JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There's truth to comments from both sides of the issue.

My hunch is it's the way the vendor handled the "situation" that prompted the initial post.

Actually the vendor with the snarky about how people don't read sign wasn't there directly in front of me and didn't say anything. The other one Wifey had to point out I didn't even look at, just walked away. It's embarrassing, and I'm not looking to see if I'm being glared at. It's should be pretty obvious to anybody watching me though, if i'm picking up a gun I handle it like delicate glass. I think the issue for me is...I see something interesting, it's easy to touch, (I mean why is it RIGHT THERE on the table?) My attention is on the gun, I don't notice any note! It's not like I'm driving and have to pay attention to a hand full of important things at all times. No, I didn't see any sign on a 3" X 5" card. If you don't want people touching your merchandise, hang a BIG OLD sign there!

Speaking for myself though not a gun-show tabledweller and having been similarly turned off gun shows by surly sorts myself, I don't care if it's a gun, a book or my research notes...

If you want a closer look at something, it's only polite to ASK ME FIRST! Maybe I can give you a little extra info that your eyes and hand alone can't, too...

Just ask nicely first. That's not really THAT much to ask, is it?

Just ask nicely first. That's not really THAT much to ask, is it?

You didn't see the the masses that were at that show! There's really no one to ask unless you want to stand and wait, or interrupt someone talking to someone else ten feet away.

As others have stated , when at a show , I'll ask first , before picking something up.

When doing a show with our antique guns we encourage you to pick up our guns.
I do like it when asked first ... but we have no signs saying it and no need to to give someone a snarky look or reply if they don't.

We keep a slightly oily rag handy to wipe down the guns from time to time.
We also try our best to keep a close eye on folks and what they are doing.
Guns from the 1780's and onwards can be a bit delicate and some parts are easily lost , bent or otherwise mangled.

It is a bit frustrating when you see folks pick up a gun and forget to handle it safely.
I'm talking watching where the muzzle is pointing or fingers on triggers.
Also it gets old having folks stick their fingers down the muzzles of the guns.

In our shows I've done my best to keep my temper in check when after repeated warnings this still occurs with the same person.
Usually I'll stop what I am doing and take the person aside and politely explain why they need to stop doing that.
Not meanly nor snarky , just a bit more one on one ... That seems to work the best.

Edit to add :
As a vendor one needs to remember to deal with and talk to person in front of you.
Treat 'em as an individual , not like he is the 100th jerk that just mishandled your gun , loudly told everyone one within earshot how wrong you are or just "clunked" a 200 year old stock against the table etc ...
Word of mouth is a far greater advertisement of your tables than any commercial.

Andy

Last Edited:
Also it gets old having folks stick their fingers down the muzzles of the guns.

I've never even thought about it, but it must be a natural thing, like sticking your head down a ship's 16" barrel.
If you shot guns with little barrel holes they wouldn't be able to do it. Maybe that's your problem?:D

Hey! Are you saying I'm a big bore? ( boor ) ... :eek::D
That was funny.

The not used to seeing a large bore on a rifle or musket etc ... might be it.
After sticking their fingers down the muzzle , its usually followed by the remark : "Look at the size of that hole!"

At the end of the day it not that big of a deal , just really gotta clean the bore or check to see if something was dropped down it....
Andy

Another thing to remember as a vendor is that the folks at the show can get "caught up in the moment."
They walk in or by ... See your cool gun and just gotta look at it and pick it up.
Most times they are not trying to be a jerk ....it pays to remember that as a vendor.
Andy

One of the GOOD things about the albany show, the isles were wider this time. I was told they cut down the amount of tables at the show, to to make it easier for people ti get around a little better. Another GOOD thing, there were people of all ages there, and i noticed some appeared to bring their family with them. This is good as well, educating kids and letting them see what firearms ownership entails. And, during times like this,in this state we need all the help we can get to give people a good impression of gun shows. To help attract more people to the sport of shooting or collecting guns.

Being patient with some one that is behind the table, trying to sell a gun, or wanting to ask a question, some times it just takes a little more time to do this. Put your self in the sellers place, sitting in a cheap plastic chair for hrs on end, answering the same questions all day long. Its not all fun, and big money, trying to sell things like you see in a gun show. It is a job, some times you do ok, some times you just barley pay for the table. You think its not a job? Until you've walked in their shoes, you'll never know just how much work it is. These are hands on gun shows, take the time to look, wait your turn to ask a question or come back later and ask. Most people don't mind if you just say, ''excuse me, i have a quick question" , ask it, and move on, or wait around and see if you can make a deal. Make it enjoyable or, your on the outside looking in, and you might as well stay home.

