JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been seeing a few threads lately about concerns over shotgun weight and it prompted me to weigh the 5 shotguns we have here at the house.
Hopefully some of you may find this info useful.
I used an old Hanson 25 lb. kitchen scale to weigh these guns. Despite its pedestrian looks its actually quite accurate and I've trusted it for years.
So the 5 guns we have are a couple of Remington's; an 1100 Lightweight in 20 ga. with a 26" barrel choked modified and an 11-48 in 12 ga. with a 28" full choked barrel.
We also have a couple of H&R break action singles; an 088 Topper in 20 ga. with a 25" barrel choked modified and a model of 1908 in 16 ga. with a 28" full choked barrel.
Finally, a JC Higgins Model 20 in 12 ga. with a 28" barrel choked full.
These were my father's guns (except for my Topper and his father's 1908). Since his passing they've sort of fallen to me and my brother but we keep them here. Its just easier.
…so on with the weighing...

1100 - 6.5 lbs.
11-48 - 7 lbs. 11.5 oz.
Model 20 - 7 lbs. 12.5 oz.
Model of 1908 - 5 lbs. 15 oz.
088 Topper - 5lbs. 4oz.

I was really surprised by the similarity in weight between the Model 20 and the 11-48 since my brother and I both refer to the pump as The 16 inch Naval Gun.
Its not nearly as nicely balanced as 11-48 and I think that helps it feel a lot heavier.
If you take into consideration its habitual "shell dropping" feature (load 3, shoot 1, pick 2 up off the ground), its the least favourite of all the shotguns we have.
My dad got the 1100 when I was about 15 and I wasn't too impressed with it back then. In those days, I had a Stevens 511 SxS that I did not enjoy carrying, but I could shoot it well.
A few years ago, I got invited to go shooting at a nearby range and I brought the 1100 (along with my 088). Apparently, I've grown a little since the late 70's ( ;) ) and the 1100 was a real joy to shoot that day. When time comes to split up the household items, I may try to keep that one.
The 088 belonged to a guy I worked with back in the late 80's and one day he asked me if I would help him move. Begrudgingly, I said yes.
Turned out he had his stuff together and had everything setup and ready to go. It was actually one of the easiest moves I've ever done. We had it all in the truck within an hour.
Afterwards, he invited me to a little Scotch he had sitting around and asked me how much $$$ I wanted for helping him move. I thought for a moment and remembered the little shotgun I had pulled out of the closet earlier. Lucky for him, in those days, I really wanted a little break action single and what I was finding at the time I'm not 100% sure was safe to shoot ( :eek: ).
I asked for the gun and he couldn't give it to me fast enough.
The internals were in a baggie as a part had broken. I sent it to a gunsmith and had him open the choke to modified while he fixed it.
For what I paid to have the work done, I could've bought a used gun in far worse, but probably working, condition. So, my feeling has always been...in the end...I made out! ( :D )
Unfortunately, I found the stock was a little on the short side and when I went to shoot it, it would pound my shoulder in mince meat in no time.
I put the gun aside and considered recoil pads, but life took over and I never took care of the problem.
Then, about 10 years ago, I heard about something called a "Limbsaver". In those days, it was made by Winchester, so I went to check one out and found they made a slip on version that would fit my stock!
It actually increases the LoP a little longer than what it would've been originally but it was just enough to work with my frame and the gun has been a real joy to shoot since getting that.
If you're considering a Limbsaver but aren't sure, trust me, its money well spent. Those things REALLY work!
Many years ago, I was lucky enough to have a couple of questions I'd written to Shooting Times magazine published. In one, I asked about the H&R 1908 that we had sitting here. They told me the gun dated from 1914-1915. I know it belonged to my grandfather and he was born in 1901, so that may have been his first gun.
It's missing the fore arm stock and has never been shot during my lifetime.
The lockwork is still tight and crisp though, so I may have to get that forearm one of these days...then tie it to a tree and pray I don't hurt anyone when I shoot it ( :p ).
Anyway, if you've made it this far, thank you for reading and my apologies for taking up your valuable time with my mindless ramblings.
Guess I was bored or wanted to document a few things...something like that.
Hope someone finds those shotgun weights I listed, of use.

Dean

Last Edited:
Thanks for posting...
Real world weight for guns , can be different than published weight one sees in the catalog.
And yeah I know all about wood density and such...but still real information from a owner or user of said gun is valuable.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads