JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I started reloading with the Titgroup powder. I reloaded about 15 rounds for test firing before making any further big batches. I fired them this morning and I noticed that there was muzzle flash every time I fired each of those 15 rounds. I also noticed burn marks at the end of my muzzle. Normally, I see muzzle flashes randomly every few rounds with with factory rounds or my other reloaded rounds. To all those experienced reloaders out there, is this something to be concern about? Is this a sign that I need to lessen my powder amount?

Here's my techincal specifics:

4.2 to 4.3 grains of Titgroup (Based on Lyman's 49th & from from other reloaders from this website)
115 grain Xtreme or Berry's plated bullets
Range pick brass
Glock 43
S&B or Winchester small pistol primers
Lee Classic Turret
Bullet length close to the max of 1.169 as to not have too much pressure

Thanks to everyone in advance for all your answers.

If your within load specs from the book, you should be fine. You could also try backing it off and see what happens flash wise. I've never used that powder, so I cannot speak of it from experience. Bullseye and unique have been my go to powders for 9mm and .45 ACP, with bullseye getting the nod.

I guess you won't want to use that powder for any self defense ammo, especially in low light conditions.

Titegroup is economical but it is "flashy" for lack of a better term. It wouldn't dirty my guns as much as bullseye but it did almost always scorch cases.

I shot mine in full size pistols as well, out of a short g43 I can imagine it is much worse.

I use cfe pistol now, it costs a little more but it is super clean, even in blowback PCCs.

I use Titegroup almost exclusively for 9mm.

I usually use 3.5 grains with 115s. Cycles all the time in everything I own.

Using more in a short barrel like your 43 is likely why your getting heavy flash.

Back off the powder, a lot. Titegroup does well with very low powder charges.

I use Titegroup almost exclusively for 9mm.

I usually use 3.5 grains with 115s. Cycles all the time in everything I own.

Using more in a short barrel like your 43 is likely why your getting heavy flash.

Back off the powder, a lot. Titegroup does well with very low powder charges.

Thanks for your tip. I was hoping to get some feedback from an actual user of Titegroup for 9mm. I've reloaded 10 rounds at 3.5 grains and I won't be able to shoot it until this weekend. In the meanwhile, I noticed what a small amount of powder this was. You've had no problems with the gun not cycling due to such a small amount of powder? Also since the small amount of powder leaves such empty space in the bullet, does that empty space have any negative effect? Thanks.

4.3 grains and 115 grain is a max load on most all of the load data charts. Short barrel
also contributes to the muzzle flash. I use Titegroup for my IDPA loads. I use a 147 grain
FP Berry's platted bullet and 3.5 grains of Titegroup. Excellent accuracy and the heavier bullet
generates less recoil.;) The opposite of other calibers when it comes to bullet weight vs. recoil.
I second you try CFE pistol. Blue Dot generates huge muzzle flash.:confused: Lyman load data is a
little on the hot side. I like these one caliber load data books of all major bullet and powder
manufactures.
185458.jpg

I use Titegroup for 9mm as well. For 115g bullets, I run from 3.7 to 3.9 typically. Haven't noticed an issue with muzzle flash myself, and everything cycles just fine.

Having just bought a 9mm Glock in December and worked up dozens of loads for it, I had mixed results with Titegroup, but IIRC, was at the under 4gr level for match loads.

I used Titegroup, WSF, 231, Ramshot Silhouette, and Power Pistol. Power pistol gave the best accuracy, but man oh man was it flashy with heavier recoil!

Ramshot Silhouette and 231 give me the best combination of accuracy and tame recoil/low flash. Titegroup is a bit higher up on the scale but not nearly as bad as Power Pistol.

Thanks for your tip. I was hoping to get some feedback from an actual user of Titegroup for 9mm. I've reloaded 10 rounds at 3.5 grains and I won't be able to shoot it until this weekend. In the meanwhile, I noticed what a small amount of powder this was. You've had no problems with the gun not cycling due to such a small amount of powder? Also since the small amount of powder leaves such empty space in the bullet, does that empty space have any negative effect? Thanks.
Yep it looks very different at first if you are used to other powder.

It's a lot easier to notice a double charge with because of that though.

Zero issues with the extra empty case volume.

Like it says on Titegroups bottle.

A little goes a long way.

Power pistol gave the best accuracy, but man oh man was it flashy with heavier recoil!
That's my experience as well with the higher loads, but I've found that it's also accurate with milder loads, which have hardly any flash at all, but might still be a bit on the loud side.

I settled on a 124gr bullet at around 1,000-1,500 fps, which was just enough to make IDPA power factor. It's worked well for me so far, but I'll be switching to BE-86 once I'm done with this pound of Power Pistol.

If you're shooting 9mm/.40 from a full size HS-6 works very well. No big flash that I can detect. In the higher pressure rounds it burns clean and completely. Better case fill that the faster powders. Wider weight range than Titegroup to play with too.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top