One of the GOOD things about the albany show, the isles were wider this time. I was told they cut down the amount of tables at the show, to to make it easier for people ti get around a little better. Another GOOD thing, there were people of all ages there, and i noticed some appeared to bring their family with them. This is good as well, educating kids and letting them see what firearms ownership entails. And, during times like this,in this state we need all the help we can get to give people a good impression of gun shows. To help attract more people to the sport of shooting or collecting guns.

Being patient with some one that is behind the table, trying to sell a gun, or wanting to ask a question, some times it just takes a little more time to do this. Put your self in the sellers place, sitting in a cheap plastic chair for hrs on end, answering the same questions all day long. Its not all fun, and big money, trying to sell things like you see in a gun show. It is a job, some times you do ok, some times you just barley pay for the table. You think its not a job? Until you've walked in their shoes, you'll never know just how much work it is. These are hands on gun shows, take the time to look, wait your turn to ask a question or come back later and ask. Most people don't mind if you just say, ''excuse me, i have a quick question" , ask it, and move on, or wait around and see if you can make a deal. Make it enjoyable or, your on the outside looking in, and you might as well stay home.

Wider aisles???? Holy cow, I was thinking wider aisles would have made it easier to move around and you're telling me they were wider? LOL

We did have a great time at the show. It was different than any other I'd been to. So much great stuff, and very intense with all the people. I actually despise being in crowds, but for some reason, since my very first gun show, I don't get the anxiety when I'm in a gun show crowd. I don't take up a bunch of vendors time when I'm not looking to buy. And I wasn't looking to buy at this show. I may get to question/learn something from a vendor that's just standing waiting, but I'm not going to keep them gabbing if they've got people looking to buy NOW. I did find the bullets for .30 Carbine at a good price. And bought a gong for what I think was reasonable.

Believe me, I do have empathy for those folks behind their tables. I realize it's not easy. But on the other hand, they must have some sick desire to put themselves through all that, or they wouldn't be there show after show. And if they weren't making money doing it, that guy from Bend wouldn't be driving all the way over to PDX and Albany for every show, would he? :)

Yes, they were wider, one of the guys guarding the door told me they made them wider this time. I could tell it for sure. I don't know who is, and who isn't making money at these shows. But, if he drove from Bend, no doubt he's hitting a lot more shows than just the albany show. Do yourself a favor and make the Rickreall Gun show, check for the date, but, i believe its this coming weekend. THEN,get back to me on how wide the isles were at the Albany gun show this past weekend. Your in for a treat. Believe you me!!! And, at Rickreall they have great food. Enjoy loll

Touching guns? Hmmm... I see both sides, and here's why:

One scenario... No sign, 3-4 vendors, all busy, double-sided multi-table display with 100+ run-of-the-mill $300-1000 firearms being actively pawed by 12-15 people on both exposed aisles. I don't feel terribly inclined to wait several minutes, or interrupt a conversation in progress - just to do what everyone else is already doing. I guess if that shop's policy were hands off, it would be posted and at least minimally enforced.

Other scenario... Still no sign, but vendor standing nearby and somewhat available. If they're busy yacking, a little eye contact and polite gesture (at the gun) seems to work well too. I feel more comfortable asking first. That's just me.

In either scenario, I can't wait to scrub my hands with soap on the way out of the building so I don't pick up some sneezing, coughing, skivvy-wrecking virus du jour from several thousand strangers. Especially since (right-handed or left) 96.32% of all shooters will finger a trigger, and their nostrils, with the same digit.

Last Edited:
I bought a "new" gun there on Saturday. When I got it home, it like like I didn't scan it collide enough, as that thing was dirty. It had been fondled by scores of folk. Gave it a good clean, now she is right as rain.

It's a basic issue of respect and common sense from both sides. Most vendors are there to sell and as such, it's not wise to jump down people's throats anytime someone puts their filthy meat hooks on your collection. Acknowledging them and politely correcting someone when they do make a mistake will go a long way. You never know who's in the market to buy. Likewise, I didn't see any signs to not touch firearms myself, but I still didn't assume I could. I waited for someone to ask if I needed help before I asked to pick them up. This isn't Cabela's with 10 overpriced Mosin Nagants sitting on a rack waiting for someone to pick them up like a mangy mut at the pound.

Personally I don't bother with signs on my tables. The people that are going to touch are going to touch with or without a sign, those that will ask, will ask. Most people are pretty careful with them, whether they ask or not. For those that aren't careful, it doesn't matter whether they asked or not.
When I see someone showing interest in anything of mine I make sure and tell them it is okay to pick it up.

Funny, @AndyinEverson mentions people sticking their fingers in his bore....:oops: There's been quite a few times that I put the pad of a finger to the bore to see if it's a .22 or a .45 or somewhere in between. I'm not picking up the gun. I'm also not able to get around and kneel down to see what caliber it might be. Touching the muzzle is the only way to do that!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top