JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Self responsibility and self accountability is a real b!tch sometimes…….

There is no one to blame except yourselves….. unless in the rare case you just turned 18/21 (grew up in a family without firearms) and can legally purchase firearms now.

Don't be mad at the process/FFLs. We all knew this day was coming eventually. Now it's here. What's the whole saying….. "Sh!t or get off the pot" or "Want in one hand, Sh!t in the other."

Before pointing fingers at FFLs I suggest taking a long and honest review of yourselves in the mirror.

Is all of this ok….. NO.
Is it right….. NO.
Is it Constitutional….. NO.
Is it happening…… YES.
Do politicians care…… NO.

7 Ps. Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

Some Oregonians are showing how poor their planning is. You can see it in their performance.
Regarding proper planning...How many FFL's were doing the 3 day release a month ago?
Answer is none.

Now I know the next comment is "should've bought your guns years ago." Many have, but many are still building their collection and for whatever reason, didn't have everything they wanted/needed just yet. There are many reasons why - cash, timing, age, space to store, etc. This new permitting law caused many to accelerate their buying. So I understand why some people have been jumping in over the last month. Good on them. The more gun owners we can have in Oregon the better.
I will empathize and support them doing whatever they can to get their guns out of jail.

But I agree, buying well before the feces storm is definitely what should've been done!! 100% agree.

Regarding proper planning...How many FFL's were doing the 3 day release a month ago?
Answer is none.

Now I know the next comment is "should've bought your guns years ago." Many have, but many are still building their collection and for whatever reason, didn't have everything they wanted/needed just yet. There are many reasons why - cash, timing, age, space to store, etc. This new permitting law caused many to accelerate their buying. So I understand why some people have been jumping in over the last month. Good on them. The more gun owners we can have in Oregon the better.
I will empathize and support them doing whatever they can to get their guns out of jail.

But I agree, buying well before the feces storm is definitely what should've been done!! 100% agree.
All I am saying is we can't be mad at FFLs for using their own discretion. Whether it's if they do/or not release firearms after 3 days. Conduct private party transfers, or choose who they set their procedures for (well known and trusted customers vs random dude off the street).

These FFLs livelihoods and potentially the future of their business is on the line. Not only in regards to liability but also in regards to their longevity and the inventory they have money into. They have served us as customers for years…. It's our time to return the favor. Not only with funds but with patience and understanding as well.

Answer is none.

Yes there are some who got caught pants down who it was not their fault. That has ZERO to do with the people who should have known better and ignored what was happening until it was too late. Many of them now want to aim their anger at everyone else. Everyone else is supposed to come save the day for them.

All I am saying is we can't be mad at FFLs for using their own discretion. Whether it's if they do/or not release firearms after 3 days. Conduct private party transfers, or choose who they set their procedures for (well known and trusted customers vs random dude off the street).

These FFLs livelihoods and potentially the future of their business is on the line. Not only in regards to liability but also in regards to their longevity and the inventory they have money into. They have served us as customers for years…. It's our time to return the favor. Not only with funds but with patience and understanding as well.
Agreed!

Then the "FFL hopping idea" could actually help FFL's. LOL :)
If you've got transferred guns sitting at an FFL that won't do the 3-day release, you've already paid them for the BGC fee and whatever transfer fee they charge (they've made their money). This is assuming you aren't making an in-store purchase with the OG FFL and cancelling a sale - that's not cool.
Hardest part will be getting your guns to another FFL that is willing to do the 3-day release.
Previous FFL will either have to hand deliver or be willing to ship the items to the new FFL.
Then you'll have to pay the BGC fee again AND pay the new FFL whatever they charge for transfer fees.

So you're actually supporting two different FFL's (paying fees twice) for one transfer. :)

Agreed!

If you've got transferred guns sitting at an FFL that won't do the 3-day release, you've already paid them for the BGC fee and whatever transfer fee they charge (they've made their money). This is assuming you aren't making an in-store purchase with the OG FFL and cancelling a sale - that's not cool.
Hardest part will be getting your guns to another FFL that is willing to do the 3-day release.
Previous FFL will either have to hand deliver or be willing to ship the items to the new FFL.
Then you'll have to pay the BGC fee again AND pay the new FFL whatever they charge for transfer fees.

So you're actually supporting two different FFL's (paying fees twice) for one transfer. :)
So are you going to pay their hourly wage while they sit on the phone for 7+ hours with OSP trying to cancel a check? And then are you going to pay their hourly wage and gas money to drive it/come pick it up from your preferred FFL? And are you going to complain when you have to pay another back ground fee (which may be even higher than the previous one you already paid)?

