JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only thing I have to add is if you want to go bull barrel check out a tensioned CF barrel or an aluminum Tacsol barrel. Those should help cut the weight down a bit

Or a whistle pig barrel. They are aluminum with a steel liner and you can factory order them threaded if you want a suppressor down the line. Plus they are a local company (Aurora, OR)
You don't have to go crazy with internals but I'd recommend at least a volquartsen target hammer/trigger. they'll run you about $40 but take the super heavy factory trigger down to a nice 2 1/2lb crisp one. My groups shrank in half with that mod (8lb trigger on a 6lb rifle not so good for accuracy). For the stock, take your pick or hog out the factory one if you want to run a bull barrel. for scopes, anything from a $40 used weaver k4 (fixed 4x) to a mueller APV (4.5-14x around $120) work well.

I can agree with much of what has been said here except for "Don't mess with the internals" I have had several 10-22s and love the platform. But the bolt mod over at rimfire central is imho a must do. It will turn a jammo-matic into a very reliable weapon that will just about feed any ammo.

for just barely another $150 you could buy or build an AR and put the cmmg .22lr conversion kit in it, IMO that is the only way to justify spending $500 or more on a .22.

complete plumcrazy lower $130
dpms A2 upper $390
cmmg conversion $130

$650 for the gun and if you ran across some .223 or 5.56 ammo&mags you just need to swap bolts and you now have a high powered rifle.

^ $650 for an inaccurate iron-sighted .22lr/.223
I think the conversion kit is nice and economical if you already have an AR-15 but it's not very useful for much more than cheap training on the AR platform. My 10/22 is more fun to shoot, more reliable, and WAY more accurate than the cmmg kit in an AR.
If you've got an AR or plan on using one in a survival situation however, it would be nicer to carry the .22lr conversion for getting food rather than carrying a second rifle. It should be accurate enough for squirrel and larger sized game out to 50yds or so.

for just barely another $150 you could buy or build an AR and put the cmmg .22lr conversion kit in it, IMO that is the only way to justify spending $500 or more on a .22.

complete plumcrazy lower $130
dpms A2 upper $390
cmmg conversion $130

$650 for the gun and if you ran across some .223 or 5.56 ammo&mags you just need to swap bolts and you now have a high powered rifle.

for a survival rifle i kind of agree with this . that is if you are traveling light with only carrying 1 rifle a Ar15 with conversion kit is 2 rifles in 1 . as you will be able to bring down bigger game ( with good shot placement ) and small game

but . i would suggest a 1/12 twist barrel preferably a 20" with a adjustable gas block that you can close off the gas.

I was very pleased with the accuracy out to 100 yrds (every bit as accurate as a 10/22 with a factory 18") with a GM 1/12 20" ar15 barrel using a ceiner .22 conversion.
not so pleased in a 1/9 never tried a 1/7 but i bet thats sloppy.

It may not have been a reliable as a well tuned 70-80s 10/22

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR