk or deer I doubt I will even remember shooting it. I walk miles and I like the feel of this new rig. I think if I get 150 grain bullets that are not super charged, I will be comfertable. I thought it was tollerable before but my buddies tell me to tame it down abit

So I really don't understand, what did you expect when you buy a light rifle in a magnum caliber? It's not going to be like rubbing a bunny against your shoulder:s0114:. If you thought it was tolerable, why listen to what you're buddies think? If you don't like how it shoots, sell or trade it for something else. My biggest worry with a rifle like that is going to be flinch. You flinch, you miss which will lead to wounded or missed game. There's suggestions here to tame it down a bit, but it's still a 300 win mag. I guess you could by some reduced recoil rounds, but then why didn't you just buy a .308 or a .30-06? For some reason you felt you needed the .300WM, so that is what you bought, don't tame it down. Get a removable break, a nice recoil pad, and when you take it to the range put a folded up dish towel between you and the stock. Site it in and get comfortable with the gun. Then when you hunt, pull the break off to save your ears, leave the dish towel at home and be confident with your weapon so you only have to pull the trigger once.

Sorry if I seem like I am being an ***, but like I said, I am so confused by this post. :D. Also, of all the game I've shot, I can honestly say I don't remember the recoil. It's not because it kicked so hard I blacked out, it's because of the rush of finding the animal and taking the shot. Sure I may be sore later as I get to my bunk, but chances are that is going to be from recovering the meat and butchering it. With something hanging in camp, the recoil of the rifle is the farthest thing from my mind.

My point was having buck fever would make me notcare or remember the recoil of the shot. My mistake was buying the hottest rounds I could find for a light weight rifle. I have shot allot of 300 winmags before but these rounds change the attitude of this gun. I just shot some rem 150 grain a minute ago and it felt nice

125 gr Ballistic Tips are you need for Blacktail, keep em under 3000 fps (even better at 2800) and they should exit. With fast powder it should feel like a 25-06.

The 130 TTSX will exit big deer and cow elk from extreme angles.

Both bullets are long for their weight.

Every one here has given you good advice. Now for my 2 cents, the pachmeyer decelerator is superior to the limbsaver. Send it to Magnaport for a brake or porting or both, superior products yield superior results.

A question: Why buy a light weight rifle? Most of us are carrying around extra weight anyway, what's another few pounds?

What's gonna have less recoil at the shoulder, 300 winmag in 150 (smaller bullet more powder) or 180 grain (bigger bullet less room for powder) I bought a. Tika T3 and boy does she kick. But I like carrying it in the woods due to its lightness

The nice thing about handloading is that you can custom load to meet your needs. The 300WM can be loaded down to a 30-06 level or anywhere in between. Make sure you have a decent reloading manual that specs out light loads if you decide to go that route. Remember that shot placement is more important than a few extra foot pounds when you're hunting. Also lots of good advice here about how to reduce the felt recoil with accessories.

The bullets I was using where extreme, I shot it today with normal ammo and it felt like a normal gun. I wanted one meat gun for elk,deer or bear( which are not that big around these parts) so I chose a 300 winmag. I've been carring very heavy stuff around the last couple years and wanted a light gun to help me out. I had a bit of a heart problem this year so I need all the help I can get. I even bought a badlands pack sp I could be comfortable. Wich I never thought I would do.

Yeah lightweight guns are spendy and I could only afford one that's why I went .30 Short Mag instead of a lighter caliber. I'll load it like a hot -06 for elk.

I had a bit of a heart problem this year so I need all the help I can get. I even bought a badlands pack sp I could be comfortable. Wich I never thought I would do.

Ohhhhh spread that recoil around. I got one of these before I found out how good my recoil pad was, it works. RANDY WAKEMAN OUTDOORS Past makes a strap-on shield too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top