JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If a dovetail groove is machined right it will require a really tight pressfit to install or move, many rear sights rely on this technology for years just fine even surviving bumps and drops without budging. Nowadays dovetail groove sights like Novak are all coming with set screws. If the dovetail is machined right, what is the setscrew for?

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.midwayusa.com%2Fproductimages%2F880x660%2FPrimary%2F255%2F255449.jpg

Insurance.

Not all things are perfectly machined every time by every manufacturer.

Tools wear out. Stacking issues occur. You get a rear sight cut fat with a new tool at high end of tolerance and a dovetail at other end and it's not like throwing a hot dog down a hallway but after some hard use stuff moves.

I wish all rear sights had set screws.

Not all things are perfectly machined every time by every manufacturer.

Dovetail machining has been done for many years now, I would think with todays modern cnc machines it would be even easier.

Regardless, for the money we pay I just cant imagine relying on a set screw as the final piece holding my rear sight in.

Last Edited:
There are worse things to fret over.

Consider it like a deadbolt AND a knob lock on your door.

Yes, I know.... First world problems. I get it.

But it did happen to me on a brand new 1911... Rear sight came off first time out. Took 3 trips under warranty to convince them to mill a new slide. In the end they did...

Been wondering what the point of that set screw is for ever since. That screw isnt gonna stop a side load bump or drop from moving.

Yes, I know.... First world problems. I get it.

But it did happen to me on a brand new 1911... Rear sight came off first time out. Took 3 trips under warranty to convince them to mill a new slide. In the end they did...

Been wondering what the point of that set screw is for ever since. That screw isnt gonna stop a side load bump or drop from moving.

Actually, a properly torqued set screw WILL under "normal" conditions.

Actually, a properly torqued set screw WILL under "normal" conditions.

Under normal conditions, the set screw is not needed.

And I went thru this with that new 1911... They didnt want to replace that slide, and that set screw did not hold.

If it was torqued properly it would. Commie optics like the POSP use set screws on parts you adjust and they have no issue keeping things from moving when bumped or dropped.

I got a vintage pistol with some big dot express sights on it.. the rear dovetail has two tiny set screws. The dovetail fit is VERY loose and I wasn't going to trust those screws so I blue locktited the sight but not the screws.
That thing ain't going anywhere.

If a dovetail groove is machined right it will require a really tight pressfit to install or move, many rear sights rely on this technology for years just fine even surviving bumps and drops without budging. Nowadays dovetail groove sights like Novak are all coming with set screws. If the dovetail is machined right, what is the setscrew for?

View attachment 556356
ONLY use it if you need it. You could always out a Plug Screw in the hole if it bothers you that much. :):):)

ONLY use it if you need it. You could always out a Plug Screw in the hole if it bothers you that much. :):):)

It doesnt bother me its there, it just tells me that manufacturers arent putting the quality and care into production anymore.

It doesnt bother me its there, it just tells me that manufacturers arent putting the quality and care into production anymore.
There's lots of things that have to be Factored into the Process, like how sharp is the Cutter Bit and How Skilled/Unskilled is the Operator and How Old is the Machine, even How Good the Computer Skills of the Guy/Gal at Programing the CBC Machine doing the Cutting. Yep, lots of things involved.:):):)

Set screws are being used so that we can concentrate our efforts on threads discussing the relative merits of 9mm vs .45 (I say 9×33mmR smokes .45). Rather than discussing the various ways of fixing a loose dovetail and trying to beat it into peoples heads install left to right, remove right to left. The set screw has largely eliminated the need for hand fitting rear sights.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews