JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just base it on your own existing knowledge. If you've never heard of it, it has to be super-rare. If you've never seen one, but heard of it, it must be rare.

Don't bother to do any research, except maybe see what the interweb warriors say on anonymous forums.

Never, under any circumstances look at established authors or actual relevant data or research, it will only confuse you with facts on the issue. Remember, if it says it on Wikipedia, it must be true.

I would liken it to the business advise we received in gunsmithing school from guys who had run shops. If it isn't selling, paint it black, put a star on it, and call it "tactical". It will sell much better. Or just call it mil-spec (because mil-spec is never built by the lowest bidder) for similar results.

If you want it to sell, call it rare. If you want it to sell fast, call it super-rare. Don't worry about ethics, remember what PT Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every minute"...

Because sarcasm is difficult to convey in text, please understand that this was sarcasm and if you want good advice, pretty much do the opposite of what I said.
If you are a buyer and someone is researching something as rare, do your research. Read actual books, look at production numbers, become knowledgeable from sources other than anonymous internet forums (no offense to NWFA, we have some incredibly knowledgeable people who post here) and Wikipedia. If that doesn't help, ask someone to point you towards the answer. Don't ask for the answer, ask how to find it.

Give a man an answer and he gets where he's going. Show him how to find the answer himself and he won't get lost anymore...:)

I believe I do - It seems to me the OP is attempting to equate 'rare' with 'valuable' or 'desriable' in the hopes this will somehow translate to interest and a quick sale.
Unfortunately 'rare', rarely denotes value. A LOT if things are rare but relatively worthless (or have very very little value)
The word 'rare' is essentially useless in the world of dealing or selling an item.
Sometimes items are rare because nobody wanted them, or they immediately broke and were trashed.

There's rare and there's desirable and sometimes both. There's less rare but more desirable and vice versa.

In my main realm of interest, martial arms, things like the 1941 Johnson rifle aren't all that rare as in they made a fair number but are still pretty desirable and as a result expensive.
Rifles like the 1895 Lee Navy are more rare as they only made about 22K of them and are historically interesting to military rifle geeks but don't seem to command as high a price as the Johnson. More rare, less desirable I guess.
Or, something like the Egyptian Rashid carbine of which they only made 6K or 8K, depending on who you read. Pretty rare but probably not all that desirable.

As always, supply ("rare") and demand ("desirable") rules the day.

Walker colt = rare
Pink 1911 with rainbow grips with fluffy clouds on them = super rare.

IMHP, do your research on your gun. I think there are books out there that will say how many of a certain model was produced.

Rare is someone trying to sell a used glock for under $500.
Super rare is them trying to sell a used glock for under $475
Unicorn rare is a used glock for under $450 and a must have even if you don't like glocks. But good luck getting your hands on one of those.

If you have a item that to the best of your knowledge is truly a one of a kind, then Super Rare it is. One of the Winchester Model 1873 "One of a Thousand" Rifles might fit. Just Rare is harder to define. I guess if there are maybe 100K of the item it could be called Rare but that's just a guess.
I have a finnish capture svt40, compared to many surplus rifles they are definately rare, compared to others that almost never got imported they are abundant. Consider the market of the area, how many people on this forum own svt's? How many shops in the PNW or even gunshows regularly have them? Semi regularly?
Now of coarse you can always go on gun broker or wait for rock island to auction up and theres probably atleast 3 or 4 actively there.
I rambled too long , point is study the local market .

Just for fun I typed "rare" into the search bar on Gun Broker. The response was..."Displaying the first 10,000 items that match your criteria. Please refine your search."

So I refined the search to "super rare" and it returned 564 matches. :D

E

Rare? Expensive but not a shooter?:confused: Too nice to shoot.:eek:
I love old Rare and Super Rare guns. But not for me. I will spend my money on a shooter.:D
Super Rare------------
Gas Trap Garand
14554808_1.jpg
1911 GI 45 Singer Manufacture
singer10.jpg
1935 S&W Registered Magnum
DSCF06172.jpg

If I owned any of the above firearms in post # 54 ( ron's) ... I'd shoot 'em.
I would also properly maintain them as well.

If you use the loads the guns were intended for and do regular and proper cleaning and maintenance I see no issue with shooting said "rare" gun from time to time.
'Course one must use common sense when doing this:
No "Hot Loads"
Perhaps shooting only under range conditions / nice weather
Maybe searching out and buying a few extras of specially marked parts that can commonly wear out
Things like that...
Andy

Rare? Expensive but not a shooter?:confused: Too nice to shoot.:eek:
I love old Rare and Super Rare guns. But not for me. I will spend my money on a shooter.:D
Super Rare------------
Gas Trap Garand
View attachment 402612
1911 GI 45 Singer Manufacture
View attachment 402613
1935 S&W Registered Magnum
View attachment 402614
I had a good number of Remington Rand's in my old arms room. They were every bit as dependable as the Colt's. They were good pistols. To Andy's point though, proper cleaning and maintenance was the key to
longevity and dependability. All the crew served weapons, rifles and side arms were always battle ready for my fellow Cav troopers and Tankers. I was proud to be their armorer.
Toujour Pret.

I had a good number of Remington Rand's in my old arms room. They were every bit as dependable as the Colt's. They were good pistols. To Andy's point though, proper cleaning and maintenance was the key to
longevity and dependability. All the crew served weapons, rifles and side arms were always battle ready for my fellow Cav troopers and Tankers. I was proud to be their armorer.
Toujour Pret.

Cigars;
which Squadron and when?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR