JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"The department may retain a record of the information obtained during a request for a criminal [records] history record check for no more than five years."

Presume the state has it registered for 5 years and then presume the state forgot to get rid of the information after 5 years.

I'll receive a bill of sale receipt from the store front dealer. So, on a new gun purchased retail vs private party the record is no different now than before sb 941?

It is technically not a registration,even with the new law.
Will you get an actual tittle with the rifle?
Not a registration

I consider it registration if the state knows who owns the fire arm at any given time by linking the serial number to the owner with all the vital statistics about the owner.

you have to consider the people who wrote the law and their intent. Prozanski's intent was to specifically punish gun owners. Remember his sister was shot and killed by her abusive boyfriend and he is now on a quest to punish gun owners. The exact reason he left the C&R FFL out of the exemptions. His intention was to specifically get the state a list of gun owners and what they own. If a ban took place, just like the SAFE act in NY, we will be getting letters informing us that we have a firearm to turn in for destruction, just like in NY.

I consider it registration if the state knows who owns the fire arm at any given time by linking the serial number to the owner with all the vital statistics about the owner.

you have to consider the people who wrote the law and their intent. Prozanski's intent was to specifically punish gun owners. Remember his sister was shot and killed by her abusive boyfriend and he is now on a quest to punish gun owners. The exact reason he left the C&R FFL out of the exemptions. His intention was to specifically get the state a list of gun owners and what they own. If a ban took place, just like the SAFE act in NY, we will be getting letters informing us that we have a firearm to turn in for destruction, just like in NY.
OK sure but still:rolleyes:

WA runs the BGC via NICS check/FBI. Oregon handles them via state police & NICS I believe but essentially saves a copy of the info IIRC. OR residents can purchase long guns in bordering states and OSP will not be notified. No handguns though, those must go to FFL for transfer.

WA runs the BGC via NICS check/FBI. Oregon handles them via state police & NICS I believe but essentially saves a copy of the info IIRC. OR residents can purchase long guns in bordering states and OSP will not be notified. No handguns though, those must go to FFL for transfer.

A resident of any state can buy a long gun in any other state, if the sale is legal in both states.

At one time the states had to be bordering, but that is no longer the case.

Sooooo to answer that outstanding question.... you can purchase a long gun in any state I the union IF that long gun is legal in both your state and the state you are buying it from
No, you cannot buy a gun in another state unless your state of residence has an agreement with the state you're buying in, example an Idahoan buying a rifle in Ontario, OR, just across the state line (unless you're an FFL holder where you can buy from other FFL dealers regardless of state, or at least something close to that). Yes, if you find yourself in another state, and want to buy a specific gun (and it is legal in your home state) they will send it to an FFL dealer in your home state where you can actually purchase the gun, plus all attendant fees (which is practically the same as buying a gun off the internet, which is in another state but is sent to your residence state where you purchase it through an FFL dealer).
SB 941 hasn't changed how guns are purchased over the counter, it basically makes all gun purchases/transfers that weren't previously covered by BGC laws before (i.e. private party sales), now have to be transferred through an FFL dealer, just as if you had bought it from a dealer, i.e. a BGC including an OSP managed inquiry into the NICS which is a federal database, and transfer fees. I think the sales transaction does create a de facto registration, as here in Oregon the OSP are bound by law to destroy transaction documentation within 5 years; I heard a statement made by OSP official that they usually destroy them by 90 days; what actually happens is not really known (maybe someone here does) but it probably won't get better. The actual FFL dealer has a record of the sale that they must keep for 20 years, in their store, that is to be made available to the ATF upon request. That is why there has been controversy about the ATF making a large number of questionable requests for the records, form 4473.
Form 4473 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_4473)

No, you cannot buy a gun in another state unless your state of residence has an agreement with the state you're buying in, example an Idahoan buying a rifle in Ontario, OR, just across the state line (unless you're an FFL holder where you can buy from other FFL dealers regardless of state, or at least something close to that). Yes, if you find yourself in another state, and want to buy a specific gun (and it is legal in your home state) they will send it to an FFL dealer in your home state where you can actually purchase the gun, plus all attendant fees (which is practically the same as buying a gun off the internet, which is in another state but is sent to your residence state where you purchase it through an FFL dealer).
SB 941 hasn't changed how guns are purchased over the counter, it basically makes all gun purchases/transfers that weren't previously covered by BGC laws before (i.e. private party sales), now have to be transferred through an FFL dealer, just as if you had bought it from a dealer, i.e. a BGC including an OSP managed inquiry into the NICS which is a federal database, and transfer fees. I think the sales transaction does create a de facto registration, as here in Oregon the OSP are bound by law to destroy transaction documentation within 5 years; I heard a statement made by OSP official that they usually destroy them by 90 days; what actually happens is not really known (maybe someone here does) but it probably won't get better. The actual FFL dealer has a record of the sale that they must keep for 20 years, in their store, that is to be made available to the ATF upon request. That is why there has been controversy about the ATF making a large number of questionable requests for the records, form 4473.
Form 4473 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_4473)
Hmmmm
That may conflict with the ATF statement

Hmmmm
That may conflict with the ATF statement
What part exactly?

"Generally, a person may only acquire a firearm within the person's own State. Exceptions include the acquisition pursuant to a lawful bequest, or an over–the–counter acquisition of a rifle or shotgun from a licensee where the transaction is allowed by the purchaser's State of residence and the licensee's State of business. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes."

No, you cannot buy a gun in another state unless your state of residence has an agreement with the state you're buying in, example an Idahoan buying a rifle in Ontario, OR, just across the state line

No agreement has to exist. The sale just has to be legal in both states.

I.E., each state - the state you are buying in, and your state of residence, must not have any law prohibiting the sale of that long gun to you.

I - a resident of OR - can buy in WA state, or Colorado, or N. Dakota, or Texas, or Arizona as long as I adhere to the laws of both states. No agreement has to exist between the states.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top