JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am looking for a great place to Hike-in and camp for a couple nights. I want to do a little bit of fishing on a lake and I don't want to hike more than 10 miles to get in (unless it is REALLY great). I live in Portland but I was looking into areas east of Salem (the higher elevations). I was hoping for a remote spot that I wouldn't run into too many people. I need to be one with nature!!! Let me know if anyone has any good ideas or spots that they recommmend. Thanks.

Jon

I am looking for a similar trip, remote location to pack into and spend a night or two without seeing anybody. A friend mentioned Bowerman Lake, its up near Marion Forks on HWY 22, mile post 70. Anybody have any knowledge or advice about this area. Thanks.

Kai

you might wanna research where you are going,, cause (i may be wrong on this).. some areas that are considered wilderness sanctuaries,, it is against the law to have a gun in your posession.

The Wonder Mountain Wilderness has no roads or trails whatsoever. If you want remote, this is remote. There are several lakes in the wilderness, however Lake 3995 in the northwest corner is the largest and does have fish. The hike in is only about four miles, but it's a brutal four miles. Expect to be hiking up a very steep incline for about eight hours. I accessed it from the Skokomish River Trail, 2½ miles in then depart the trail easterly, follow the draw up the ridgeline to a saddle, pass through and down to the lake.

EDIT to add: You can carry a handgun in the wilderness, there are no laws against doing so.

The TOPO:
6bd1efd7-4a4a-4cd7-ba64-6b22650dc3ff.jpg

868f8cc4-90ac-46f7-adea-6327ea5d6494.jpg

5e8570c5-0527-4648-b49f-c2bdabe3a553.jpg

ac377480-a1b3-4803-8ee1-9148d59e822c.jpg

f9128096-044e-457c-811b-f5c9ec0a3033.jpg

5973c302-a7ac-450a-8f23-a6184effb056.jpg

Now that is what i'm talking about. That is some great looking country. Thanks for the pics. Its a little far for me, but I would look at this for an extended trip in the future. Thanks.

Although this picture is from a different off-trail hike, the steepness of the hillside is about the same. It's no walk in the park....
bfe47b77-8b94-417a-ad93-959bee6ab84e.jpg

Is that near Mt. Hood? It looks a lot like my favorite fallen log
The guy in the second pic is a friend, not me. That hillside is insanely steep, by the way.

Out.. Someplace, I have honestly forgotten.

Bend, oh I love the high desert and the volcanic rocks everywhere.

A quick run up the gorge to Eagle Creek Fish Hatchery, you can park and take your chances with your car. Hiking up the Eagle Creek gorge is awesome, great fun in summer. Has some steep and crumbling rock areas not for beginners and less than teenagers. It is beautiful, and has some fantastic falls to see, and even a tunnel falls.

In late July, try Soda Peaks lake in the trapper creek wilderness. It's north of Carson, WA. From Portland it is closer than Mt. hood.

The lake is a true outdoor experience. High mt, surrounded by old growth, soda water, filled with trout and craw dads. I have spent entire weekends with out seeing other people. Alot of times, people that do come are day hikers. Because of the distance they don't stay long. If you go, fishing pole and crawfish trap are nice to pack in. Don't forget pancake mix for the huckleberries. If you look for it on old maps, they call it lost lake.

And just about anywhere in Indian Heaven wildderness is spectacular too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top