JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The classic method I was taught was to first focus on the target, then the front sight. My own particular eyesight issues (severe myopia, astigmatism, and old-guy-itus) are such that with my corrective lenses on, the front sight cannot be in focus. Conversely, without correction the front sights are the ONLY things in focus. I've competed with others who don't wear any correction when shooting. When I tried that, I racked up the Failure to Engages because the targets were so fuzzy, I couldn't verify that I'd shot them. I'm reading Brian Enos' book and he advocates training your eye to first see the target and then bring the sights to the target with the eyes focused "just enough" to reinforce the sight picture. Some have described this as focusing in the space between the target and the front sight so you can "see" all at once (not super clear but clear enough).

10 seconds to
Align your sights
Picture the target
Focus on the front sight post
squeeze off the shot
After 10 seconds, oxygen deprivation causes the shakes.
De-focus, dismount gun, breathe deep a couple times.
thanks to the United States Marine Corps
main-qimg-202c842f7e8bdd44c2e280e52737bd34-c.jpg

OP
One thing that I didn't see addressed here (I didn't read every post). IMHO sight pictures takes a backseat to your Firearm manilpulation, specifically perfecting the trigger squeeze. It doesn't matter how you've mastered your sight picture and sight alignment, if your pistol moves when you manipulate the trigger, your accuracy will suffer. If you can master the mechanics of transferring the energy in your grip and trigger finger into the trigger squeeze with a minimum arc of movement, you will hit anything that pistol is aimed at within the range of the weapon.

100x This! Manipulating your weapon by feel is a key to shooting, especially a handgun. Feeling what its like to send a shot with good, repeatable technique gets your brain focused on the course of fire and not your gun. I shoot mostly Glocks and M&Ps. They are slightly different in feel, but the controls are basically the same. The gun has to be a part of you. That takes lots of trigger time in a place where you can focus on you. Its like watching a 16 yer old in drivers ed who has to make deliberate moves because running the car isn't natural yet.

You can get into some strange angles and positions in competition. They can dramatically effect your point of impact and how well you weapon cycles. A corner or barrier causing you to use an imperfect grip can cause malfunctions.

Train train train when it comes time in a shooting your PROBABLY Not going to have time to line up the sites like you do at the range .this should be a fluid movement from hollsters to line of sight and fire .train train train pulling the gun and bring it up to SHOOTING position . practice a draw bring it up and fire over and over and over and over and over and over and over ok I'm done

I don't know if you do this but just stand in your garage or room or what ever and draw your gun 25 times bring it up and pull the trigger put it back in the hollster do it over and over I garantee your arms and shoulders will get tired . it's not a every day movement you must train to do this the same way every time

Speaking only for myself here...
This is what works for me :
For defensive shooting..both eyes open...focus on the target and where I want to hit it.
For target work / those small tight groups we all like for the high score...Both eyes open , focus on the front sight.

I do think that with good practice you will find what works best for you , your gun , your gun's load and how you shoot...
The key here is to practice at what works for you...and stick with it.
Andy

Hey yall, for the longest time I've been aiming with one eye and aligning up the sites and then firing, but lately I've been trying to aim with both eyes open. I did some research online and many recommend focusing on the front site while lining up the back, and both the target and back sites will be blurred. I did this many times dry-firing and the concept made sense and I thought I had it down. But once I got to the range I couldn't actually aim, I just shot center mass and the target looked like swiss cheese. Which I guess is great for self defense in under 10yards, but I also want to have good accuracy for trying to compete in IDPA. What did work for me was focusing on my target and bringing up the frontsite THEN slightly focusing on the frontsite w/out losing my target too much, backsites were brought into alignment almost naturally, and then firing. I found myself extremely accurate with that. So which way is correct technique and which way I should focus on for improving marksmanship?...

There's a huge training facility in Nevada called Front Sight. That should tell you all you need to know.

The classic method I was taught was to first focus on the target, then the front sight. My own particular eyesight issues (severe myopia, astigmatism, and old-guy-itus) are such that with my corrective lenses on, the front sight cannot be in focus. Conversely, without correction the front sights are the ONLY things in focus. I've competed with others who don't wear any correction when shooting. When I tried that, I racked up the Failure to Engages because the targets were so fuzzy, I couldn't verify that I'd shot them. I'm reading Brian Enos' book and he advocates training your eye to first see the target and then bring the sights to the target with the eyes focused "just enough" to reinforce the sight picture. Some have described this as focusing in the space between the target and the front sight so you can "see" all at once (not super clear but clear enough).

This is actually a great description of what i ended up doing at the range. I do wear corrective lenses so im probably in that category.

Piazza - ugh.

Never met the guy, never met anyone who HAS met the guy, likely never will meet the guy. Never receive phone calls from Front Sight. Never receive emails from them either. The only thing I get is the occasional mailer. Say what you want about the dude, I like going there.

Are there no one similar in WA state? Unless Everett boeing starts flying out to Nevada for under 100$ i dont think id be going to NV any time soon.

My statement was in response to the OP's original question, not as an endorsement of a particular training facility. Besides, have you checked prices on Southwest Airlines? My plane ticket from Portland to Las Vegas was actually LESS than $100.00 this time around!

Never met the guy, never met anyone who HAS met the guy, likely never will meet the guy. Never receive phone calls from Front Sight. Never receive emails from them either. The only thing I get is the occasional mailer. Say what you want about the dude, I like going there.

My statement was in response to the OP's original question, not as an endorsement of a particular training facility. Besides, have you checked prices on Southwest Airlines? My plane ticket from Portland to Las Vegas was actually LESS than $100.00 this time around!

Thats not bad. If the range is next to vegas even better i have a timeshare there lol. But usually when i check prices from seatac its 180+. But thanks for the recommendation ill kee an eye out once Everett starts flying out of Boeing Airfield.

I've gotten all that, and my brother had personal dealings with him... he's a jerk!!

Despite all that, I would never try to convince you not to go there. However, I do take issue with your implication that front sight use is all one needs to know about defensive shooting because you are ignoring, and suggestion the OP ignore, what is a subject with many opposing views by "experts".

Speed and accuracy work together, which is to get hit(s) as soon as possible.
Pressing the trigger at the speed needed to control the sights to hit your target is what it's all about.

If the threat is in anyway difficult to hit, you will need to slow down on the trigger and focus more on sight alignment.
If the threat is close and easy to hit, then….....this is no time for a bullseye type group, in fact, you need to be pounding shots into the threat as fast as possible and stop the threat NOW!
Most of the time you will be somewhere between the two above examples.

Practice this process slow at first...speed will come with practice.

Your decision on how fast vs. how slow to press the trigger, how much front sight vs. combat look through and/or body index is based on two things, your perception of the threat situation AND your perception of your skill with your equipment.

If you practice only one trigger press and sight alignment you are a target shooter and not preparing yourself properly for the street, and doing yourself an injustice.

Recognize the need for different levels of trigger press and sight alignment, practice at those levels and in between. In the fight have the ability to adapt to the situation smoothly not to survive, but to decisively win.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top