JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
An avalanche/deluge/landslide of written testimony has been submitted for the Oregon Senate Judiciary Committee meeting tomorrow. Read it here https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2013R1/Committees/SJUD/2013-04-05-08-30/MeetingMaterials

Samples

I am an older Central Oregonian and a life-long Republican.
I have been a gun owner and still relish a bit of “plinking cans in a gravel pit.”

While I cannot be present at Friday’s hearings, I wish to express my strongest possible support
for Senate Bills 347, 699, 700, and 796.

I consider these bills important steps in the ongoing process to bring some measure of control
over gun violence.

Will they bring the horror of gun violence totally under control?
Of course not, but they are an important start!

A very wise man once wrote, “All that is necessary for evil
to triumph is for good people to do nothing.”

May you, our legislators, have the courage to resist the self-serving focus of the NRA and others
like them and become those who attempt “to do something.”

My name is Philip Bryer and I live in Eugene.

I am writing in support of the following Senate bills:

Senate Bill 700 is essential legislation because it closes the private sales loophole so
criminals and dangerous people can't buy guns.

Senate Bill 347 is absolutely necessary to give school districts the authority to prohibit guns
in Oregon public schools, K-12. I think guns should also be banned from all college and
university campuses.

Senate Bill 699 protects the public from the intimidating and bullying behavior of people
with concealed handgun licenses who flaunt or otherwise display their deadly weapons while
in public buildings.

Senate Bill 796 may reduce some of the carnage by requiring people who apply for a
concealed handgun license to pass a firing range test.

It's way past time to show some courage in curbing the gun lobby and the corporate
interests that oppose gun controls.

My name is Susan Beal and I am the mother of two young children in Portland. I'm
respectfully asking for your support for safer gun laws in Oregon, particularly Senate
Bills 700 and 347. I hope these are just the first of many common-sense efforts
regulating firearms as sensibly as other potentially dangerous products, like
automobiles or prescription narcotics.

I simply ask for firearms to be covered by the same type of common-sense laws
that govern cars and driving: someone who wants to own and drive a car must pass
a basic skills test, show legal identification, get insurance, register the car when it's
bought, and drive it safely so no one is hurt or killed. These basic measures do not
restrict anyone's rights and hugely improve public safety. So should it be with guns.

I am also strongly in favor of SB 700 regulating gun sales the same way in all
venues. Guns are far too easy to get when they change hands for cash at gun
shows.

My name is Melissa Chureau, and I am a mother and professional from southwest Portland. I
am also a member of Moms Demand Action because action for gun sense in Oregon and
America is the most important action we can undertake to protect our families and other
citizens from senseless violence.
I am calling on State legislators to adopt Bill 347 to give school districts the authority to ban
guns on campus.
Guns are lethal weapons designed to be exactly that. Schools and guns don't mix, period.

There is simply no place for guns in schools. Schools should be sanctuaries free of violence
and weapons where children and educators can focus on learning. Guns and children don’t
mix. Please adopt Bill 347 to give school districts the authority to ban guns from schools so
they can keep children safe!

To the Honorable Senator Prozanski - Chair, Senator Close - ViceChair, Senator Dingfelder -
Member, Senator Kruse - Member, and Senator Roblan - Member:

I am writing to encourage all of you to support these four bills that you will receive
testimony on this Friday, April 5th.

In my view, these bills go nowhere near far enough to provide the level of gun safety that is
needed in our state. They are however, a good start.

and many many many more.

I'm sure all the guys who demonstrated with AR-15's at the capitol and who have posted thousands or millions of words on this forum about their support for gun rights and how Obama is going to take our guns took the time and went through the trouble of submitting written testimony to counter-balance all the pro-gun control testimony submitted, right?

Right? Hello?

I let my voice be heard.In an email,of course,to let the monkeys at the capitol know that I am 100% against ANY gun control legislation.I do this weekly and three or four times this week alone.I will continue to do so until I can't type anymore.

Yep. I told our senators that I hold supporters of 'gun free' zones as guilty for deaths of victims of violence for having denied the victims the alternative of self defense.

I do support live fire training, but am concerned that even more costs discriminate against the less affluent.

Update. I just found that they published my home address as I had included it in the comment. Not what I wanted.

It's scary how many times you see "this will not stop gun violence, but it's a good start"

If this is the start where is the end?

They wonder why gun owners don't want to give a inch.

I've read through a lot of them we have some representation. BTW why do I have to save a PDF before I can open it? What security setting is stopping me.

Location for tomorrows hearing. Is that the Capitol Building HR 50?????

