Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Question Regarding Oregon Law Transporting Firearms

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by skydiver, Jul 14, 2012.

1. skydiver

skydiver Sandy,OR Well-Known Member

I have a Washington State friend that will be traveling through Oregon with his handgun.
    He has a Washington State CHL.
    What are the laws regarding his carrying a handgun (unloaded) in his SUV that has no trunk?
    thanks!

2. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Needs to be locked up whether its in a glove box, console, or some other container. The key can't be in the lock. This summarizes the couple relevant portions of the law which is ORS 166.250.

Oregon Firearms Federation | FAQ's. A Gun Owner's Guide In The Beaver State

3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Keep in mind openly carried can mean laying on the seat next to you. if it is concealed it can't be easily accessible. I have been stopped a number of times with my pistol in a western style holster on the seat next to me. Easily seen by the officer. I just make sure my hands are clearly seen as he walks up. And no problems.

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  4. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I got my Oregon permit because I was into and out of OR weekly. Didn't want the hassle of having to comply with the law vehicle carry when I crossed that line.

5. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

ORS 166.250 specifically states that a handgun in a holster on your hip is not concealed...

Some of the Oregon guys think otherwise, but the law (ORS 166.173) reads such that:

if he has a WA CPL it can be openly carried loaded as long as he does not enter any public buildings (think city hall as being that type of public building. ORS 166.370) Even without a CPL he can carry it loaded in the vehicle except in restricted towns (Portland, Salem, Astoria and a few others)

Please remember, If you do not have an OR CHL you may not conceal (except for the exceptions in ORS 166.260)

Best read the law, especially ORS 166.250, ORS 166.260, and ORS 166.173

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  6. RB87

RB87 Oregon Active Member

So, if I have an unloaded pistol in its carry case (no lock on it), in a plastic/paper bag, in the backseat, thats illegal? I have no easy access to it from the front seat. Would a zippered bag work?

7. hermannr

Why would it be illegal? Have you read the law? Try reading ORS 166...especially if you live in OR. Unloaded, you can have it anywhere you want. The guy that got in trouble..Ward? I think that's what his name was, had a loaded pistol, concealed, in a restricted city, and no CHL. Remove any one of those elements and the outcome probably would have been different.

Without a license you may have a LOADED pistol in your car with you, on your hip if you want, as long as you are not in Portland, Beverton, Salem and the few other cities that restrict loaded carry. Unloaded you can have it where you want.

If you have a OR CHL, you can carry loaded openly, or concealed, anywhere it is legal, included in those restricted cities....and there are very few places that are illegal, like courts, restricted areas of jails or mental health facilities...

8. hermannr

As per ORS 166.250(3), if it is carried openly in a holster on your belt, it is OC, vehicle or no vehicle. The vehicle part makes no difference.

The restrictions are only for those that local governments (Gresham is not one of them) that have used ORS 166.173 to restrict unlicensed loaded carry, and that only applys to non-license holders (non-license holders are also somewhat restricted per ORS 166.379).

9. strick

strick McMinnville Oregon Member

I heard in Oregon, carrying a gun in your vehicle loaded is considered concealed if it is loaded with the ammo either in the gun or within reach of the occupants. I am also a chl holder in Oregon.

10. deen_ad

Did you read that or just going on hearsay?

11. deen_ad

WA CPL (Concealed Pistol License) is not recognized by OR, just as the OR CHL (Concealed Handgun License) is not recognized by WA.

12. strick

strick McMinnville Oregon Member

13. hermannr

Read ORS 166.250(3) "Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section"

If it is on your hip in a holster, and not intentionally covered (that is, a seat belt doesn't count, a coat would) it is not to be considered concealed, whereever you physically may be. There are no exceptions to this section.

Where you get in trouble in Oregon is when you are unlicensed, the pistol is loaded, covererd up and not on your person (in a holster on your hip)...car or no car.