JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Soon? They are full of ticks, fleas an worms until first freeze.
Old wives tale sort of. Yes they can have more bugs and parasites in the summer, but the whole first frost thing is bogus because they can carry worms and parasites in the winter too. Even then, it doesn't affect the meat. Hell even tularemia gets killed by cooking. I do check the livers though. I've hunted them and ate them through the summer on the east side, and when we had property up above Sandy.

Look for large areas infested with Scotch Broom. Coastal bunnies frequent those areas.

For a more productive shooting experience, this is a GREAT time to cruise the clear-cuts and glass for greydiggers. They hang out on slash piles sunning in the morning. Crafty if previously hunted, but an unbothered one can make for a challenging and successful stalk for a 6 year-old boy.

And a big male digger makes for a stunning "trophy shot" (half as long as the kid holding it up)!

Not really..winter rabbits I don't get ticks, fleas or see worms when cooking. But your mind is made up. Good luck.
I'm not saying the ticks and fleas don't exist, but it doesn't affect anything. Grey squirrels in the fall are the same way. Hell you wouldn't hardly be able to hunt them if you had to wait for a freeze.

1716606005917.png

Aloha, Mark

Look for large areas infested with Scotch Broom. Coastal bunnies frequent those areas.

For a more productive shooting experience, this is a GREAT time to cruise the clear-cuts and glass for greydiggers. They hang out on slash piles sunning in the morning. Crafty if previously hunted, but an unbothered one can make for a challenging and successful stalk for a 6 year-old boy.

And a big male digger makes for a stunning "trophy shot" (half as long as the kid holding it up)!
Those squirrels infested my wood pile and barn. After I eradicated most of them on my property, I took the war to them with my kids. The kids learned the basics of hunting by stalking using cover until they could get in range of the ground squirrels. My youngest got the biggest and my oldest got a trio of juveniles off two adjacent stumps standing. It was fun watching them get in position then crack the shot.

Little bunny's and ground squirrels are all over down here. The bunnys have very particular areas they use. Always next to the road and grass with adjacent cover.

Greydiggers are smart enough to learn very quickly how to avoid threats, and each "try" on the same digger reduces the hunteri's chance of success significantly. A big Greydigger is a trophy for even a seasoned hunter.

For a kid, such a trophy hard-won can be the spark to light a love of hunting to last a lifetime.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Oregon Arms Collectors June 2024 Gun Show
  • Portland, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top