JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Perhaps this was mentioned elsewhere, if it has please direct me there. My question has to do with bans on devices or firearms that are currently legal, but, become illegal (just presupposing some of the suggestions fly). I read the following interview with Tick Licker on the proposed ban. My question - do we law abiding gun owners eat the cost for what we invested into the thing/object/device or are we grand fathered in somehow?

Here is the article - buckle up.

<broken link removed>

These bans are usually "destroy it, sell it out of state, or turn it into the police"

Yes, these are eat the cost kind of laws (as well as any cost you need to protect yourself) because you are an evil gun owner.

Depends on the wording in the proposed ban etc...
Some are worded so items can be "Grandfathered" in ...some are worded as stated above you must :
Destroy...
Sell out of state...
Or turn in to a "Higher Authority"....

All in all it seems kinda ironic , to me , that some of the folks that are wanting more freedoms...want to curtail the freedom of others...
Andy

Perhaps this was mentioned elsewhere, if it has please direct me there. My question has to do with bans on devices or firearms that are currently legal, but, become illegal (just presupposing some of the suggestions fly). I read the following interview with Tick Licker on the proposed ban. My question - do we law abiding gun owners eat the cost for what we invested into the thing/object/device or are we grand fathered in somehow?

<broken link removed>

It is impossible to "guess" what any law makers will come up with. The great mag ban was written so any already out there were legal, just no more. Same with great "assault weapon ban". Some states soon did not like this and made different laws. It is anyone's guess what any law maker will come up with next. If some state suddenly says something you own is now illegal? Pretty simple, you either choose to become a law breaker and ignore it, or you comply and get rid of whatever you have or move. The BATF is well known to just make stuff up out of thin air as they did with a couple shotguns many years ago. So again, if Feds come up with some new law, or rule, anyone has 2 choices.

Pretty simple, you either choose to become a law breaker and ignore it, or you comply and get rid of whatever you have or move. The BATF is well known to just make stuff up out of thin air as they did with a couple shotguns many years ago. So again, if Feds come up with some new law, or rule, anyone has 2 choices.

yeah.....i hear ya but that comes with severe consequences. A friend of mine once said, " I would never ever do anything that would jeopardize my right to carry a gun" weapons violations would certainly do that.

yeah.....i hear ya but that comes with severe consequences. A friend of mine once said, " I would never ever do anything that would jeopardize my right to carry a gun" weapons violations would certainly do that.

I most likely would not either but this same question just keeps being asked over and over again. People come up with a plethora of "what if's" about new laws they "hear" are on the way. With the same question every time, "what are we to do?". The answer is still the same every time although that does not seem to slow down the asking. Many get angry when I point out the obvious. <shrug>
Bottom line is gun owners bring all this on themselves then rant and rave after. All this is done by gun owners choosing to either "compromise" or saying "all politicians are the same so I refuse to vote", or a combination of both. Bottom line is left keeps marching on while gun owners allow it and often even vote for it. We will just have to deal with it for as long as it takes to get enough gun owners to say they have had enough and vote. I am not sure this will happen in my lifetime from what I have seen. Makes me sad for my kids.

It all comes down to what the state knows and/or can prove you own! I' my State of Colorado, the mag ban is in full swing, but is totally unenforceable, they can stop you from purchasing complete magazines, but are completel powerless to stop the sales and ownership of "Kits" and they know it full well. There is a near constant war cry in Denver and Boulder to try and stop this, but they are unable to figure out a way to do it. We all know the work around, drill a hole in the mag body at the 10 round mark, and the State is powerless, because it follows the letter of the law! The LEO simply laugh, none will enforce this stupidity, unless your really blatantly flaunting things, they leave you alone! So far this mag ban has stopped exactly 2 people, and none others! I would imagine the ban on guns would ether have a gradfather clause, or lime Cali did, grandfather them for now, then remove they clause the next go around! After that, how would they know what you own? Regrestry? Legal or otherwise? Gives Us a means to fight back at that point, but some one would have to take a case before a jury or the 9th and we know how that would play, so it would need to go the SCOTUS to have any chance! In the meantime, they still have to find a willing party to enforce things, and that opens a whole #10 can of ch!t!

<broken link removed>
The Oregon measure would grandfather current owners. But if you choose to keep them, you must register them.

However, I'm sure stricter measures will follow. The initiative process has been made so easy in this state, just about anybody can get anything they want on the ballot. That's why we have to vote down the same tax increases year after year. It's a way of side-stepping the legislature. Changing the initiative process would go a long way towards defeating this kind of nonsense. It's a lot harder to get the legislature to act.

Yes, as long as it is a muzzle-loader. Everything else will be eventually banned.

This is somewhat uncharted territory in my humble opinion. The 5th amendment speaks to the fact that the government can't take things from law abiding citizens for the public use, without providing compensation. The grey area here is whether taking guns is considered "public use." Certainly this is being done for the "public good," but is that the same thing?

I'm not sure there is a lot of case history here for the government taking something that was legal one day and making it illegal the next. And this is obviously aside from the fact this is very likely a violation of the Second Amendment. However SCOTUS seems to have made it pretty clear that they regard 2A as a secondary right and that they're unwilling to wade into this issue so I don't think we're going to get much help from them. One can only wonder how long things will remain peaceful. Because this looks like a pretty good way to start Civil War II, if you ask me. :rolleyes:

5th Amendment
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

You know... I have had exactly 1 speeding ticket in my 57 years and that's the extent of my interaction with LEO. I certainly hope that I don't have to choose between obeying a unconstitutional law and becoming a criminal... Since this is a public forum....As Bubba Gump would say "That's all I've got to say about that"

Unfortunately, they will skirt the compensation issue, by claiming it's not coverd as public good or any other reasonable arguements. As we have seen, they also have no problem violating any part of any law they see fit to get their way! Then they go shopping for a lawyer and a judge and have a "Hearing" to make it legal, or like Bloody Kate would likely do, make an Executive order on midnight before a holiday, using what ever evil language she comes up with to make it sound good and take them and make you pay for the privilege to have them taken!:eek::mad::(
Don't think they wouldnt try either, stay sharp, stay vigilant, stay armed!:)

I never lost my 2A Right or any other Right. After the governor, senators, mayors, criminals, police get rid of their gun plus all the Weed shop loopholes are closed and Oregon follows all Federal laws, possibly I will call that a first step. Contact me when the first step is made.

I've made similar posts several times but somethings need repeating. Like Rights aren't compromised. They can only be violated.

GEUSS WHAT if they get there way he will not be able to carry a gun any way that will be coming soon after NO MORE CPL OR CCL WHAT EVEN YOUR STATE CALLS IT

Bottom line is, VOTE this piece of garbage bill out of existence! If you have relatives that are not registered voters, help them to get registered. Then, get everyone you know, to vote against it, even if you have to drive them down to drop off their vote,or take it down for them.

I never lost my 2A Right or any other Right. After the governor, senators, mayors, criminals, police get rid of their gun plus all the Weed shop loopholes are closed and Oregon follows all Federal laws, possibly I will call that a first step. Contact me when the first step is made.

I've made similar posts several times but somethings need repeating. Like Rights aren't compromised. They can only be violated.

...So, I should make my house a "Sanctuary Property". I mean the State of Oregon allows weed shops though it is illegal, and wont deport known illegal aliens. If this damn state can't abide by the federal law, how can they expect it's citizens to abide by the state law?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top