JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll receive a bill of sale receipt from the store front dealer. So, on a new gun purchased retail vs private party the record is no different now than before sb 941?
incorrect.
Before SB941 the state had no record of the private party sale but they did have a registration on all retail sales. After SB941 the state has a registration of all sales private or retail.

No agreement has to exist. The sale just has to be legal in both states.

I.E., each state - the state you are buying in, and your state of residence, must not have any law prohibiting the sale of that long gun to you.

I - a resident of OR - can buy in WA state, or Colorado, or N. Dakota, or Texas, or Arizona as long as I adhere to the laws of both states. No agreement has to exist between the states.

I guess it's semantics, but that's basically what I meant, each of the states listed has decided to allow sales to residents from Oregon. Whether there's an actual agreement, I don't know. Like ccw reciprocity, each state decides who it might sell to (honor other state's ccw's), but it can vary so one has to look into it.

What part exactly?

"Generally, a person may only acquire a firearm within the person's own State. Exceptions include the acquisition pursuant to a lawful bequest, or an over–the–counter acquisition of a rifle or shotgun from a licensee where the transaction is allowed by the purchaser's State of residence and the licensee's State of business. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes."
You posted 'no you can't unless your state of residence has an agreement with the state you're buying from...'
Didn't exactly see that part anywhere in the ATF statement

I guess it's semantics, but that's basically what I meant, each of the states listed has decided to allow sales to residents from Oregon. Whether there's an actual agreement, I don't know. Like ccw reciprocity, each state decides who it might sell to (honor other state's ccw's), but it can vary so one has to look into it.

It can be interpreted that way.

My point is that they don't have to agree - they just don't have to disagree.

They don't have to do anything. If they make no law prohibiting the sale, then it is legal. They don't have to think about it. They don't have to reach an agreement. They just must not have any laws on the books that prohibit sales of long guns to residents of other states.

As long as the sale doesn't violate a law in either state, then you are fine buying buying a long gun in a state you don't live in. Federal law says it is okay.

You posted 'no you can't unless your state of residence has an agreement with the state you're buying from...'
Didn't exactly see that part anywhere in the ATF statement
Right, it doesn't say what Heretic is saying, but it doesn't not say it either; it's a pretty broad statement that doesn't really address the issue. My use of the word 'agreement' was misleading, and I think we can defer to Heretic's knowledge of the subject as he seems to know more that I do, that:
"As long as the sale doesn't violate a law in either state, then you are fine buying buying a long gun in a state you don't live in. Federal law says it is okay."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top