Yes.

IMPORTANT! THE COMMITTEE HAS EXTENDED THE DEADLINE TO SUBMIT WRITTEN TESTIMONY TO APRIL 8!

Date: Friday-April 5
Time: 8:30 A.M.
Room: HR 50
The committee will hold a special three and one half hour Public Hearing between 8:30 AM - 12:00 PM (noon).
The meeting will be held in Hearing Room 50

Due to the number of individuals who are expected to give testimony, it will be necessary to limit oral testimony
to no more than three (3) minutes. It is quite possible not everyone will be able to give oral testimony.

Individuals who are not able to testify at the hearing, may submit written testimony (electronically or hard
copy) to the Committee by Monday April 8th, 2013, at 5:00 PM.
The committee address is found at the top
of the agenda.

It is very important that you tell the members of the committee your opinions of the bills. IT IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN EMAILING YOUR SENATOR OR REPRESENTATIVE. If the bills are killed in committee they are DEAD. If they are passed in committee they go to the full Senate for a vote.

SB 347 Modifies crime applicable to possession of firearm, or instrument used as dangerous weapon, while in or on school grounds.

Prohibit guns in K-12 schools; exceptions: This bill would establish a statewide policy prohibiting carrying
a gun into a K-12 school building, but a local school district could "opt-out of this policy and allow
individuals to carry guns in their school buildings.

The bill would also allow a school district to authorize ROTC programs, gun safety and hunter
training classes or other reenactment/demonstration programs, without opting-out of the state policy.

Amendments to be considered: SB 347-3, SB 347-4

SB 699 Modifies laws prohibiting possession of firearms in public buildings.

Concealed Carry in Public Buildings: The bill would require CHL holders to carry their gun
concealed in public buildings.

Amendments to be considered: SB 699-1, SB 699-3

SB 700 Requires person to request criminal background check before transferring firearm to any other person outside the transferor's immediate family.

Background checks; exceptions: Requires criminal background checks before guns are transferred between
private parties. Transfers between family members are exempted, unless the family member who is
transferring the gun knows or should have known the other family member is prohibited by
law from possessing a firearm.

Amendment to be considered: SB 700-14 which replace the original bill in its entirety

SB 796 Requires person applying for concealed handgun license to pass firing range test.

"Live fire training for CHL applicants: The bill would require CHL applicants to complete "live fire
training as part of the gun safety program.

Amendments to be considered: SB 796-1, SB 796-3

Write something up, then convert it to .pdf format. You can use PDFLite - PDF Viewer and ConverterPDFlite | Free PDF Reader and PDF Converter to convert a Microsoft Word document to .pdf. Then email your testimony in as an attachment to your email to [email protected]

Include the following in your email

10. In addition to my testimony, what information should I include in my email? Back to top

In the email subject line, please identify the bill number and the name of the committee holding the meeting. In the body of the email, include:

Name of person who is testifying,
Meeting date,
and
Topic, if not related to a bill (e.g., for an informational meeting).

If you aren't sure what to write, read what others have written https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2013R1/Committees/SJUD/2013-04-05-08-30/MeetingMaterials

Please, don't waste time doing anything else between now and April 8 if you care about stopping these bills.

Those are not emails.

That is written testimony submitted for the Senate Judiciary committee being held tomorrow. They will discuss four gun control bills. Some citizens will testify in person before the committee. If you can't testify in person tomorrow the committee accepts written testimony, but it had to be in by noon today. It has been mentioned several times in this forum.

Crap. I honestly did not see that. Is there a mod that can contact me? Can we make this type of info a sticky at the top of the forum (one for OR, WA, ID? (I volunteer to create the OR as punishment) so noobs like me cannot miss it?

after reading about 40 of them, i have found its littered with people who only get their info from peirce morgan and diane frankenstein. this is looking so bad for my generation and there really is nothing i can do about it personally. i have done what i can to make my voice heard but its just not going to do anything im afraid.

Saw this in the opening statement of the Agenda for tomorrow:

"Individuals who are not able to testify at the hearing, may submit written testimony (electronically or hard copy) to the Committee by Monday April 8th, 2013, at 5PM."

So I guess that might give some of us a second chance to do it right.

after reading about 40 of them, i have found its littered with people who only get their info from peirce morgan and diane frankenstein. this is looking so bad for my generation and there really is nothing i can do about it personally. i have done what i can to make my voice heard but its just not going to do anything im afraid.

Don't give up so easily. See my post above. You have been given a second chance to make your voice heard.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top