JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I might glass-bed Savage 10 rifle that is currently in a B&C target/varmint heavy stock. I red somewhere online that, with Savage rifles, one should only glass-bed under front action screw, but not under rear action screw. Thus, should I glass-bed my Savage (18" heavy barrel) just under front action screw?

I have also read that you are wasting your time bedding anything but the recoil lug. That does not make it true.
Think about the purpose of bedding. You are trying to make the stock fit your gun like it was painted on![ no room for movement].
If I'm going to the trouble, I pillar bed and action bed.
The pillar's allow me to torque the action into the stock without crushing the wood. and the action bedding fills any gaps in stock to action fit. I also connect the action bedding to the recoil lug, so that everything is now one piece. DR

I have also read that you are wasting your time bedding anything but the recoil lug. That does not make it true.
Think about the purpose of bedding. You are trying to make the stock fit your gun like it was painted on![ no room for movement].
If I'm going to the trouble, I pillar bed and action bed.
The pillar's allow me to torque the action into the stock without crushing the wood. and the action bedding fills any gaps in stock to action fit. I also connect the action bedding to the recoil lug, so that everything is now one piece. DR
The Bell & Carlson varmint/target stock already has pillars for action screws. However, I think the stock is not perfectly shaped and the front of the action is not perfectly fitting into the stock. I put a thin layer of gun oil on the stock and checked if the whole area on the rifle action has oil on it. I see two spots where there is no oil on the action, so that tells me that the action is not perfectly sitting. The rifle is a great shooter and constantly shoot 1/2-1MOA (average 4-shot group is 0.78 MOA as of my last shooting). I am sure with a good glass bedding the rifle would turn into sub 1/2-MOA rifle. I listed the rifle for sale here, but no one was interested (except for a law-baller who offered 1/2 of my asking price, which is already very low considering that the rifle was customized with a nice target stock and fluted bolt). Since no one was interested, I will periodically shoot the rifle, so I want to get the best accuracy possible. Good glass-bedding might do the trick. I already ordered a high-quality glass-bedding kit and 2 long action screws. I will plug the action screw holes with these long screws in order to prevent any bedding material to enter into the action screw holes and I will hold the action in the stock with a couple of clamps.

I might glass-bed Savage 10 rifle that is currently in a B&C target/varmint heavy stock. I red somewhere online that, with Savage rifles, one should only glass-bed under front action screw, but not under rear action screw. Thus, should I glass-bed my Savage (18" heavy barrel) just under front action screw?
Pillars and action bedding. You want the whole action because you want the unit fully supported.
Personally, I think people say "don't do the rear screw" because they're intimidated by the bolt release mechanism and the Savage sear. It's easy to muck up if you're sloppy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top