Who's going to compensate for the funds lost while that employee is in the back room sitting on the phone unable to help other customers during these hectic times?

The logistics of moving firearms around, canceling, re-logging S/N etc. sounds like it would be a nightmare. With all that said I can almost guarantee the people complaining about not getting their firearms released are they same people who are trying to buy guns for 500.00 dollars or less. You really think they are gunna front the fees to cover all the nonesense.

No they're are going to come to this forum and b!tch about it.

So are you going to pay their hourly wage while they sit on the phone for 7+ hours with OSP trying to cancel a check? And then are you going to pay their hourly wage and gas money to drive it/come pick it up from your preferred FFL? And are you going to complain when you have to pay another back ground fee (which may be even higher than the previous one you already paid)?

Who's going to compensate for the funds lost while that employee is in the back room sitting on the phone unable to help other customers during these hectic times?

The logistics of moving firearms around, canceling, re-logging S/N etc. sounds like it would be a nightmare. With all that said I can almost guarantee the people complaining about not getting their firearms released are they same people who are trying to buy guns for 500.00 dollars or less. You really think they are gunna front the fees to cover all the nonesense.

I completely agree...the logistics, costs and time of getting the items from the OG FFL to the new FFL are the biggest hurdle and likely make this idea not possible in most instances.

Let's hope OSP gets the BGC machine cranking so none of this is even necessary!

Better yet, the judicial branch sees BM114 as the unconstitutional piece of trash it is and the whole thing gets tossed out completely!

Nailed it!

So why are so many bagging on the OP for a simple question??
Good question. My goal is to get as many firearms as possible released to owners before M114geddon hits. I called the 12-6s today and they were happy to hear from me.

If an FFL doesn't want to do three day releases that is their business. If their customers ask the FFL to facilitate moving the firearms to an FFL who will and they refuse, that is also their business. The customer will then have a decision to make with their future patronage of that FFL. When you are stuck in a queue that is throwing you farther back everyday, it will be hard to understand why your FFL is not facilitating a move to an FFL who could get your firearms to you in five days.

Good question. My goal is to get as many firearms as possible released to owners before M114geddon hits. I called the 12-6s today and they were happy to hear from me.

If an FFL doesn't want to do three day releases that is their business. If their customers ask the FFL to facilitate moving the firearms to an FFL who will and they refuse, that is also their business. The customer will then have a decision to make with their future patronage of that FFL. When you are stuck in a queue that is throwing you farther back everyday, it will be hard to understand why your FFL is not facilitating a move to an FFL who could get your firearms to you in five days.
What business of it is yours? Your "goal" is yours and if you're not an FFL it's just a bunch of hot air. You don't have any ability to get more guns in people s hands. And based on your recent activity you're more concerned with getting guns in YOUR hands. I don't blame you there at all, we all are. But I cannot see how you are providing any help or service with your "goals".

Last Edited:

I talked with FFL today and he said he has canceled background checks via email and you don't have to call.

I completely agree...the logistics, costs and time of getting the items from the OG FFL to the new FFL are the biggest hurdle and likely make this idea not possible in most instances.

Let's hope OSP gets the BGC machine cranking so none of this is even necessary!

Better yet, the judicial branch sees BM114 as the unconstitutional piece of trash it is and the whole thing gets tossed out completely!
We had a customer come in today to fill out a background check for a pistol and semi-auto rifle. She was an Oregon resident and had them shipped to a Vancouver FFL not realizing she couldn't do the transfer there. The Vancouver FFL drove them down and delivered them to the shop, so we could do the transfer for her. The Vancouver FFL charged her $120 total, $50 of that was a fee for delivering the firearms to the shop. Then she had to pay $50 to us for our transfer fees. Luckily she got an instant approval and was happy to be able to take firearms home same day.

Agreed!

The receiving FFL (or agent of FFL) can pick up the firearms from the current FFL holding them. If the FFLs were close to each other (that is the reason I asked about which FFLs were holding firearms and not doing no reponse releases) it might be easy to pick firearms up. A fee would probably be charged for pick up but it might be cheaper than what FFL charges for outbound transfers.

I tried to do this very thing for a customer 2 days ago and Kurt's refused to attempt to cancel the BGC
Getting cooperation from FFLs currently holding the firearms is going to be the biggest hurdle to this maneuver. If they don't like the three day releases, they might not approve of other FFLs who are doing them.

"... But I cannot see how you are providing any help or service with your "goals".
Brainstorming ideas/exploring options of how people might get their guns is helping other people.

1670731247970.png

Last Edited:
Yep. The customer kinda got the feeling that even asking them made him feel like he was bothering them and they didn't wanna deal with it, which I don't blame them for I'm sure it's been super hectic lately

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top