JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How many of you have licensed your dogs? I just got back from a vet visit, I have a 16 week old rotty. The vet said since I just got the rabies vaccination to go ahead and register my dog??? I have never heard of regsitering or licensing a dog with your county. I know my intial instict when asked to register anything is to figure out what the purpose is. So being a new dog owner I'm just curious what other people do. I have plenty of friends with dogs and they have never mentioned it. Some have the chip, but they didn't pay a "dog tax" to the fing county. Thanks in advance!

Well, first time I got married,

In Portland Oregon lo these many years ago...........

In the bowels of the Portland Courthouse, I finally found

A neatly lettered sign which simply stated

"Licenses, Marriage and Dog", with an arrow

To point me in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

isher

Although I feel licensing your dog may help in locating it when lost, I am also getting leary of having the state know any more than they already do.

What next chipping me?:s0131: I have a dog and like most of you pet owners love them as family and would protect them fiercely. Does not registering your pet imply irresponsibility? Good question! I am of the belief that putting an engraved tag on his collar is sufficient. :s0159:

BTW, congrats on your new addition! Rotts are great dogs.

Will :)

I believe there is a fine or citation if your dog is caught without a license. It's probably more a revenue stream to offset animal control costs than anything else. At least, that's how it probably started.

I licensed my dog while she was around.

elsie

In Clark county we were able to point to the number of registered dogs to push the parks dept and city to get us more 'official' dog parks. I think the number of registered animals may benefit the budget of local animal shelters and enforcement. All my dogs are chippped. They all have tags with 'reward' and my cell numbers on them. I've registered all my dogs, gotten the tags and never put them on the collars. Never had a problem. Get you kid chipped and a county tag and a tag for contacting YOU if the dog is lost. Then decide if you want to renew. Atleast you wil have a tag.

Hey thanks for all the info. I was just leary about the necessity of it. This is a quote from the Washington County website

"There are fines of up to $500 if you fail to obtain a dog license or if you own or are keeping an unlicensed dog. We do door-to-door license compliance checks and do enforce this animal control laws and ordinances of our County."

I just don't see the need for them to come to my door to make sure I re new my license. Since they don't know I have a dog now, why tell them? It just seems a little intrusive over a pet. However it sounds like the right way to go, and if the money supports animal efforts in the community I'm all for it. Although maybe a simple donation of $49 would suffice ;) Thanks will, he's an amazing dog. I'll post a pic or two. Thanks everyone for all of your input!

Thanks, I usually have to explain a brief bio on him when I tell people his name. You can see their wheels turning "oh great a bald white guy with a dog named after a nazi". Although there are a few more educated people out there now. I think I'm getting a second one next year from the same parents, if so I'm going to name him patton. Hopefully they can keep it civil :)

My wife works for our county clerk, she says that all but 5% of dog license fees go to local animal shelters. The 5% is the state mandated amount that stays in the clerks general fund.

Maybe we should licence our kids as well to help fund social services......

My dog is licenced only because I have to.

Then again, I don't believe we should be forced to get a permit to protect myself with a firearm either...

Maybe we should licence our kids as well to help fund social services......

My dog is licenced only because I have to.

Then again, I don't believe we should be forced to get a permit to protect myself with a firearm either...

:s0155: Pretty much sums it up for me also.

Nice looking pup also!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads