JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Washington State friend that will be traveling through Oregon with his handgun.
He has a Washington State CHL.
What are the laws regarding his carrying a handgun (unloaded) in his SUV that has no trunk?
thanks!

Needs to be locked up whether its in a glove box, console, or some other container. The key can't be in the lock. This summarizes the couple relevant portions of the law which is ORS 166.250.

Oregon Firearms Federation | FAQ's. A Gun Owner's Guide In The Beaver State
Hi OFF,
I am a Texas resident and plan to drive to Oregon and Washington this fall. I have a TX CHL which covers me through all of the states I plan to drive through and I have a Washington non-resident CHL so I'll be ok in Washington too. My question is about the proper precautions that I need to take while I am in Oregon. As a "traveler" are there any special provisions that allow me to keep my firearm in my car (if not on my person) while in Oregon? When I cross into the state what should I do with my handgun? And does the same apply to long guns? I have a family member that likes to target shoot and I would not mind bringing one of my rifles along when I visit. Thank you for your help. You have a great site and look forward to hearing back from someone.
Thank you,

Oregon has no prohibition on carrying loaded handguns in your car. But the state DOES allow localities to restrict loaded carry of firearms “in public places” which, oddly enough, includes your car.
If you are in a place like Portland or Oregon City that restricts loaded carry by people who do not have concealed handgun licenses, you may not have a loaded firearm in your vehicle. Furthermore, if it is a handgun, it must be carried openly or “not readily accessible.” That means if you have a trunk it must be there. If you don’t, it can be in a locked glove-box, center console or other locked container and if the container is opened by key, the key cannot be in the container.
Long guns do not have to be “not readily accessible” but if you don’t have a concealed handgun license and you are in a locality that restricts loaded carry it must be unloaded.

I recently just purchased my first handgun and despite my research on state,county, and local gun laws I couldn't find or understand what is acceptable means of carry in my car. I don't have my CHL (yet) so what are the correct and legal methods of carrying whilst driving?
Loaded/unloaded, concealed/plain sight?

OREGON has no STATE law against carrying a loaded handgun in your car as long as it is :
a) Not concealed or
b) “Not readily accesible.”

“Not readily accessible" (for now) means:

(4)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
(b) If a vehicle has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:
(A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and
(B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.

However, localities are allowed to regulate loaded firearms in “public places” which now includes your car. This only applies to people without CHL’s.
So you need to check local regulations. In Portland, for example, you may not have a loaded gun anywhere in your car and you may not even have loaded magazines separate from the handgun. It must still, however, be either visible or “not readily accessible."

Keep in mind openly carried can mean laying on the seat next to you. if it is concealed it can't be easily accessible. I have been stopped a number of times with my pistol in a western style holster on the seat next to me. Easily seen by the officer. I just make sure my hands are clearly seen as he walks up. And no problems.

ORS 166.250 specifically states that a handgun in a holster on your hip is not concealed...

Some of the Oregon guys think otherwise, but the law (ORS 166.173) reads such that:

if he has a WA CPL it can be openly carried loaded as long as he does not enter any public buildings (think city hall as being that type of public building. ORS 166.370) Even without a CPL he can carry it loaded in the vehicle except in restricted towns (Portland, Salem, Astoria and a few others)

Please remember, If you do not have an OR CHL you may not conceal (except for the exceptions in ORS 166.260)

Best read the law, especially ORS 166.250, ORS 166.260, and ORS 166.173

So, if I have an unloaded pistol in its carry case (no lock on it), in a plastic/paper bag, in the backseat, thats illegal? I have no easy access to it from the front seat. Would a zippered bag work?

Why would it be illegal? Have you read the law? Try reading ORS 166...especially if you live in OR. Unloaded, you can have it anywhere you want. The guy that got in trouble..Ward? I think that's what his name was, had a loaded pistol, concealed, in a restricted city, and no CHL. Remove any one of those elements and the outcome probably would have been different.

Without a license you may have a LOADED pistol in your car with you, on your hip if you want, as long as you are not in Portland, Beverton, Salem and the few other cities that restrict loaded carry. Unloaded you can have it where you want.

If you have a OR CHL, you can carry loaded openly, or concealed, anywhere it is legal, included in those restricted cities....and there are very few places that are illegal, like courts, restricted areas of jails or mental health facilities...

Reading the law seems to be more restrictive on handguns in vehicles and less restrictive on open carry on the belt outside of a vehicle.

As per ORS 166.250(3), if it is carried openly in a holster on your belt, it is OC, vehicle or no vehicle. The vehicle part makes no difference.

The restrictions are only for those that local governments (Gresham is not one of them) that have used ORS 166.173 to restrict unlicensed loaded carry, and that only applys to non-license holders (non-license holders are also somewhat restricted per ORS 166.379).

I heard in Oregon, carrying a gun in your vehicle loaded is considered concealed if it is loaded with the ammo either in the gun or within reach of the occupants. I am also a chl holder in Oregon.

I have a Washington State friend that will be traveling through Oregon with his handgun.
He has a Washington State CHL.
What are the laws regarding his carrying a handgun (unloaded) in his SUV that has no trunk?
thanks!

WA CPL (Concealed Pistol License) is not recognized by OR, just as the OR CHL (Concealed Handgun License) is not recognized by WA.

I heard in Oregon, carrying a gun in your vehicle loaded is considered concealed if it is loaded with the ammo either in the gun or within reach of the occupants. I am also a chl holder in Oregon.

Read ORS 166.250(3) "Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section"

If it is on your hip in a holster, and not intentionally covered (that is, a seat belt doesn't count, a coat would) it is not to be considered concealed, whereever you physically may be. There are no exceptions to this section.

Where you get in trouble in Oregon is when you are unlicensed, the pistol is loaded, covererd up and not on your person (in a holster on your hip)...car or no car.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top