Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Quadcopter FAIL

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kruejl, May 31, 2016.

1. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

Yes, this was me behind the sticks playing with a new toy I bought. It started off OK and then went SOUTH quick! I was flying a new quad in windy conditions along with not having the experience needed for a quad. Have flown helicopters for a long time but this thing got away from me quick. I tried to correct but the wind kept taking it farther away. It finally landed itself after I pressed the panic button. I drove around for a while until I finally found it, sitting in a vacant lot with the LEDs blinking like it was ready for more. Enjoy and laugh away!

brokenarrow, Joe13 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  2. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

Nice to see it was smart enough to land in an empty lot :D

Joe13 likes this.
  3. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Glad you found it.

Joe13 likes this.
  4. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Well according to many NWFA members, you ought to be jailed and your drone shot. There's no reason to have a drone except for trying to spy on peoples' 16 year old daughters sunbathing in their sorta fenced backyards. You're just damn lucky it wasn't taken out with droneshot. Justifiably so.

5. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

Yup. That's exactly why I bought it. I think I'll turn myself in to the local authorities as well as surrender my firearms.

Joe13 and 308 like this.
  6. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Hillsboro? You know there is an airport right? You have to comply with the FAA regulations.

7. uscsoldier

uscsoldier Salem, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

What quad do you have? Did you see my video and pics from the machine gun shoot using my Phantom 3 Pro

8. uscsoldier

Please read the FAA rules yourself before you go running you mouth!

9. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

That'll teach ya..... dang pervert! :D;)

10. Kruejl

Oh man, the Phantoms are sooo nice. Mine is a cheap-o Syma. I bought just to get a feel for them as I've flown helis for quite a while.

And @Stomper my skills clearly show i have a ways to go to be a pervert! :p:D

Stomper and Joe13 like this.
  11. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'm pretty sure anything under 500' is not regulated but I could be wrong.

That was pretty cool even if it didn't go as planned.

I'm a pervert and can't fly a quad at all, it's not something you really have to work on:p:p.

My first RC plane I took out just before dusk and of course it got dark faster then I thought. Could not see the wings and did a nose dive straight into the dirt. Had to replace most of the parts...

I've wrecked and rebuilt an RC helicopter so many times I should have just ponied up all that cash and bought a nice one instead of a cheap one - wanted to get a feel for it after hours and hours on simulators (i.e. Video games lol).

Never got into the RC cars thankfully:D.

Can you see the video IRT or do you have to review it after it has been recovered?

And auto land is sounds like a great function.

12. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

400' agl max.

Joe13 and Garg like this.
  13. Kruejl

I have to review it after it lands. Stores on a MicroSD card

Joe13 likes this.
  14. Kruejl

There's an airport in Hillsboro? Sweet! Gives me another place to fly this bad boy!

Redcap and uscsoldier like this.
  15. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

I fly small RC planes and quad copters, usually around Forest Grove and SW Portland ball fields.

Halfway home last month, I stopped on a side road to get some video footage of an open field on my little 808 camera. It was fine for 3-4 minutes, then along came a helicopter heading for Hillsboro. Probably a VFR student on final, I'm guessing 200-300 AGL tops.

I was about the same altitude, so I dropped and landed before he passed directly over my head. Grabbed my bird and split. FAA RC license or not, I'd hate to see one of my toys go into the intake or prop of a real aircraft, with or without a mishap. Even that far from OHI, I was surprised they flew so low over there.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  16. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

hopefully its a registered drone;)

17. uscsoldier

You know that not all have to be registered right?

v0lcom13sn0w likes this.
  18. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

:eek:u mean to tell me theres unregistered drones flying around??!?

19. captqc

captqc Tigard Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I'm pretty sure I saw Bigfoot in the woods:D. Glad you were able to recover it. In my neighborhood someone put up a sign asking if anybody has seen his rouge drone!:eek:

v0lcom13sn0w likes this.
  20. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

I don't have to do a damn thing.

Kruejl likes this.