JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been wanting to install a new trigger on my Smith M&P for quite some time to get rid of the wretched "gritty" trigger feel. However, I've been seeing that if I do this, the gun will no longer qualify to be used in IDPA matches.

Anyone got the 411 on this? Thanks!

You can do pretty much any trigger work you want and still be able to shoot it in IDPA matches.

To shoot in SSP you can do any internal work that is not externally visible. If you change the trigger its self then you would have to shoot it in ESP because the trigger is an externally visible modification.

Damon Mon Wai
Certified IDPA Safety Officer
My Match Videos - YouTube

Thanks Damon! I've been battling back & forth over whether to get the Apex Tactical DCAEK trigger kit, or the FSS trigger kit. DCAEK has no visible mods, while the FSS installs a whole new trigger within the pistol.

Thanks Damon! I've been battling back & forth over whether to get the Apex Tactical DCAEK trigger kit, or the FSS trigger kit. DCAEK has no visible mods, while the FSS installs a whole new trigger within the pistol.

I shoot an XD9 in IDPA so I don't really know which kit is the best. But I have heard the Apex kits make a huge difference. If you get the kit that has a whole new trigger, then you will have to shoot in the ESP division. Realistically there is not much difference between ESP and SSP. SSP usually has more people in it but thats because 90% of the guns people bring to the match are legal for SSP. The classification times are the biggest difference, ESP times have to be faster to reach the same classification as SSP. I shoot in ESP only because XD's are not allowed in SSP.

Damon Mon Wai
My Match Videos - YouTube

Truthfully, I'm really leaning toward the Apex FSS trigger kit. In spite of the fact that I would not be able to shoot in the SSP category, I still feel this would be the best trigger mod for my pistol as I've had some real trouble whiffing shots with the stock trigger. I love my M&P, but there's flat out a huge amount of take-up in the hinged trigger, and that gritty feeling in the trigger is very bothersome.

Word is that the FSS trigger kit turns the M&P trigger into something that feels more like a 1911 trigger, with very short uptake, lighter pull, and a more tactile reset than the stock trigger. I feel this would greatly help my accuracy.

I guess my greatest worry that I have participating in an IDPA match would be a negligent discharge while drawing. How do you guys feel about complete newbs participating? Is there a newbie match? Should I watch a match first before participating?

I heard that the FSS kit is really good but I've never tried one yet. If that is the kit you want, then go for it. You will just end up in ESP, which isn't any big deal at all.

In IDPA, like other action pistol events, we watch each shooter very carefully. As long as you take it slow and easy when drawing and don't get your finger on the trigger until your target is in your sight picture you will be fine. Safety Officers will watch very carefully where your finger is at all times, if your finger is on or near the trigger when it shouldn't be you will hear the SO call out "FINGER". Thats your cue to check where your finger is and get it away from the trigger and up on to the gun frame.

Now if you do have an AD/ND, then you will be disqualified and not allowed to continue in the match for the day. You are welcome to stick around and watch or help out the rest of the match but you won't be allowed to shoot anymore. But you are welcome to come back for the next match and shoot.

Newbies are totally welcome! Most ranges will have New Shooters attend some kind of New Shooters Meeting in the morning before the match starts. If you are planning on shooting IDPA at Tri County, Shaun Hescock is the match Director, he is on this forum as xcessiv4c, contact him to get the full info for New Shooters at Tri County.

Damon Mon Wai
My Match Videos-YouTube

Do you have plans to do classes again Damon?

Yes I do!!

Right now I have one tentatively scheduled for Saturday March 2nd at Norpoint range in Arlington. It will be an IDPA 101 class just like I did last summer but adapted for an indoor range. I'm also looking into scheduling a class in February at Renton Fish & Game Club range but don't have a date yet.

Thanks for asking!!
Damon

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews