JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In IDPA, which I compete in, sight technique is dependent on distance. Nevertheless there are a lot of opinions out there among IDPA shooters. This explains it best for me:

"Probably, the optimum answer is to use all three of these shooting techniques: PS for real close distances of 3 yards or less, FSP shooting for over 3 to about 10 yards, and Sighted Shooting for beyond about 10 yards. Effective PS, just like Sighted Shooting, is dependent on the time available, the distance to the target or threat, and how much accuracy is actually needed to resolve any given situation. With any technique, practice for accuracy is what really matters."

Where PS = Point shooting, FSP = Flash Sight Picture. Flash Sight Picture Technique for Close-Up Defensive Shooting - USA Carry
I also shoot IDPA and agree with this....which technique depends on the distance. Practice all three, especially since IDPA has put more emphasis on accuracy. Speed is nice, but if you can't get accurate shots it doesn't do you a lot of good in real life.

FYI, there has become two groups/types that shoot IDPA. One is the group of dedicated competitors... they want to win. They train to get faster, more accurate, try new weapons, holsters, etc, in their effort to win. We have had a lot of USPSA shooters move to IDPA and they were pretty much race gunners in USPSA. They bring that same focus over to IDPA.

Then there is the group that wants to learn more about tactical techniques that can apply to real life situations. They believe that IDPA is providing them a source of info and training. These are a continuation of the original intent of IDPA.
Good explanation between the two groups. While I do shoot USPSA, I don't like the fact that it does seem like a game and it's all about speed and less about accuracy. I prefer IDPA for the reasons you mention.

Yep, like I said, it's nothing more than a bunch of kids playing games with Guns. If IDPA was still being run the way it started it would be a different story, but the Money Kids got started and the whole idea is nothing but that - a game.
I disagree. They have made changes to rules in the last year or so, and one of them penalizes those who shoot quickly but are very inaccurate. It cuts down on those who want to make a game out of it. At our monthly match almost everyone is there because they
believe it helps their self defense training. Most of us are not gamers.

Last Edited:
The SO Reserves isn't IDPA - they don't award prizes, if that's what you are looking for.
Other than state championships, IDPA matches I attend don't award prizes either. And we aren't looking for prizes, we are looking for training and to have an enjoyable match.
Everyone gets you hate IDPA. Fine. Don't insult the rest of us who compete in it and find it beneficial. And enjoyable.

I wonder how many people that say they don't need/use sights put/have expensive night sights on their rigs because when it's dark, it's way more important to use your sights that you don't use. lol

NWGlockgal: I don't believe I insulted anyone. But some people have very thin skins, so...

FYI I'm done with this thread.
You insulted everyone's intelligence by saying only those that have killed five people with a handgun have anything worthy to say on said subject.

NWGlockgal: I don't believe I insulted anyone. But some people have very thin skins, so...

FYI I'm done with this thread.
Don't let us chase you away. However, when you basically call us a bunch of game players I find that insulting. If you don't like something, fine and dandy. Don't compete.

I enjoy the competitions, but not the competing... score just doesn't matter to me. I am always in the middle. I used to shoot USPSA Limited and was always in the top of my division. But as has been mentioned, that is truly a game. I went up to the range while a USPSA shoot was on and the round count for the match was over 500rds. :eek:

So glad I switched to IDPA. Our local matches are low key, a few hyper active competitors but they are not obnoxious and we usually group/squad by ability. It's all good. :cool: If we ever get like the bigger clubs I don't think I would continue.

We have fun, I always learn something that translates into shooting skills or SD skills, and it is affordable since I am on a very restricted budget. Is it the ultimate in SD training, I don't think so, but I know more now than I would have otherwise.

Can we please bring the comments back to the topic of:
Focus on the the front sight or target...?

Lets also keep the comments positive...And as always remember rule number one:
Be excellent to each other.
Thank you,
Andy

I'm positive that nobody else's opinion/attack negates my positive experience. I have only said what works for me. And I'm positive that I will continue to do so despite displays of aggression.

...Moriarty

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads